It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lying about asteroids...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   
So the US and the world are so divided about all of our mortal affairs. Which president was it that said we would come together if attacked by aliens? Aside from obvious "La la la you lied to us, rar!" stuff, if the government were to tell us that an asteroid were headed for direct impact with the Earth, would it bring us closer together? They could say it's going to hit in several years and that they're working on a solution. I guess I'm thinking along war lines, as in bringing everyone together under a common goal. Could they fool the world? Would they be able to fake the explosion of the ~space object~ in the night sky? How much money would people spend on shelters? Would people go into seclusion and actually hurt the economy and society in general?

Heh, sorry about this being a dumb topic, but I want to contribute so badly! Please move this if it's not in the right forum. It's sort of a mix of science with space and politics, maybe some aliens in there too
Thanks for reading anyway!

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I seriously doubt that any goverment would actually release such information until it was too late and could no longer be quashed.
The goverments would use many different reasons anything from not wanting to cause world-wide panic, religous fanatism (remember that group in california a few years ago the one that suicided wearing nikes)
The goverments my try to destroy any asteroid threatening an impact, but I do not think that we actually have the tech neccessary to do anything that would make any difference.
Most likely scenario..... just like in the sci-fi movie a few years ago, the goverments would start to create shelters for the chosen few. and shaft the rest.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Not a dumb topic at all.
It was Reagan who made that speech.Check out this link, as it seems they are 'trying' to be prepared.

www.insaneabode.com...

new topics

join