It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fantastic Four Casts its Silver Surfer...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

You don't seem to quite get the point I'm trying to make.

I fully understand what Marvel was and currently is.
I'm not disputing any of that.
And I certainly don't disagree with the statement you posted from Stan Lee.

I don't like 'woke'.
The whole entertainment industry is being drowned in 'woke' and some of us are sick of being preached to and the indoctrination nature of it.
Some people do like it.
Each to their own.

Its YOU telling ME that I was never a real fan.

In the grand scheme of things, not a big issue.
I still watch some of the Marvel releases, I just don't eagerly anticipate them anymore or enjoy them as much as I used to.

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Bob Iger got in some hot water recently for saying maybe it's time to back off and just make cool movies. Apparently (some of) the consumers aren't taking it well, they insist on a politically motivated cinematic experience that tells them magic is real and you're a superhero for being black and gay and also like to dress up in furry animal costumes.

edit on 4-4-2024 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: Bluntone22

The “MSheU” strikes again , will they never learn.

I love all of the excuses when these movies fail.
Apparently they will never learn.🤷

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

You do not like "woke". Yet Marvel is "woke", Always has been "woke".

How do you reconcile being a "real fan" of a Marvel that has always been "woke" then?

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 12:19 PM
link   

It is what it is.
I've always been a man of contradictions - don't like being stereotyped.

I don't think Marvel was 'woke' as in the current sense, progressive maybe.
But then again, Progressive sort of has a different definition nowadays especially across the pond.

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 12:32 PM
link   

So the question there is. How do we define "woke". Is any sort of social activism "woke"?

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

So I guess you're saying you good with the Panderverse? I expected more from Deadpool.

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I think Holly-collapse will come not too far out. Actors are already up in arms, having sensed that that AI generated films will not have no need of human actors.

Cheers

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Yeah, 'woke' was not a thing back in the late 60s and early 70s. People had plenty of political views, including some now considered 'woke'. Brutal truth is that because of better education, many people back then were far more intellectually awake and ethically engaged than the braying herds of today's social media.

Marvel as "progressive" ... to some extent. I recall many of the female characters in the "books" back then being very traditional. Soldiers were soldiers etc. What is called 'woke' today is FAR beyond anything depicted back then in the "books" or the traditional liberal-left ideas mentioned by Stan Lee.

Cheers
edit on 4-4-2024 by F2d5thCavv2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

Let's take a look.

Merriam Webster defines woke as the following.
www.merriam-webster.com...

aware of and actively attentive to important societal facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)

and

politically liberal or progressive (as in matters of racial and social justice) especially in a way that is considered unreasonable or extreme

Looking at the history of the term.

en.wikipedia.org...

While it is not known when being awake was first used as a metaphor for political engagement and activism, one early example in the United States was the paramilitary youth organization the Wide Awakes, which formed in Hartford, Connecticut, in 1860 to support the Republican candidate in the 1860 presidential election, Abraham Lincoln. Local chapters of the group spread rapidly across northern cities in the ensuing months and "triggered massive popular enthusiasm" around the election. The political militancy of the group also alarmed many southerners, who saw in the Wide Awakes confirmation of their fears of northern, Republican political aggression. The support among the Wide Awakes for abolition, as well as the participation of a number of black men in a Wide Awakes parade in Massachusetts, likely contributed to such anxiety.[10][11]

LOL. Republicans were the first to be woke? I can't believe it.

Now it seems that the term "woke" was first used in the 60's as we know it now. And possibly came from earlier usage in the 20's.

By the mid-20th century, woke had come to mean 'well-informed' or 'aware',[13] especially in a political or cultural sense.[8] The Oxford English Dictionary traces the earliest such usage to a 1962 New York Times Magazine article titled "If You're Woke You Dig It" by African-American novelist William Melvin Kelley, describing the appropriation of black slang by white beatniks.[8]

Woke had gained more political connotations by 1971 when the play Garvey Lives! by Barry Beckham included the line: "I been sleeping all my life. And now that Mr. Garvey done woke me up, I'm gon' stay woke. And I'm gon help him wake up other black folk."[14][15]

So yes. Woke was a term used back in the 60's. And the BLM movement is reusing the term.

edit on 3Thu, 04 Apr 2024 15:02:06 -0500America/Chicago24580 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Awake and woke are not the same word, so no it wasn't a term used in the 60s.

It was a time when sitting at a counter at Woolworths was civil disobedience. It was a time when people were sprayed with fire hoses and had dogs attack them at the hands of the police. It was a time where little girls were murdered in church bombings.

Being against that stuff and for human rights isn't woke it's just common sense.

Woke is people in 2024 pretending like its 1865. Woke is telling us men are women. Woke is telling you you're a bigot if you don't like how they neutered your favorite characters.

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: 5thHead

Did you miss the part about the 62 article?

"If You're Woke You Dig It" by African-American novelist William Melvin Kelley

Woke was in this recording from 38. At the end he says, "stay woke keep your eyes open".

posted on Apr, 6 2024 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Look. I don't know how old you are but in the 80s no one used the term "woke".

It's just not something anyone said In the 90s either.

posted on Apr, 7 2024 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: 5thHead

I'm in my 50's. Just because you never heard it used in the 80's. Does not preclude it's usage during that time or usage before that time. I've shown it's history in previous posts. You are wrong. I've shown you that you are wrong. Yet you still want to argue.

posted on Apr, 7 2024 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I will add my two cents:

In todays "woke culture" it seems that if you dislike something they are doing, the problem is with you. Hence, "you were never really a fan." Knowing how bad many of the "girl power" movies have been, it is not an encouraging sign that this movie will be any good.

Reed Richards is now an aging Latino who is 14 years older than his "wife." They were supposed to be college sweethearts, who also met Ben while attending Empire University together. Perhaps their background will still be that they met in college, except this time Reed was Sue's science professor, and it's also why he is no longer allowed to teach. Benn Grimm looks nothing like a college football player and is, likewise,12 years older than Sue. Lastly, Silver Surfer is a woman, and in the comic books Surfer has a thing for Sue; perhaps there will be a nod to the rainbow crowd here.

In the last FF movie with the Silvered one, Sue Storm was Asian/Latina (with blonde hair), Reed was too soft and dumb, and Ben was too short and old. The casting for these movies has historically been terrible.

I truly don't understand why they don't try to bring the actual comic book characters to life. It worked with Thor and Iron Man.

edit on 4/7/2024 by Dapaga because: i made joke

top topics

<< 1   >>

join