It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lefties in the Military

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 08:37 PM
link   
My friend was just saying how apparently colorblind people can't get drafted since I'm colorblind, but she couldn't confirm if that was true for all levels of colorblindness. So I was thinking about how it'd be good for me if lefties AND colorblindies couldn't get drafted. But that's not the point! (tell me what's true if you want
)

How is it as a lefty in the military?

I know that the M16 has the ambidextrous T-handle thing, but what about other guns? I would think that much of the equipment used is designed for or geared towards righties. Like controls in vehicles and grips that mould to the right hand and right-handed holsters. You know what I'm talking about. Surely they have lefty equipment, but is it hard to come by? Or maybe everything's ambidextrous.

How does the training go? It'd be similar to when a lefty takes a test on the right side of a righty-- always bumping elbows and getting in the way, never taught correctly by right-handed teachers, having to mirror everything.

Left Power! -left-handed Hitler salute-

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   
My husband served 22 years in the military and retired from the Marine Corps.

He had flat feet and is left handed, beside the problem with his feet and special soles he had to wear inside his boots he had not other problems.

So I guess been color blind carries more risk than just been left handed or having flat feet.

By the way my husband is an exellent sharp shooter, not problems there either.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
The main restricted MOS's would be those that deal with electronics, EOD, and aircraft pilot/crew chief. All of which deal with colors (wires, lights) that must be recognised.

It will not stop you from being drafted. However, as there is NO draft, you are worrying about (or counting on) nothing.

Forgot to add:

Lefties do just fine with all issued equipment and weapons. In fact, the M16A2 has been designed to NOT bounce hot brass off your arm or face. Most machine guns eject to the bottom, so lefty shooters have no trouble here either. The M249 ejects forward and to the right, missing anyone shooting it....but peppering anyone forward and to your right with hot brass and links! Trucks/HMMWV's are NOT set up for left side driving, neither are most armored vehicles...however, driving the M1A1 Abrams tank is perfect for a lefty, as nearly all controls are right in front of you.

[edit on 23-5-2005 by Army]

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Nah I'm not worrying or counting on anything, just thinking.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I'm ambidextrous in most cases and I find most things in ordinary life are easy enough with the left hand. Driving isn't a problem so I doubt that driving a Humvee would be problematic. Anyhow I've found that other than some of the hyper conservative nuns, lefties don't have much to worry about would be my guess.

top topics

join