It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An end to daylight savings time? Please!!!!!!!!!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2024 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

It would depend on where you are located in the north as it can be a very long winter , I worked night shift for 15 months long ago and I rarely saw daylight in that time

The summers are the opposite it just gets dull for a hour and it is hard to tell if it is day or night more than a few times i have nodded off and woken up thinking it was morning and I was late for work .

If it ain't broke and all that ? The DST works this far north IMHO

posted on Mar, 9 2024 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: stonerwilliam

I did third shift for about 12 years. I adjusted my sleep schedule to whatever was going on that day. Nap in the morning after a beer, then get up when the kids come home from school, and take a nap before I had to get up to go to work. It was alright once you get your rhythm. But being fat and white, I really have no rhythm.

posted on Mar, 9 2024 @ 03:57 PM
link   

It is known to play havoc with your health being a shift worker and when I started the clock in my head totally got messed up , I never needed a alarm clock until I started doing the 3 shift pattern 2 weeks morning ,2 weeks afternoon ,2 weeks nights other places were solid day/nights yet for some weird reason I can sleep like a baby during the day and I struggle to sleep at nights still .

I still shudder at that 15 month spell I did on nights 12 hour shifts I can count on my fingers how many hours of daylight I saw in that spell , even in daytime we need the lights on inside some days

posted on Mar, 9 2024 @ 04:12 PM
link   

staying constant was fine. But if you asked me to switch in the middle, I'd have come unglued.
I was 3rd shift in the military and went to Germany for a 3 month deployment and got put on 4am to 4pm shift. I probably could explain the ways it sucked but it's safe to say, it would be a very long post.

Only bonus was the NCO club was having happy hour about the time we got their and we got our food on there. Free appetizers. Not too healthy filling up on meatballs, or Smokey's, but we got by. I was young and made up for my lack of nutrition with beer.

posted on Mar, 9 2024 @ 04:19 PM
link   
took me years to get used to day shift after all that time on 2nd or third shift in the military.

I am pretty good about listening to the clock in my head when its time for sleep at least during the work week.

once we got the black out curtains up doesnt even bother me having so much sunlight late in the evening anymroe.

posted on Mar, 9 2024 @ 04:38 PM
link   

I loved the look of disgust I used to get eating mince and potatoes at 7.30 am when to me it is 7.30 pm ,few people who did shift work got that one

posted on Mar, 9 2024 @ 04:52 PM
link   

always enjoyed the Churchy neighbors eyeballing me Sunday morning on the front porch with a cold beer. I had just gotten off work, and did that a lot. One beer and nappytime.

posted on Mar, 9 2024 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

always enjoyed the Churchy neighbors eyeballing me Sunday morning on the front porch with a cold beer. I had just gotten off work, and did that a lot. One beer and nappytime.

With you on that one working on the sabbath lol had my bags packed for me when I was 17 by my grandparents for working on the sabbat and a county I used to stay in was behind the times somewhat I had to work a Sunday one time as it was the only time the job could be done wow the whole area came out to see and was not best pleased at me for doing so .

Got thrown of the island of skye for going out to work on a Sunday and my GF was from there I made the mistake of buying a Sunday newspaper back in the 80s from a van that turned up in the square and leaving it under a seat
don't bring him back just for that yip some people are really fickle
edit on 9/3/2024 by stonerwilliam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2024 @ 05:13 PM
link   
If you think DST is crazy, then check out St. Johns in Newfoundland. They have areas that change on the HALF HOUR. it is nuts.

I was in charge of the NTP Daemon for MultiNet (Process Software) years ago. If hardware real time clocks, cesium clocks and stratum hierarchy was not enough to handle, the ever changing DST tables were a nightmare to keep current when distributing software updates.
edit on 9-3-2024 by charlyv because: content

posted on Mar, 9 2024 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I bet a few pets would jump at this as my former dog would be waiting to get his 6 pm feeding when the clocks changed and a few people told me their pets were exactly the same as mine and confused with the clocks changing

posted on Mar, 9 2024 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: stonerwilliam
I bet a few pets would jump at this as my former dog would be waiting to get his 6 pm feeding when the clocks changed and a few people told me their pets were exactly the same as mine and confused with the clocks changing

Totally OT but I have to say I love your avatar pic!

Stan Laurel for President!

posted on Mar, 9 2024 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: SchrodingersRat

Loved Laurel and Hardy as a kid

I had that move down to a tee as a kid and used to do it often to the amusement of the adults

posted on Mar, 9 2024 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Ok, a clarification for sciences sake.

I have to keep up with this at work because my monitors don't "Spring forward" nor go back to time it is not doable collecting data. Standard time is what is keeping the sun away from us when we get home.

We "fall back" to Daylight Standard time instead of the other way around.a reply to: network dude

posted on Mar, 10 2024 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I hate when we push the clocks ahead an hour.
I just went grocery shopping .. in the dark.
Getting the day started ... in the dark.
Morning is supposed to be sunny so you wake up and get things done.
It's not supposed to be dark so you think about going back to bed.

posted on Mar, 10 2024 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

I got up at 6:30, but it was actually 7:30 and the sun was almost up. It worked out for me.

posted on Mar, 10 2024 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

I got up at 6:30, but it was actually 7:30 and the sun was almost up. It worked out for me.

I get up at 4:30 am every morning. Have breakfast. Read the New York Post. Read ATS headlines. Walk the dog at 5:30. That takes half an hour. Then at 6:00 I go for my two mile walk for exercise. That takes me to 7:00. Today I went grocery shopping in the morning. Everything was in the dark.

Doing it all in the dark makes me want to go back to bed. But if the sun is up, it wakes me up more and I 'get going' better.

posted on Mar, 10 2024 @ 09:29 AM
link   

I get up at 4:30 am every morning. Have breakfast. Read the New York Post. Read ATS headlines. Walk the dog at 5:30. That takes half an hour. Then at 6:00 I go for my two mile walk for exercise.

Are you a NY'er, FF?

I am. I live about an hour north of NYC on the Hudson river after moving here from Brooklyn, NY.

And I'm actually reading the New York Post online right now. That paper can be hilarious at times. Especially if I read it right after reading the New York Times online.

Duck Season.

Wabbit season.

lol!

edit on 3/10/2024 by SchrodingersRat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2024 @ 12:03 PM
link   

I vote we slow the Earth's spin down so it takes 30 hours to spin around.
We'd all get 3 more hours of daylight and 3 more hours of sleep.

posted on Mar, 10 2024 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: SchrodingersRat
Are you a NY'er, FF?

No. Originally from Connecticut. Now I live in Delaware.

I live about an hour north of NYC on the Hudson river

Around Sleepy Hollow? I've been there. Fun at Halloween.

posted on Mar, 10 2024 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

Jesus hard pass...

fricking network I work on is a big enough POS, and the people in charge of patching and upkeep dont know how to trouble shoot.

What you describe would have the servers on fire.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join