It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spooky Prices Scares Me!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2024 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I was ahead of the trend as usual, you see. But it's not surprising. I have my eyes on the finger on the pulse of the barometer that is the economy. They call me a wizard when it comes to noticing these things.

I went out for a rare burger treat to an establishment recommended to me by Joe Rogan podcast.

My total was a blood-curdling 28 dollars at Five Gays. It's getting really spooky folks; I'm terrified! It used to be that a simple hamburger was the working man's lunch, an American standard! You can bet I was hopping mad and asked to speak to the manager. This is not sustainable!

Now I'd always heard from my circle of friends in their 20's that Five Gays was the best burger money can buy. I never go to other such places that the poors go to like Taco Smell or McSmegma. I'd say Dick-fil-a is good but I make better chicken sammies at home with my own specially nourished chickens.

By the way, there is something off about the chickens you get at the market. I think it's something in the feed...

You can quote me on that--something is off about the chickens

edit on 7-3-2024 by AlroyFarms because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2024 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: AlroyFarms

posted on Mar, 7 2024 @ 07:41 AM
link   

By the way, there is something off about the chickens you get at the market. I think it's something in the feed...

You can quote me on that--something is off about the chickens

What's off about the chickens?

I was ahead of the trend as usual, you see. But it's not surprising. I have my eyes on the finger on the pulse of the barometer that is the economy. They call me a wizard when it comes to noticing these things.

At least they don't call you something worse.

Me? They call me a Space Cowboy. They call me The Gangster of Love...

edit on 3/7/2024 by SchrodingersRat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2024 @ 07:45 AM
link   

It's funny that my Yandex translator translates the name of your burger joint "Five Guys" as "Five Gays")))))

posted on Mar, 7 2024 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I haven't noticed anything off with the chickens in the market, but then you may have issues whereas I may not...it could be location-related, feed-related, farm-related, etc. many factors could be involved.

I rarely go to restaurants and I too think the prices are way too high, however having said that, I was recently coerced into going out for dinner and the meal I chose was quite exceptional and the chef prepared his own sauce, which was delicious - I asked the waiter to tell the chef "it's really really good". So I decided what I was paying for was a taste experience and an outing - therefore entertainment. After explaining or complaining as to how much food I could buy for the amount of the bill, I ended up enjoying the whole experience and decided it was worth it, for what it was.

posted on Mar, 7 2024 @ 07:57 AM
link   
About ten years ago, maybe a little less, I was complaining to a friend of mine about how no matter what you do in our rural area, it's going to cost you at least $50. If you add the gas to travel to whatever store or restaurant you are going to, together with the cost of a few simple items or a simple meal, $50 easy. Now it's more like $100, esp. with gas as high as it has been. Our fiat money will always inflate, esp. with nothing but debt to back it.
edit on 3/7/2024 by TheMichiganSwampBuck because: for clarity

posted on Mar, 7 2024 @ 08:00 AM
link   

5 Guys has always been more expensive than other burger places.

But inflation is definitely becoming a huge problem for lots of people. It's been a while since I've been to any fast food places, but Hooters usually has great burgers. Depending on the location anyway.

I'd recommend patronizing local Mom & Pop type places instead of national chains. The quality will almost always be better.

posted on Mar, 7 2024 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Five guys is supposed to be upscaled fast food. If you complained about the 18$ teen burger from a n w or the 16$ quarter pounder meal from McDonalds maybe I could take you seriously.

You went to the THE BEST and expected to pay Pennys.

Anyway hope you liked your massive bag of fries
Asked to speak to the manger. Ok karenfarms embarrassed for your

edit on 7-3-2024 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2024 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

originally posted by: watchitburn

5 Guys has always been more expensive than other burger places.

But inflation is definitely becoming a huge problem for lots of people. It's been a while since I've been to any fast food places, but Hooters usually has great burgers. Depending on the location anyway.

I'd recommend patronizing local Mom & Pop type places instead of national chains. The quality will almost always be better.

True - Mom & Pop places always have been better quality. I haven't eaten at 5 Guys in a while but I remember their burgers were pretty good compared to other chain burgers, but they were pricey even back in the day.

With that said, the best burgers by *far* can usually be found in your local pub/restaurant. There are 2 places near me that are outstanding. 1/2 lb burgers with whatever you want on it. I usually get cheddar cheese, bacon & grilled onions.

I can almost feel the juice dripping down my chin as I type this...

edit on 3/7/2024 by SchrodingersRat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2024 @ 09:02 AM
link   

They caught crap this week for price gouging and varying prices location to location. They're one of the most expensive. (Michigan)

posted on Mar, 7 2024 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I find this amazing because folks are complaining about the cost of luxury things like fast food, meanwhile everyone I know (including myself) are more worried about keeping a roof over their head and affording groceries.

Must be nice just worrying about the cost of a hamburger at a fast food joint.

edit on 3/7/24 by GENERAL EYES because: grammar edit...you vil eat ze bugs

posted on Mar, 7 2024 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Why do you refer to it as five Gays?

As far as burgers are concerned, I can make burgers at home that blow away any burgers in restaurants. At a fraction of the price....often less than the cost of the tip and tax paid on the tab at the restaurant.

The days of the dollar whopper or big chicken sandwich are over. Those ninety nine cent fish sandwiches during lent are gone now. It is good that all that highly processed food is more expensive now though, it was causing health problems....but most people are addicted to it and now buy highly processed junk food from stores.

posted on Mar, 7 2024 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

To be fair, I don't go to those places.*

* My wife however does occasionally as an in the community Guidance Counselor...but she too even...will NOT PAY THOSE PRICES! ( GOD, I luv that girl!!!😙).

30 years..May 21st.
edit on 03241531America/ChicagoThu, 07 Mar 2024 10:02:15 -060002202400000015 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2024 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Apparently it will be going up very soon due to the fires in TX, the cattle capital of the USA.

I personally have lessened our consumption of beef quite a bit over the last few years. We used to buy from a friend but you have to come up with the money all at once for a quarter or half and couldn't swing it.

My homemade burgers are 10Xs better than any restaurant, and cheaper. It's still a treat to have them once or twice a month and we enjoy that treat immensely.

Eating at a fast food restaurant is too low quality. Hamburger is many times leathery and dry. I only eat a couple times a year if I have to.

Going out to dinner with friends is fun so a splurge now and then is justified if you can spare the funds and there's no harm in it IMHO.

Speaking of which, I was at Chile's restaurant a couple weeks ago because I was in the area for the day. I have never dined at one before so I thought I'd try it.

The service and set up style reminded me of the big chains like Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Apple Bees etc. We split a Fajita Trio meal and got an extra plate at no charge. It was a lot of food and plenty for the two of us for $24.00. We were cool with it. What floored us were the drinks. The ice tea and a soda pop were $6.70. I forgot about the absurd prices for drinks in places like these and I usually order water. Other than that, it was very acceptable. The service was awesome and the establishment was clean. It was a nice experience and I would do it again sometime. But anyways, what shocked me was the 3 couples sitting at a table across the way.

They each ordered a bacon burger w/fries and soda pops. So from the menu information, I deduced their bill was around $125 for burgers & fries and a drink. CRAZY.

posted on Mar, 7 2024 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

Hey G.E.....what part of the world are you in? If you're struggling like at lot folks, there are resources local to whatever area you live in. (Country, dependent).

God bless✌️

posted on Mar, 7 2024 @ 10:07 AM
link   
The economy is gone to crap it ain't right getting a receipt that says $30 for a dang cheese burger.

posted on Mar, 7 2024 @ 10:16 AM
link   
An opinion I often voice about Sydney NSW.

a reply to: TheMichiganSwampBuck

posted on Mar, 7 2024 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Sometimes I feel lucky I live in the middle of nothing where no multi national or national chains wish to proliferate. All we have around me is a little diner that actually inside is huge and they have family style tables or regular tables and booths. Love going there to get my huge pork tenderloin sandwich that is basically homemade so good pickle and home fries. Only 6.99. Fun sitting at the family style tables too because its always a bunch of old farmers or their wives im talking 70 or 80 year olds just drinking coffee shooting the #.

posted on Mar, 7 2024 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

We're in Arkansas.

One of the poorest run states in the Union.

They move really slow here and there is a lot of bueraucratic overlap.

Our former city recently became a hotspot for monied peoples fleeing the high cost of living in other states and it's become a financial nightmare for the locals.

We ended up moving 35 miles out in the middle of nowhere, and folks are buying up properties adjacent to ours in a massive land grab.

Things are tough all over regionally, except for businesses and property owners.

Local services and beneficiaries are overrun with requests for emergency assistance.

posted on Mar, 7 2024 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

Five guys is supposed to be upscaled fast food.

Does that mean it doesn’t look like plastic, taste like plastic, and have about the same nutritional value?

<<   2 >>

join