It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creating Oil?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 09:35 PM
link   
This may seem absurd, but isn't there a way that scientists could find a way to create oil out of other chemicals? Could this possibly be a solution to the oil problem, and if they did, is there any way that they could produce enough to supply the world with it?

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   
There is, but it is way too costly and would never be effective, Shale oil is the way to go, we got plenty of it

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   
actualy the germans were playing with synthetic oils back in ww2. aparently it was considdered too epensive to continue.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Yeah I figured that it would be more expensive then what they would be getting out of it, but couldn't they do more research and find cheaper ways of creating it in large amounts.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   

by Drogo
actualy the germans were playing with synthetic oils back in ww2. aparently it was considdered too epensive to continue.

Yup,
I think that is true, but the Germans didnt just play with synthetic oil. They used it.
But it was from coal, which is hazardous all the way from the mines to the pollution. :dn Ref:

by omniscient
couldn't they do more research and find cheaper ways of creating it in large amounts.

"They" have, are and will continue. It is a race right?

by www.syntroleum.com...
Syntroleum Corporation, Marathon Oil Company and the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) dedicated the newly constructed gas-to-liquids (GTL) demonstration plant at the Port of Catoosa, near Tulsa, Oklahoma. It will employ the proprietary Syntroleumâ Process to produce about 70 barrels per day of ultra-clean synthetic transportation fuels.

Best of Luck

[edit on 26-5-2005 by makeitso]

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Oh, well hopefully they will find breakthroughs in this area of technology. Because at this point, they might need that to be able to produce MILLIONS and MILLIONS of barrels of synthetic oil a day.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 11:36 PM
link   

hopefully they will find breakthroughs in this area of technology.
It appears to me that they dont need a break in the technology. They have already done that.

The issue is the funding to build larger scale production facilities. It takes a lot of money.

www.syntroleum.com...

[edit on 26-5-2005 by makeitso]

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 11:54 PM
link   
The problem is that you still have to mine stuff to make the synthetic oil, and, since it's a hydrocarbon, it is dirty and unhealthy to burn.

We need a cleaner source of energy, like nuclear fission, imo.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I don't really know anything about nuclear fission, but isn't it dangerous?

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Or we could just go with solar energy... It's not too cheap, but we have all of space to use to gather it for as long as we want.

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
You said in your reply, MAKEITSO, that we have the ability, to put it into practice, but that its just the cost that is stopping us

And they have spent, so far, $250 billion, on the war in iraq!

Would that be enough thats needed!?

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Yes, indeed. I think the OPERATION: Iraqi Freedom is one of the biggest failures and waste of money and lives in the history of our country...

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Oil from the ground is very complex mixture of butane, Kersone,naptha...etc

Creating oil will be more expensive in a sense that you have to have an energy to break the Carbon and Hydrogen atom from something and energy to fusem together.

At 2010 people will be shifing to Natral Gas instead of oil because of the economy and unstablety of oil price

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Won't we do the same to Natural Gas??...Just use it until it's gone.

pao

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   
i heard they can make diamonds, so why wouldnt they be able to make a good cost- efficient oil?

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by pao
i heard they can make diamonds, so why wouldnt they be able to make a good cost- efficient oil?

Yeah, that was on ATS a few weeks ago. Didn't they grow them?

pao

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Omniscient

Originally posted by pao

Yeah, that was on ATS a few weeks ago. Didn't they grow them?

man, i don't know HOW they did it, but if they can make diamonds, and correct me if Im wrong, but i heard diamonds take a long time to get created, why can't we speed up the oil-creating process

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Yeah, that's true. We should be able to speed the production up alot.

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by eazy_mas
Oil from the ground is very complex mixture of butane, Kersone,naptha...etc

Creating oil will be more expensive in a sense that you have to have an energy to break the Carbon and Hydrogen atom from something and energy to fusem together.

At 2010 people will be shifing to Natral Gas instead of oil because of the economy and unstablety of oil price

Oil can be made from coal for $35 for barrel. Check my thread :
www.abovetopsecret.com...
It would stabilize the oil prices at this level. US for example has 26% of coal reserves for 200-300 years so no more prices instability.

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Everyone keeps mentioning the Germans but that was decades ago. South Africa also used that more recently for political reasons to be independent of oil imports. They weren't keen on an oil embargo for Apartheid. They even STILL use it on a considerable scale.

www.southafrica.info...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join