It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uncommon edible urban animals and insects .

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2024 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Locusts. Winston Churchill (first chapter of the River War) says "when fried, tasting like shrimp". That must be why they are permitted in Leviticus.

posted on Mar, 21 2024 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
Dandelion leaves. They grow in everyones yards and in fields.
Eat like lettuce or boil like spinach. FREE.

I've tried them both ways; I'm going to starve!
I DO have a recipe for dande;ion wine I'd like to try, though.

I love wild asparagus but sadly haven't dound any where I currently live. We do have lots of old farmsteads spread throught the land, and they have old, neglected fruit trees. I've done a lot of canning from the proceeds of those haunts.

Plantain grows everywhere here. It's a great antiocidant, wonderful as a poltice, great as a tea for whatever ails you and so much more. It works like a charm on hives! Plus, it's free.

I'm not a fan of fowl, except prarie chicken. I can eat any wild bird, but factory chicken or turkey tastes 'off' to me, as does any comercially produced meat.

As long as people are too lazy to forage or too good to work with imperfect fruit I'll just keep adding to my pantry.

posted on Mar, 21 2024 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI2
Locusts. Winston Churchill (first chapter of the River War) says "when fried, tasting like shrimp". That must be why they are permitted in Leviticus.

Well, they sure are plump anyway. If they’re the same as cicadas.

Plus the estimate of their universe is something in the billions or trillions when they show up.

It’s funny, that locusts are what starved millions…. Yet eating them may have allayed much of the hunger.

And no, I’m not part of the assh*le elites who tell the plebes to eat bugs while they dine on shrimp, lamb, beef, salmon, caviar.

Just a scientific, logistic thought.

Of course the elite will be narcissistic lying sh*theads.

It’s a given.

posted on Mar, 21 2024 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Your mirror the training from my youth: Not to say we would NEVER eat any carnivores, but they were considered a last-ditch food, even below that of sucker fish and carp. Many rodents are tasty. They are a pain in the ass to skin, but doable, especially after getting into a repetive "zone".

To the OP, I would add that MANY reptiles and amphibians are quite tasty and safe to eat: Many lizards, I've eaten snake (like eating corn off the cob), frogs, etc. Florida is overrun with green iguanas; so much so that they will probably never get them under control until the great austerity. Iguana tastes much like rabbit to me, and similar cooking methods work well. Iguanas are much more difficult to skin, not having a fat layer between the skin and meat.

posted on Mar, 21 2024 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Probably not legal to grow in much of the U.S. because of its invasive nature, but we grow Water Spinach in two box containers. Talk about easy. They continually grow and just require a little water. You have to make DAMN SURE they don't get to any waterway or creek or lake or anything, because they will run and not be controllable. If you provide for a controlled area, they are a consistently prolific producer. They're not related to Spinach, but part of the morning glory family. Can be eaten raw or cooked. Great in stir-fry.

posted on Mar, 21 2024 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: arcticshuffle

nd she could make anything taste good.

mine could to, squirrel, rabbit, cat, dog, rat, she could cook. her secret was the can of lard she kept on the stove,

posted on Mar, 21 2024 @ 10:01 PM
link   
So, is poaching poachers who are hunting on your land if TSHTF the proper way to cook them? I usually eat vegetarian animals or animals that eat bugs..

posted on Mar, 21 2024 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: argentus
a reply to: DAVID64

Your mirror the training from my youth: Not to say we would NEVER eat any carnivores, but they were considered a last-ditch food, even below that of sucker fish and carp. Many rodents are tasty. They are a pain in the ass to skin, but doable, especially after getting into a repetive "zone".

To the OP, I would add that MANY reptiles and amphibians are quite tasty and safe to eat: Many lizards, I've eaten snake (like eating corn off the cob), frogs, etc. Florida is overrun with green iguanas; so much so that they will probably never get them under control until the great austerity. Iguana tastes much like rabbit to me, and similar cooking methods work well. Iguanas are much more difficult to skin, not having a fat layer between the skin and meat.

Smoked suckers are really good. Now I have eaten a few foxes when I was young, but that is a whole different subject.

posted on Mar, 22 2024 @ 07:23 AM
link   
In a real SHTF scenario the most abundant protein source in urban areas will be humans...

So much for uncommon

edit on 22-3-2024 by Terpene because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2024 @ 09:29 AM
link   

edit on 3/22/2024 by yeahright because: Mod edit for Spam

posted on Mar, 22 2024 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Is this one of the posters here ?? >
A Wasco, CA man takes a human leg
from a fatal train accident scene and starts eating it.
hungry americans

sjvsun.com...

You guys sound desperate.
americans . . . are truly one of a kind Lol

posted on Mar, 23 2024 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Emu are one of the best meats to farm in regards to warter use, and the meat is good, yes its a bird but the meaat is so dark its kinda burgundy colour. Its great, but not really "urban" for most folk not in rural Australia.

Its the perfect thing to farm in areas affected by drout because how little water is needed to farm them.

s for the eggs, if you blow them, you can carver into them with an engraver and sell it as fake aussie touristy shtuff... you dont want to boil them whole.

EDIT.

Swan

Not here, you cant legally kill Cygnus Australis, the black swan, not only is it a protected species, a sacred bird fore first peoples, it also tastes like mud and rotten fish.
edit on 23-3-2024 by BeTheGoddess2 because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-3-2024 by BeTheGoddess2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2024 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Maple trees are everywhere where I live
a reply to: cooperton

In late winter , February, when daytime temps get above freezing and night are freezing the sap will begin to flow

If drill a hole and hang bucket to catch sap

Boil down sap yields Maple syrup or sugar Takes 30-35 gallons of sap to yield 1 gallon of syrup

When growing up neighbors would go out into the woods and tap the trees for maple syrup

posted on Mar, 31 2024 @ 05:00 PM
link   

I love wild asparagus
a reply to: nugget1
CATTAILS - grow in wet or swampy places Just make sure water is not contaminated with sewage or nasty things

The white central core, after one peels the outer leaves off can be eaten raw like cucumber or cooked like asparagus

In summer the green seed head can be boiled and eaten like a ear of corn

The yellow pollen can be extracted from the seed head (put a bag over it and beat the seed head to shake loose the pollen) it can be mixed with floor and made into bread or pancakes

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join