It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How does my computer know

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2024 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: annonentity

Its not a proximity sensor and we have not all been chipped.

If you simply go into the power settings, as suggested, and set the OS so as not to enter power-saving mode.

It won't log off, and you won't have to worry, or log back in.

Get back to us and let us know how that goes.

posted on Apr, 16 2024 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

If you had bothered to read the thread, You would have found out that I have done that twice and the function is disabled.That what you get with free operating systems.

posted on Apr, 16 2024 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Oh you think that's odd, I just look at mine and it wakes up.

I think we're approaching THE OUTER LIMITS OF THE TWILIGHT ZONE.
edit on 16-4-2024 by Astrocometus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2024 @ 08:30 PM
link   

as i said sometimes on updates windows will change settings,i've had to reset several things after updates. they just had one not long ago. some where there is a setting your not changing, i have mine set to turn off display after two hours, never sleep, or hibernate, screen saver after 20 mins, with on resume display logon screen unchecked. never have to log in i even have it disabled when i fist turn it on. of course i'm the only one in the house that uses this one, i'll break somebodies fingers if they mess with my computer.

you might try the screen saver on resume display logon screen unchecked.

i'm prety sure one setting will over ride another.

edit on 16-4-2024 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2024 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: BernnieJGato

I will give it a go....... That worked thanks very much you get the top prize. But it still does not answer the question of how it knows I am not listening or looking at it.
edit on pm420244America/Chicago430453024 by annonentity because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2024 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I miss Windows XP... I had all my computers running that until apps literally wouldn't accept it. Years after it didn't even have updates available anymore I just threw away my computers because windows computers don't allow you to boot from Linux. And believe me, I'd tried for months.

I know someone will chime in with some BS, so before you do, it doesn't work, even if you killdisk you drives and attempt a clean slate install.

Anymore if I need any actual service from a computer, I just go to the library. Especially for printing. Anymore a desktop comp is fairly pointless unless you're programming, editing, designing, mixing music, or any other type of work-related task. A home computer is now your phone.

posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: sine.nomine

Ok I was listening to an audiobook , for about ten minutes as I like to listen for a while to see if they look like they are worth the effort, I got up for a coffee , and when i came back the screen had seized up and I had to switch it off and reboot.So something is going on.

posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Yeah well, Windows is not free depending on the version you have installed will indeed do things like that after a set period of time if you don't pay for a key.

The Windows OS will disable the likes of power options and custom screen savers settings after a while.

Your solutions are three-fold either purchase a key from the likes of CDkeys for about £10-£20.

Do a clean install, and you will be fine for another month or so until the trial period is up and the OS once again prompts you to actually purchase.

Or download and install a Windows activator which will alleviate the issue completely but your antivirus is apt to tell you is a rootkit.

If you have bothered to pay for the software you would not have the issue.

Ether way nothing to do with proximity sensors and you have not been chipped, so thats some light at the end of the paranoid tunnel for you if nothing else.
edit on 17-4-2024 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 03:45 AM
link   

The PCs OS may be wanting software or driver updates.

That won't be available until you purchase the software or circumvent the authentication procedure.

If its freezing/hanging and/or requiring a reboot.

Or you may have a virus/malware.

Have you tried running the likes of Malwarebytes or Superantispyware?

posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 04:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: annonentity
a reply to: sine.nomine

Ok I was listening to an audiobook , for about ten minutes as I like to listen for a while to see if they look like they are worth the effort, I got up for a coffee , and when i came back the screen had seized up and I had to switch it off and reboot.So something is going on.

I suppose what I'm getting at, is that if you have a home computer for nothing past stuff like listening to podcasts, perhaps a home computer is no longer necessary for you.

There was a time where nobody had them, and then there was a time where it was essential. I think we're at the place where a home PC is kinda specialized. I only use my computer for image editing and music recording.

I'm responding from my phone, lol.

Any time a computer senses input, it'll stay active. Any Bluetooth device active will keep your computer live. Any device that might sense movement at all connected to your computer will keep it live. You can put in a keyboard command to shut it down after use manually. It's usually something like (windows sign)+L. Not sure on Macs but it's probably similar.
edit on 17-4-2024 by sine.nomine because: Autocorrect is a demonic force

posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 10:09 AM
link   

I will give it a go....... That worked thanks very much you get the top prize. But it still does not answer the question of how it knows I am not listening or looking at it.

your welcome,

something is triggering the inactivity command, i don't listen to audio books so i can't tell you how they work but i do stream videos, and on some that don't require you to start the next video and i leave the room it continues until i stop them. others that require you to start the next video and might sit for for two hours, the screen saver comes up and i have to start the new one and it plays until i stop it or it quits and sits until screen save r comes up.

try increasing how ever long you have your screen saver set for. see if that changes anything. or you might try change time on display or set it to never, and do the same for sleep mode.

edit on 17-4-2024 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 05:19 PM
link   
T.V. service does the same,
at least mine does.
Often I leave the T.V. on, listening from an adjacent
room etc. After a while it goes silent only to have
a pop up screen asking " are you still there ? "
Like w.t h.

posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ToneD

T.V. service does the same, at least mine does.

we have a tivo unit from our cable company that will go to sleep if you don't change channels turn up the volume after 5 hours. they told us it would do that when in stalled.

our other tv's with regular boxes don't do that.

edit on 17-4-2024 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join