It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russians chant ‘Putin is a killer’ in biggest act of defiance since war began

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2024 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Crowds in Moscow shouted ‘Putin is a killer’ as they gathered for the funeral of Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny.
Navalny’s supporters strongly believe the president is responsible for the 47-year-old’s death at a penal colony last month.
Today his coffin travelled in a hearse to the Church of the Icon of the Mother of God Soothe My Sorrows, in the Maryino district, where he has previously lived.
His coffin was carried inside while mourners applauded and called out ‘Navalny! Navalny!’ as large numbers of riot police watched on.
It’s reported several churches in the capital had refused to hold the service.
Hours before the funeral was set to start, hundreds waited to enter the church and Western diplomats were spotted in.....

Russians chant ‘Putin is a killer’ in biggest act of defiance since war began

metro.co.uk...

It looks as if lots of people defied Putin and the police and turned out for the Funeral of Alexei Navalny.

One mourner said: ‘I feel this is a funeral for the Russia that might have been.’

A woman said: ‘For us it was hope for a brighter future, not for North Korea.

Maybe one day this will be seen as a big step forward towards the freeing of the Russian people from Putin's dictatorship.
Alexei Navalny must of known that Putin wouldn't let him live and knew what Putin had planned for him after all the previous murders of opposition leaders, but he want to remain in his coutry as a reminder to his people.

posted on Mar, 1 2024 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

If this statement is true, then you now know how systemic the corruption is in Russia.
Putin cannot hold onto power like this his whole life, and especially not after he's dead. He's doing the nation a disservice by being a paranoid dictator.

posted on Mar, 1 2024 @ 10:37 AM
link   
GOOD FOR THEM!!

Side note - I feel so sorry for this mans wife.
The man she loves was taken away from her.
She couldnt even get to the funeral.
Sad.

posted on Mar, 1 2024 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kurokage

Maybe one day this will be seen as a big step forward towards the freeing of the Russian people from Putin's dictatorship.

Let's hope so.
Unfortunately, I remember hoping the same thing during the Tiananmen Square protest.

posted on Mar, 1 2024 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
GOOD FOR THEM!!

Sad.

It's very sad his wife couldn't attend her husbands funeral. His parents did go and it was his mother Lyudmila Navalnaya, who spent eight days trying to get authorities to release the body.

posted on Mar, 1 2024 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

If this statement is true, then you now know how systemic the corruption is in Russia.
Putin cannot hold onto power like this his whole life, and especially not after he's dead. He's doing the nation a disservice by being a paranoid dictator.

It's a shame the Russian state seems to have applied pressure on the churches to try and prevent his burial.

posted on Mar, 1 2024 @ 11:00 AM
link   
This just in....

Thousands of people suddenly disappear in Russia. Experts are baffled when thousands of people who attended the funeral of Putin critic go missing overnight.

Film at 11.

edit on 1-3-2024 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2024 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
This just in....

Thousands of people suddenly disappear in Russia. Experts are baffled when thousands of people who attended the funeral of Putin critic go missing overnight.

Film at 11.

Yeah, I can see the headline,
'Thousands of Russian appear to have all jumped out the same window in moscow today?'

posted on Mar, 1 2024 @ 11:10 AM
link   

I read how his team had enormous troubles with hiring a hearse. No funeral home wanted to take Navalny's body to the church. It's really disgusting how this cruel regime treats dissenters humiliating them even after death.

Many young people were heartbroken. They lost all hope of gaining some moderate freedom. Dunno if Navalny's death will change anything. This unfortunate nation had its fair share of brave dissidents, including not only politicians but also poets and artists, and yet always remained in the grip of autocratic terror. Only dictators keep changing.

Navalny's death is a great loss for Russia, the neighboring countries and even the world. If he was a president, he would guarantee freedom for Russian people and peace for other countries. I feel sad, genuinely sad, because I know we would have a chance to develop a really positive relationship with Russia instead of that war mess that we and also other countries found ourselves in.

posted on Mar, 1 2024 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Heartening to see the thousands of Russians who turned out in the face of government threats to stand with Alexei Navalny as he was laid to rest , his body may be dead but his spirit lives in the hearts of the Russian people who share his desire for an end to their repressive regime.

People detained at Alexei Navalny's memorial set up in Moscow.

Putin was able to kill the man but he can't kill the desire he represented.

RiP Alexei Navalny.
edit on 1-3-2024 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2024 @ 11:17 AM
link   
It's very nice to see the Russian public expres their true feelings and defying Putins actions.

Thank you Navalny!

posted on Mar, 1 2024 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: twistedpuppy

I read a few news articles saying the same thing about the trouble his family had in arranging his funeral. Putin does seem to fear a dead Alexei Navalny as much as a feared a living one.

posted on Mar, 1 2024 @ 11:19 AM
link   

“The fact is that I am a religious person… I was quite a militant (atheist) myself. But now I am a believer, and it helps me a lot in my work.”.

Navalny quote at his court hearing before being sentenced in 2021.
Might have had something to do with many churches saying "niet" to holding his funeral perhaps?
As to the turnout and the chanting, the Kremlin are well used to such protestations. Nothing new or heroic about them. People are and do protest in Russia.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 1 2024 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Heartening to see the thousands of Russians who turned out in the face of government threats to stand with Alexei Navalny as he was laid to rest , his body may be dead but his spirit lives in the hearts of the Russian people who share his desire for an end to their repressive regime.

Putin was able to kill the man but he can't kill the desire he represented.

RiP Alexei Navalny.

Perfectly said my friend.

posted on Mar, 1 2024 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Can i just add all are welcome to this conversation, including those from Russia, there are many threads started on ATS at the moment where it is implied that the British must refrain from posting

ATS welomes conversation

posted on Mar, 1 2024 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: UpIsNowDown2

Can i just add all are welcome to this conversation, including those from Russia, there are many threads started on ATS at the moment where it is implied that the British must refrain from posting

ATS welomes conversation

I whole heartedly agree.

posted on Mar, 1 2024 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Film at 11.

followed later in other breaking sports news, there are multiple winners in the latest kamikaze from the hundredth floor swan dive to the street competition in which thousands have participated.

edit on 1-3-2024 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2024 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

Might have had something to do with many churches saying "niet" to holding his funeral perhaps?

From what I read it was funeral homes that refused to hold a ceremony. If I understood it correctly, they first planned a civil ceremony, not a religious one.

People are and do protest in Russia.

Possibly. But there are severe repercussions. They got much more severe since 2020. Sure, there was a "pandemic" but the demonstrations have remained strictly limited.

posted on Mar, 1 2024 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

Or the churches wanted nothing to do with a nazi burial.Nalvany was not a nice man but keep up with your cold war hang over.

posted on Mar, 1 2024 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
GOOD FOR THEM!!

Sad.
Have you not seen the boyfriend? Yeah grieving while lying on her back.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join