It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chernobyl, Radiation, Strange Long Term Effects

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 05:21 PM
link   
According to Paul Harvey (ABC Radio) news broadcast at noon today, babies/children born to Chernobyl residents who were exposed to radiation (absorption unknown) are reported to have IQ higher than "normal" babies/children, or words to that effect. No reason was known or cited.

A cursory search of ATS, ABC News, ABC Radio news, and CNN for keywords radiation and Chernobyl was unproductive, or I might have missed it. Apologies if this is redundant.

[edit on 27/5/05 by Adonsa]

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Great !

We will have smart babies with one arm and no chin !

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   
hmm k

could it not just be due to mutation within the growth period when they are in the womb or were they already born???

Goverment plot to make ppl smarter?

do you have a link?

Is there any mutation physically either noticable by the naked eye or like increase brain size number of folds that can explain this........They must also have extremly high radiation levels, which would mean they should have some form of radiation sickness should they not ???

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Truthisoutthere
Great !

We will have smart babies with one arm and no chin !

ROTFLMAO!

Man you have got to put a humor warning or somthing up because my keyboard nearly got covered with the red bull I just spewed out of my mouth!

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Maybe Mr. Harvey was just shilling for the Nuclear Power industry, as he is wont to do with commercial products.

COALITION 21--SUCCESSFUL PRONUCLEAR ACTIVISM AT WORK

Coalition 21 is an Idaho Nonprofit Corporation that has qualified under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. It was founded by a group of public-spirited men and women who believe that nuclear technology has a vital role in the future of our nation.

Other members have an established rapport with inidividual decision makers or media personalities. For example, one of our members, long an activist before the formation of Coalition 21, has been successful in getting Paul Harvey's attention on a number of issues. We help these people with background information and peer review of their communications.

"Yes, America, nuclear power makes you smarter and helps you grow big and strong. And those extra fingers and toes help you grasp things better and run faster. Now you know the rest of the story, as presented by the nuclear power lobby. Good Day."

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by minority2000ukdo you have a link?

Minority2000uk,

I looked around some more and haven't yet found a definitive link,
however, I dug up this other fasinating Chernobyl URL.
This is a massive website describing Elena's motorcycle rides through Chernobyl
during the Spring of 2004

Kidofspeed.com - GHOST TOWN - Chernobyl Pictures -
Elena's Motorcyle Ride through Chernobyl
best to view the pages sequentially.

Kidofspeed.com

Adonsa

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 06:06 PM
link   
For the record, I'm NOT endorsing the Paul Harvey radio broadcast.
I defer to you guys for the expertise.
Thanks.
Adonsa

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Adonsa
[

I looked around some more and haven't yet found a definitive link,
however, I dug up this other fasinating Chernobyl URL.
This is a massive website describing Elena's motorcycle rides through Chernobyl
during the Spring of 2004

I have seen this site before. Man that chick loves her bike! You read as much about her bike and how she fixed it up as you do about her drive through Chernobyl.

BTW, I replied to a humorous post earlier and I realized I may have come off a little A holish. I apologize for that. I would like to say that the children being born in the vicinity of Chernobyl with birth defects are no laughing matter. My reply was in no way ment to convey this.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Hi Kidfinger,
No apology needed. I should have added the disclaimer to the top post to begin with.

As far as i can tell, that news story hasn't resurfaced. There's plenty of ways expectant mothers can get rad, like living in Colorado where normal background radiation is higher, or by messing with cesium or thorium samples, etc. Of course the consequencies are way worse than any benefit of giving junior a higher IQ.

As for Elena Filatova, here's her other website:
www.angelfire.com...

Maybe somebody should buy her a Harley.
Laters,
Adonsa

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 09:40 AM
link   
i wil;l not laugh at what most people say about radation exposure since i have had more than most folk get in a lifetime--i worked in radation in the airforce for 15years --this was top secreat stuff--in the process the gov did not know what radation could do and my body has suffered to results-- i started with rads with no badges to record exposure --no lead shield or prtection of anytype--i have had numerous cancers that i still fight- allergies to manmade things such that i can not go into a town without getting sick--bones and all that go with them that is deterating but no goverment doctor has a reason--however this is the first time i have heard that readation increased my smarts--there is a thread link to radation in lower doses effecting dna and genetic breaks so there is a possiblity-i guess- that the baby in the womb could have effective minor health risk changes--i never believe one sourse for fact statement-though research can be slanted towards what the researcher wants--i know the usaf taught me how to do this for yeaqrs. temperance

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I found this on the net

National Geographic has announced that the ARC Centre for Coral Reef Studies has surveyed the 1.2-mile crater from the hydrogen bomb tests at Bikini Atoll and discovered something phenomenal: the corals are bouncing back from nuclear annihilation.

Photo:
[img]http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/sites/default/files/images/http-inlinethumb45.webshots.com-16044-2494803340103329676S600x600Q85.preview.jpg[ /img]

How is this even possible? The first round of tests there sank 13 warships the U.S. Navy itself wanted to get rid of after World War II. Radiation is poison to every living thing. What could have possibly happened?

As it happens, radiation may not be the end of the world after all. How bad is radiation, really?

First there's this news out of Chernobyl--the surrounding ecosystems are thriving, and, while the enthusiasm is tempered, I'll reprint the key quote here:

"By any measure of ecological function these ecosystems seem to be operating normally," Morris told Nature. "The biodiversity is higher there than before the accident." How has this happened, given that radiation levels are still too high for humans to return safely? Morris thinks that many of the organisms mutated by the fallout have died, leaving behind those that have not suffered problems with growth and reproduction. "It's evolution on steroids.

That only explains the ability of nature to make up for man's complete screw-ups, however. Edward Calabrese, a professor at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst, claims that radiation may fall into a concept called hormesis: poisons that are lethal at high doses, are beneficial in low ones. Calabrese has spent his career studying the concept, and universally found that low doses of toxins lead to longer lifespans and enhanced growth-- as well as that high doses kill.

So what does this mean for radiation? The "allowable" dose of radiation in the 1920s was 700 mSvs (Milliservs), then 70 in 1941, and 20 in 1990. It's possible that we're missing out on major advantages through this restriction, because the science would support a J-shaped curve representing danger from radiation, instead of the simple threshold suggested.

Here is the link
www.environmentalgraffiti.com...

edited
trying to get the link right but ....

[edit on 5-7-2010 by DutchBigBoy]

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I'd like to see sources for this claim. I don't trust Harvey.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
The last bullet on this page, Chernobyl 20 Years On: Health Effects of the Chernobyl Accident from the European Committee on Radiation Risks (ECRR) report that that lists the effects would imply quite the opposite, but I suppose anomalies could occur.

More information on searches shows indications of lower, not higher IQ among children being born there. However, there appears to be a tabloid rumor that started sometime in 2005 that researchers in Russia discovered that some of the children had "higher IQs and faster reaction times."

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   
So radiation is a vitamin now along with flouride?
I'll stick with gnc.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
More unexpected results ?

It seems that our understanding of radiation effects is wrong as predictions do not fit the current discoveries.

Please, have a look at my thread on the subject. As it is fascinating nonetheless.

Radiation... Could it be a hoax ?

I do not claim radiation is a hoax tho, but the effects it has are very different then we expected. Or so it seems.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

It seems like nature is not being effected as humans do and that a limited amount of radiation might actually have a positive effect. Studies suggest that those genes responsible for being able to fight of radiation damage work a lot better when they are actually exposed to radiation.

Please, visit the link I posted. It is also in my signature.

Reply to post by DutchBigBoy

I''ve posted the info amongst others in my thread as well. Please feel free to share your opinion on it.

@ the OP

Thanks for posting S&F

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I swear to God Chernobyl is not funny.On YouTube I accidentally stumbled upon a video called Chernobyl
ecay and Deformed and the pictures I saw of those people with physical defects have scarred my mind for life.

new topics

top topics

join