It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newsmax Took $50 Million From Qatari Royal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2024 @ 02:58 PM
link   
This was interesting. Newsmax took $50 million from a Qatari Royal and changed it's reporting to make Qatar look better. Qatar .. the place where Hamas leadership is hiding in plain site and being pampered. Qatar ... which runs the pro-Muslim-biased state propaganda outlet known as Al Jazeera.

Looks like we can scratch Newsmax off the list of sites to go to for accurate information.

Newsmax allegedly softened its coverage of the Middle East kingdom of Qatar while pursuing a $50 million investment from a member of the country’s royal family. Current and former employees told The Washington Post that before and after the investment, newsroom staff were told by Newsmax executives — including founder and CEO Christopher Ruddy — to tone down criticism of the Muslim country by Newsmax executives. Newsmax has officially denied these claims, though The National Pulse has independently verified the orders from Ruddy to Newsmax staff.

... leaked financial documents suggest Al Thani’s interests went beyond a simple desire to profit. At the time, Qatar was locked in a simmering regional conflict with Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates. The latter two Middle East states had used a robust lobbying and public relations campaign in Washington, D.C., to isolate Qatar politically and diplomatically — with many on Capitol Hill regarding the country as a lead sponsor of Islamic terrorism.

One of the financial documents addressing the corporate structure of Al Thani’s minority stake in Newsmax described the entity’s purpose as being “set up with the intention of benefiting the State of Qatar.” Additionally, the documents indicate Sheikh Mohammed bin Hamad Al Thani — the younger brother of Qatar’s ruler — would serve as the “option beneficiary,” meaning he could take over the shares under certain circumstances.

posted on Mar, 27 2024 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

Looks like we can scratch Newsmax off the list of sites to go to for accurate information.

Accurate information shortcut, ignore the lot of them if they talking politics, cos they ALL lie from politicians to presenters, not one utterance or ounce of truth no matter the channel or party

Concentrate on your own family , friends and neighbours and life is so much better

posted on Mar, 27 2024 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

the trump family has solid ties to the Saudi Royal Family. Truth Social...next? It's just business as usual!

www.timesofisrael.com...

www.businessinsider.com...

edit on 27-3-2024 by lilzazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2024 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
This was interesting. Newsmax took $50 million from a Qatari Royal and changed it's reporting to make Qatar look better. Qatar .. the place where Hamas leadership is hiding in plain site and being pampered. Qatar ... which runs the pro-Muslim-biased state propaganda outlet known as Al Jazeera.

Newsmax allegedly softened its coverage of the Middle East kingdom of Qatar while pursuing a $50 million investment from a member of the country’s royal family. Current and former employees told The Washington Post that before and after the investment, newsroom staff were told by Newsmax executives — including founder and CEO Christopher Ruddy — to tone down criticism of the Muslim country by Newsmax executives. Newsmax has officially denied these claims, though The National Pulse has independently verified the orders from Ruddy to Newsmax staff.

... leaked financial documents suggest Al Thani’s interests went beyond a simple desire to profit. At the time, Qatar was locked in a simmering regional conflict with Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates. The latter two Middle East states had used a robust lobbying and public relations campaign in Washington, D.C., to isolate Qatar politically and diplomatically — with many on Capitol Hill regarding the country as a lead sponsor of Islamic terrorism.

One of the financial documents addressing the corporate structure of Al Thani’s minority stake in Newsmax described the entity’s purpose as being “set up with the intention of benefiting the State of Qatar.” Additionally, the documents indicate Sheikh Mohammed bin Hamad Al Thani — the younger brother of Qatar’s ruler — would serve as the “option beneficiary,” meaning he could take over the shares under certain circumstances.

I don't disagree.

On the other hand for a long while about 10 years ago, if you wanted straight up news without the BS, The Al Jazeera TV network was FAR better at providing it than our cable and MSM news sources. Their facts to fluff/spin ratio beat the bejeesus out of our news shows.

I've haven't seen it in years, but at the time it was worth the cost of the Dish.

edit on 3/27/2024 by SchrodingersRat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2024 @ 10:46 PM
link   

The moral of this story is that if you rely on anyone for the truth other than your own research and critical thinking...you're f#*&ing up! The only way to get an idea of whats real in the world these days...read multiple of both sides to a story then use the seldom possessed these days skill of critical thinking and your might arrive somewhere close. Its getting harder and harder though...makes me wonder, if DARPA is usually 50ish years ahead of public advances...how long has AI been running things

posted on Mar, 27 2024 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Newsmax already was a fairly biased right wing site. For me personally neither the fact that they had such a clear bias nor taking money from anyone would do much. My approach has always been if something is clearly biased then it shouldn't be used as a single source but it shouldn't just be discounted immediately either.

posted on Mar, 28 2024 @ 09:03 AM
link   

edit on 3/28/2024 by yeahright because: Mod edit for Spam

posted on Mar, 29 2024 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

Newsmax already was a fairly biased right wing site. For me personally neither the fact that they had such a clear bias nor taking money from anyone would do much. My approach has always been if something is clearly biased then it shouldn't be used as a single source but it shouldn't just be discounted immediately either.

which news sources are non biased?

posted on Mar, 29 2024 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Ever since cable and the beginnings of CNN, news has gradually morphed into entertainment and propaganda for hire. NPR was one of the last news stations I listened to until it went full woke.

Now, I get my news from small independent podcasts and YT channels that I trust. Anything important usually winds up on ATS but of course, you need to weed out bias and disinfo.

I also listen to what Tucker and Elon have to say on occasion, but filter out what I do not understand. Joe Rogan has my ear a lot, and my favorite mathematician/scientist is Eric Weinstein, who's uncanny insight probably makes him the worlds best subject matter expert.

For weather, I look out the window. (Well, "Windy" comes in handy.)

All of this gives me content for what I need to know, and it's all free.

edit on 29-3-2024 by charlyv because: sp

edit on 29-3-2024 by charlyv because: sp

new topics

top topics

join