It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY Prison Inmates Sue To Watch Solar Eclipse - Say it's Their Religious Right

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 02:58 PM
link   
The prisons are going into lockdown during the eclipse since it will be dark out and inmates aren't allowed 'in the yard' when it's dark. This is a security and safety measure. However, a small group of inmates in New York are suing the prison saying it's their 'religious right' to be able to watch the eclipse.

A Baptist, a Muslim, a Seventh-Day Adventist ... none of them have worship of the stars/planets/moon as part of their religion so I don't think they have made their case. Two Santeria followers ... as far as I know Santeria doesn't involve looking at an eclipse or having 'high worship' during one. (I could be wrong but I didn't see it as part of their beliefs).

So the question ... should the prisons allow the inmates out in the dark 'yard' to watch the eclipse because they claim it's their religious right? Or should the prisons say no to them and follow their security and safety protocols keeping them locked up while this event happens?

I"m of the opinion that it doesn't matter what the (falsely) claim their religion is ... safety and security first. If they wanted to watch the eclipse, they shouldn't have broken the law and got thrown in jail.

NY Prison Inmates Sue To Watch Solar Eclipse - Say it's Their Religious Right

Inmates in New York are suing the state corrections department over the decision to lock down prisons during next Monday’s total solar eclipse.

The suit filed Friday in federal court in upstate New York argues that the April 8 lockdown violates inmates’ constitutional rights to practice their faiths by preventing them from taking part in a religiously significant event.

The plaintiffs are six men with varying religious backgrounds who are incarcerated at the Woodbourne Correctional Facility in Woodbourne. They include a Baptist, a Muslim, a Seventh-Day Adventist and two practitioners of Santeria, as well as an atheist.

“A solar eclipse is a rare, natural phenomenon with great religious significance to many,” the complaint reads, noting that Bible passages describe an eclipse-like phenomenon during Jesus’ crucifixion while sacred Islamic works describes a similar event when the Prophet Muhammad’s son died.

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I say keep them guarded and let them witness it. If Mother Nature is or part of your belief well then you should have a human right to witness this.

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Let them if its thier religion and they must.

But watching solar eclipse without protection.

Or staring at the Sun for prolonged periods.

Can and will lead to eye damage, so there is that.

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Let's assume some of these prisoners have been violent and victims of their violence are dead or severly affected to this day.
I really don't give a F about these priosoner's rights , other than keep them alive so they suffer in captivity.

I'm so sick to death hearing about 'prisoners rights''. I really have never heard the same amount of concern for their victims.
All you need to do is look at California and NY and see how they are soft on crime and criminals and what it does for crime rates.

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Pretty sure the word eclipse appears nowhere in the Bible. I dont know about other holy books. And I may be wrong. However it does describe happenings that could be construed as an eclipse. We dont know because really the bible is pretty vague on some things. I think if a few get to see it, they all should. All or nothing. Because if atheists are alleging it is important to their "religion" as well, that includes everyone from extremely religious to agnostic to atheist. So either include everyone or no one.

Personally, I think no one. But that's me.

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 06:42 PM
link   

So the question ... should the prisons allow the inmates out in the dark 'yard' to watch the eclipse because they claim it's their religious right? Or should the prisons say no to them and follow their security and safety protocols keeping them locked up while this event happens?

First of all, it's anyone's religious right, who claims it as such.

Solar eclipses are extraordinary rare natural events, that for a brief moment, reveal knowledge about the workings of our universe.

This is a sacred event for those who belong to the church of the truth, and or for anyone with a strong reverence and connection to nature.

Second of all, it's not going to get that dark. I watched the last one, and I'm sure that prisoners have been let out on cloudy days that were darker than it's going to get for a few minutes during the eclipse.

Finally, not only is watching an eclipse a unique and profound experience, allowing prisoners to partake in it, shows a kind gesture on behalf of the prison and fosters respect between the staff and the inmates.

On the other hand, I'm guessing that prisons don't just let all their inmates out at once, so I can't see that happening.

Prisons could let some prisoners out for it though. Maybe some them who have been good, and or some of those who make the request.

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 06:46 PM
link   

I imagine even if it's a cloudy day, everything outside will become like it is at night. Hopefully the Warden won't spoil things by turning on the outside lights for those few minutes...or will disable the auto lights-on system.

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: WeMustCare

It's like a dust or dawn darkness.

posted on Apr, 3 2024 @ 06:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: CataclysmicRockets
If Mother Nature is or part of your belief well then you should have a human right to witness this.

None of their religions have eclipse/solar/lunar worship as a part of it.
A Baptist, a Muslim, a Seventh-Day Adventist, 2 Santaria.

Don't you give up your rights when you commit crimes and are incarcerated?
Your freedoms are taken away ... actually, you threw them away, when you committed the crimes.

Safety first. They can't be 'in the yard' in a blackout.
That's how people get shanked in prison.

join