It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who are the Russians?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Hello ATS!

Having been on our forum for many years and reading the threads and comments of some users, I am sometimes simply amazed at the ignorance that reigns in the heads of many. Of course, I attribute some of this ignorance to the total propaganda of Russophobia, which pours in a continuous stream into the fragile minds of Western people. Especially those who have not been taught to think critically.

Stereotypes about Russians always include vodka, balalaikas, bears and home nuclear reactors. I can’t imagine what confusion is going on in the heads of those who are ardent Russophobes, but who know practically NOTHING about Russia and Russians.

I will not write much, I will give only one small example from history, which happened at the beginning of the 19th century, when Russophobia in Europe was by no means less than what it is now.

So. In 1939, the famous Marquis Astolphe de Custine was hiding in Russia from the French Revolution. He was a famous Russophobe, writer, hater of Russia and the Russian autocracy, wrote and published books against Russia.
But for some reason he hid from the revolution in it and was even close to the court of Emperor Nicholas 1, whom he criticized, where everyone spoke French. And so, at one court ball, he approached the Emperor and got into conversation with him.
Nicholas 1 asked the marquis:

— Marquis, do you think there are many Russians in this room?
- Everyone except me and the foreign ambassadors, Your Majesty!
- You are wrong. This one of mine is a Pole, this one is German. There are two generals standing there - they are Georgians. This courtier is a Tatar, this is a Finn, and there is a baptized Jew.
- Then where are the Russians? asked Custine.
- But all together they are Russians.

And further. In 2015, a volunteer defender in Donbass told me another story. His comrade in arms, sitting with him in the same trench, was a Kazakh. Asked him:

- Here you are, a Kazakh. What are you doing in a trench next to the Russians?
- I defend my homeland
- But your homeland is Kazakhstan.
- Here, in Donbass, I am Russian. But when the West attacks Kazakhstan, the Russians sitting next to me in the trench will be Kazakhs.

There are more than 200 different nationalities in Russia. They are all united by the Russian idea, the Russian Empire, and Russian civilization. This idea is the equality of all peoples, respect for the customs and religions of all peoples, taking into account the national interests of all peoples. EVERYONE! In Russia, in the words of Josep Borel, there is no “Garden of Eden in which the West lives, and no barbaric jungle surrounding this garden.”

All this makes the Russian idea and civilization attractive to many peoples of the world. And as we know, an idea cannot be killed.

Thank you.

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: RussianTroll

As the All Father told Thor in one of those Marvel films, Asgard is not a place, it is a community. You are correct in that assessment. You're also very correct about Americans being bogged down in stereotypes and propaganda. I'm not so sure about Russian civics and Russian economics being attractive to audiences around the world.

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Here, in Donbass, I am Russian. But when the West attacks Kazakhstan, the Russians sitting next to me in the trench will be Kazakhs.

Using that logic, those living in Ukraine are all Ukrainian and should support separation from Russia.
Or, any foreign soldiers fighting in Ukraine, to defend Ukraine, will be Ukrainian.

This idea is the equality of all peoples, respect for the customs and religions of all peoples

Doesn't Russia have pretty suppressive laws concerning homosexuality?

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Hakaiju

Europeans and Americans are not Ukrainians. Ukrainians are ethnic Russians. So you can’t understand either Russians or Ukrainians.

Homosexuality was recently classified as a mental illness by the World Health Organization. Are they a people, or do they profess some kind of religion? But they forcibly mutilate children.
edit on 11-3-2024 by RussianTroll because: correct

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 08:54 AM
link   

This idea is the equality of all peoples,

Really?

I see yet another fairy tale piece by RT has arrived.

There are more than 200 different nationalities in Russia. They are all united by the Russian idea, the Russian Empire, and Russian civilization

Are they all united in a one Russian??

In the late 19th century, especially after nationalistic uprisings occurred in Poland, the government expressed xenophobia in its hostility towards ethnic minorities which did not speak Russian. The government decided to reduce the use of other languages, and it insisted that minorities which did not speak Russian should be Russified.

By the beginning of the 20th century, most European Jews lived in the so-called Pale of Settlement, the Western frontier of the Russian Empire which generally consisted of the modern-day countries of Poland, Lithuania, Belarus and neighboring regions. Many pogroms accompanied the Revolution of 1917 and the ensuing civil war, an estimated 70,000 to 250,000 Jewish civilians were killed in atrocities which were committed throughout the former Russian Empire; the number of Jewish orphans exceeded 300,000.

Recently, some western academics held a Zoom call to discuss the Ukraine war with representatives from minority groups in the Russian Federation, including the Tuvan, Buryat, Sakha, Kalmyk, Yakut and Chechen peoples.

You may be baffled by some of these names. After all, the only group that appears semi-regularly in western headlines are the Chechens, due to their own war; the others are usually ignored as they live in poor, remote places like Siberia (Tuvan and Buryat), Arctic Circle (Sakha) or Volga (Kalmyk). 

But having immersed myself in Kalmyk, Sakha and Buryat studies when I was an anthropologist, I think what is happening with these groups deserves more attention. Most notably, the Ukraine war has left some minority peoples angry. As one participant on the call explained, views of Russia are “more radical compared to the old conformities and silences. They are talking about colonialism and imperialism, ethnic and racial discrimination.” 

That’s partly because the Russian army is disproportionately using minority soldiers in Ukraine. And there are widespread media reports that these minorities are suffering per-capita casualty rates far higher than Slavic soldiers. On top of that, the Buryats are sometimes being blamed for the atrocities in Ukraine. Media reports suggest that in some cases this might be justified. Russian channels on the Telegram messaging app state that the Russian army’s 64th Motorised Rifle Brigade was based in the Ukrainian town of Bucha in March when atrocities happened there. This brigade hails from the Buryatia region of Siberia.

How about anyone from the LGB community?

Russia has long held strongly negative views regarding homosexuality, with recent polls indicating that a majority of Russians are against the acceptance of homosexuality and have shown support for laws discriminating against homosexuals. Despite receiving international criticism for the recent increase in social discrimination, crimes, and violence against homosexuals

More lies as usual RT.

edit on 11-3-2024 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: RussianTroll

Europeans and Americans are not Ukrainians. Ukrainians are ethnic Russians. So you can’t understand either Russians or Ukrainians.

Homosexuality was recently classified as a mental illness by the World Health Organization. Are they a people, or do they profess some kind of religion? But they forcibly mutilate children.

Wrong.

On 17 May, International Day against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia commemorates the day in 1990 when the World Health Assembly stopped classifying homosexuality as a mental disorder.

www.who.int...

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I forgot to write.
I will not respond to Russophobic comments from people with their heads full of propaganda.
Calm, respectful dialogue is encouraged.

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Ukrainians are ethnic Russians..

Ukraine is a separate country from Russia.
It is a sovereign nation of it's own.
The Russia/Ukraine war is not an internal civil war.

There are a lot of people of Irish descent living in America.
That doesn't give America the right to invade and destroy Ireland
just because the ancestry is shared.

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Surely you are aware that "russophobia" as you call it, is driven by governments and media in the west. Just as prejudice of any other country and peoples is driven the same way.

The American ideal was and is a great ideal. Our personal freedoms and self governance through representatives who are democratically elected, but function together under a constitution as a republic is, in my opinion, one of the greatest forms of government ever, but unless one is familiar with our history and how these ideals came to be enshrined, it will be lost on anyone outside of this country, and unfortunately, many within it as well in the 21st century.

I do not have "russophobia". I am aware that my country's media changes its bias toward other countries according to political climate and "correctness" of the day. This is why I can converse with you as an an individual instead of a Russian. I don't blame you for what your government does or doesn't do.

I tend to be much more aware and critical of my own country's foibles than any other, but I am not ignorant of the politics of the world.

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 09:08 AM
link   

I forgot to write.
I will not respond to Russophobic comments from people with their heads full of propaganda.
Calm, respectful dialogue is encouraged.

Then tell us why we should respond to people who will only ever push an agenda HERE?

Anyone makes any crtisim of your beloved Mad Vlad or his 'version' of Russian and you throw a hissy fit. You seem fine about coming on to ATS posting threads critizing other peoples countries and way of life compared to your 'great' Russia, yet can't take the same in return?
You've been shown to twist and alter history or news stories to fit your narrative many times, and that was all I was showing in my post above.

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Not a single peice of evidence as usual to back up any of your claims, and the ones forcibly mutilating children are Russian soliders in Ukraine.

Plain and simple, you're a proven liar and a bigot.

W.H.O. website...

LGBTIQ+ health refers to the physical, mental, and emotional well-being of people who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex or queer (LGBTIQ+). The plus sign represents the vast diversity of people in terms of sexual orientation, gender identity, expression and sex characteristics (SOGIESC). The LGBTIQ+ acronym is dynamic and can vary depending on the region or country, highlighting the multitude of LGBTIQ+ communities across cultures.

WHO's support to countries is founded on the fundamental human rights principle that all persons should have access to health services without discrimination. The adoption of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and its pledge to “leave no one behind”, based on the normative framework of international human rights law, has reinforced the need to understand and improve the health and well-being of LGBTIQ+ people. WHO develops guidelines, provides technical support and conducts research to help countries develop and strengthen inclusive health systems and policies for the health and well-being of all people, regardless of SOGIESC.

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 09:14 AM
link   

So you are saying that Ukraine is not part of Europe?

But they forcibly mutilate children.

Gay people don't mutilate children. Sick people do.

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Throughout history, Europe has invaded Russia. Always after this, the Russians captured European capitals. It has always been so, and it will be so now. Apparently the experience of Napoleon and Hitler taught you nothing.

And about who is who. Let's talk about Israel and Jews?))))

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Tell that to Elon Musk.
Are you saying America is run by sick people?

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Thank you for that, and the sacrifices you all have made because my country thought it would be a good idea to install a puppet government on your border then arm them to the teeth. As an American I'm sorry we can do so much better...

I for one have always respected Russians, I admire your culture and your people. I admire what Russia is today considering the most powerful hegemonic forces the planet has ever seen is hell bent on trying to destroy your country and probably carve up it's resources. Hard times have created a strong united people in Russia. My country on the other hand our decadence is destroying us...

I just wish the western world would treat your country as partner rather than a perpetual enemy. We're constantly told to fear Russia and China, yet your governments haven't actually done anything that my government isn't already doing 20 fold to you. It's absurd to be honest.

I'm glad you are back safe, and assuredly a more tempered version of yourself as well. Hopefully one day our governments(mainly mine) can put down the guns and pick up the pens.

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 09:17 AM
link   
“I will not write much, I will give only one small example from history, which happened at the beginning of the 19th century, when Russ..”

I instantly had a flashback to the Putin interview with Tucker Carlson. Hey, wait a minute, is that you Vladimir???

Your history lessons are the true Russian sleep experiment.

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

It's nice to listen to a sensible person. But we do not impose our values on you, but respect your choice. This is the attractiveness of the Russian model.

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Texastruth2

He who does not know his past has no future.

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 09:21 AM
link   

a reply to: FlyersFan

Apparently the experience of Napoleon and Hitler taught you nothing.

And about who is who. Let's talk about Israel and Jews?))))

And the experience of Lenin and Stalin taught Russia and you nothing too?

news.un.org...

Their investigations also confirmed previous findings that Russian authorities used torture in a widespread and systematic way in various types of detention facilities.

New evidence collected in the Kherson and Zaporizhzhia regions found Russian authorities used the same pattern of torture in areas under their control, mainly against men suspected of passing information to the Ukrainian authorities or supporting the Ukrainian armed forces.

The commissioners said their interviews with victims and witnesses revealed “a profound disregard towards human dignity by Russian authorities”. Witnesses reported situations in which torture had been committed so brutally that the victim died.

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Your reply has nothing to do with what I posted.
Here it is again ....

Ukraine is a separate country from Russia.
It is a sovereign nation of it's own.
The Russia/Ukraine war is not an internal civil war.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join