It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why to avoid TikTok

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2024 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Most of us have heard of tiktok, some will even use it or have it installed, as someone who does not use it I cant vouch for how full of fake videos it is, but I did hear/see Joe Rogan bring up this interesting point

Joe Rogan explains why TikTok in China is ‘better’

“China’s version of TikTok celebrates academic achievements and athletic achievements. It’s all science projects. All these different fascinating things.”

“What are we doing on TikTok?” he scoffed. “Kids are f**king dancing. They’re screaming about veganism and how blue their hair is. It’s wild.”

Then the main reason I wanted to add this thread was because of this video which popped up in my youtube feed

AI-generated conspiracy theories have taken over TikTok, racking up millions of views with ridiculous claims of government coverups and impending doom. But they're not coming out of nowhere -- they're a response to TikTok's new Creativity Program Beta, which pays content creators for videos that generate a lot of cheap views. And without stronger content moderation rules, it's going to get a lot worse.

So be aware not everyting you see no matter how much you want to believe (thanks Mulder) is real let alone true, click bait is such an easy way to make money these days and if your using AI to make it, 100s or 1000s or even millions of videos can be churned out for the gullible to watch and earn someone an income, most of us skeptics on ATS stick with a few mottos and one has always been 'follow the money'

Now wheres my Play-Doh

edit on 8-3-2024 by UpIsNowDown2 because: typo probably more still

edit on 8-3-2024 by UpIsNowDown2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2024 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: UpIsNowDown2

I watch videos on there but you can tell what's fake and what isn't for the most part. Your feed depends on what you watch and there's some sort of algorithm where if you watch a video for 15 seconds or more, you get similar things. Mine shows a lot of offroad climbing, cop chases, Biden bobbles, and pets.

posted on Mar, 8 2024 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

and similar to my youtube feed, why files, conspiracys, gaming etc

but then again we have taste

to those teenagers wgo do the latest crazes, another story from this week in the UK about a tiktok challenge of chroming or to us older farts, inhaling gas

Boy, 11, dies after TikTok 'chroming' challenge goes wrong

An 11-year-old boy died after taking part in an alleged social media craze gone wrong, according to his family. Tommie-Lee Gracie Billington suffered a suspected cardiac arrest on Saturday after taking part in a dangerous craze called 'chroming'.

So if the same logic that applies to our feeds applies to these kids, then they gonna keep getting videos of the same nonsense

posted on Mar, 8 2024 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: UpIsNowDown2

and similar to my youtube feed, why files, conspiracys, gaming etc

but then again we have taste

to those teenagers wgo do the latest crazes, another story from this week in the UK about a tiktok challenge of chroming or to us older farts, inhaling gas

Boy, 11, dies after TikTok 'chroming' challenge goes wrong

An 11-year-old boy died after taking part in an alleged social media craze gone wrong, according to his family. Tommie-Lee Gracie Billington suffered a suspected cardiac arrest on Saturday after taking part in a dangerous craze called 'chroming'.

So if the same logic that applies to our feeds applies to these kids, then they gonna keep getting videos of the same nonsense

Yeah I don't get it. Social media in general isn't geared for children under at least 15. That's what non online video games, sports, and bicycles are for.

posted on Mar, 8 2024 @ 01:46 PM
link   

remember the days of just going out, fishing or bike riding, without a care in the world

Im sure kids still have fun as they see it, but to us it looks like hell, lol

posted on Mar, 8 2024 @ 02:32 PM
link   

The problem isn't technological, data mining and spyware or some obvious crap like that, it's cultural. Attention spans are shorter, hero worship is higher, inability to distinguish fact from fiction is off the charts, whether it's biology or AI, and the constant deluge of digital or electric stimulus is objectively toxic to society. Ironically I like watching videos of farmers and ranchers telling anecdotes about work ethic and family values and abstaining from screen technology like you would hard drugs. Email good, social media bad. In keeping with the drugs metaphor, perhaps it's time to impose age limits by law. Maybe letting the kids vote before 21 or 25 is a conditionally protected civil requisite, but tiktok isn't.

edit on 8-3-2024 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2024 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Facebook is flooded with mud and flat earth. This is the government taking away our credibility. No offense flerfs. I still love you.
edit on 8-3-2024 by Cracka because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2024 @ 03:59 PM
link   

It collects all your information, even from devices you don't have it downloaded onto.

All your text messages, phone calls, contacts, search history, geographic location, EVERY THING.

For the average person, maybe no big deal. But think of all the information being collected from people in the military, other government agencies, corporations...

posted on Mar, 8 2024 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I ain't never used it before

posted on Mar, 8 2024 @ 09:09 PM
link   

There's good reason the government doesn't allow it on government phones. It's not just fear of wasted time and data usage, as you can still access YouTube on a govt issued phome.
It's a little more insidious than what is presented in open sources. Will never have it on my phone.

posted on Mar, 8 2024 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

It collects all your information, even from devices you don't have it downloaded onto.

All your text messages, phone calls, contacts, search history, geographic location, EVERY THING.

For the average person, maybe no big deal. But think of all the information being collected from people in the military, other government agencies, corporations...

How do you know this?

Source(s)?

Thanks.

posted on Mar, 8 2024 @ 10:20 PM
link   

A lot of pro censorship happening here. I must say I an a little surprised. We are bombarded with information everyday, but some people want to control the sources. Shaking my head

posted on Mar, 9 2024 @ 02:36 AM
link   
a reply to: SchrodingersRat

It's in TikTok's user agreement.

posted on Mar, 13 2024 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Some say the bill passed by the house today bans TikTok in the United States. Others are saying it does not ban tick tock in the United States.

Which one is true?

posted on Mar, 13 2024 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I don't have a cell phone so I don't have to worry about it.
If I did have a cell phone, I wouldn't use tiktok.
Why? Because the kids love it so it must be messed up.
They are into weird stuff. (yes, I sound old).

posted on Mar, 13 2024 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeMustCare
Some say the bill passed by the house today bans TikTok in the United States. Others are saying it does not ban tick tock in the United States.

Which one is true?

Its not banned.
The senate has to pass it.
And then Biden signs it (I think).

posted on Mar, 13 2024 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Tiktok relies on its users being sensible. They don't really monitor or moderate it much in the west.

posted on Apr, 24 2024 @ 12:27 AM
link   
TikTok...TikTok...your life is nearer to its end on earth.

posted on Apr, 24 2024 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: UpIsNowDown2
Most of us have heard of tiktok, some will even use it or have it installed, as someone who does not use it I cant vouch for how full of fake videos it is, but I did hear/see Joe Rogan bring up this interesting point

Joe Rogan explains why TikTok in China is ‘better’

“China’s version of TikTok celebrates academic achievements and athletic achievements. It’s all science projects. All these different fascinating things.”

“What are we doing on TikTok?” he scoffed. “Kids are f**king dancing. They’re screaming about veganism and how blue their hair is. It’s wild.”

Then the main reason I wanted to add this thread was because of this video which popped up in my youtube feed

AI-generated conspiracy theories have taken over TikTok, racking up millions of views with ridiculous claims of government coverups and impending doom. But they're not coming out of nowhere -- they're a response to TikTok's new Creativity Program Beta, which pays content creators for videos that generate a lot of cheap views. And without stronger content moderation rules, it's going to get a lot worse.

So be aware not everyting you see no matter how much you want to believe (thanks Mulder) is real let alone true, click bait is such an easy way to make money these days and if your using AI to make it, 100s or 1000s or even millions of videos can be churned out for the gullible to watch and earn someone an income, most of us skeptics on ATS stick with a few mottos and one has always been 'follow the money'

Now wheres my Play-Doh

Well, hes not wrong. I like to watch Joe Rogan, and I remember this episode. He isnt the only guy Ive heard say that Tik Tok was designed by the chinese to encourage American kids to be stupid and do dum dum things like eat tide pods. I would never have tik tok, or any social media, because its just a way for the government to spy on you. Ands its worse when the Chinese government spys on you, because there communists, so who knows what they do with that data. Maybe they are using the data to plan the invasion. And if everyones too busy throwing up tidepods, they cant fight back.

posted on Apr, 24 2024 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I wonder how many people have died by doing stupid challenges?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join