It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dynamic pricing WTF

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2024 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: NotVaxxed

I like to get my burger from local farmers myself.

Guess I'm just weird like that.

It sounds a lot like happy hour without the buzz.

Enjoy them burgers JinMI, while you can.

Soon we will be eating cereal for dinner.

Dinner Cereal.

It will cost more than the breakfast cereal because it will be fortified with bugs.

edit on 27-2-2024 by NorthOS because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2024 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: Ravenwatcher

a reply to: Ravenwatcher

I'm not seeing an issue.

Reflects well the definition of supply and demand.

If it fails, then it's the business that suffers. The consumer remains unharmed. Unless there's something I'm missing.

Huh?? so you are good at paying a price for a burger at 11 am but paying $2.00 more at 12pm ?

Actually, I'm not good with it, and if that happens, I won't be buying any inflated priced burgers. I'll eat at home. And I'd wager if this is a bad idea, others will do the same and they will get the message at bud light speed. (rimshot)

But it's not illegal, it's business.

We rarely eat hamburgers out anymore. I can cook a mean burger, using grassfed organic burger, homemade bun, and a pile of fried onions and American cheese on it and not that processed cheese food that is used in most restaurants...for about two bucks a quarter pound plus size burger. Did I mention I split and butter the bun and toast it on the cast iron square frying pan ahead of time? Lots of flavor, one burger satisfies my hunger more than two burgers in a restaurant. Full of flavor.

Now why would I spend a buck and a half more to get a similar burger which has no taste in a restaurant? The tip, tax, and soft drink or coffee in the restaurant usually cost more than it costs to make the meal at home for lots of things.

Fries, we can make three baskets of french fries, enough for four people, for under a buck in the french fryer. A pot of coffee costs less than thirty five cents. The wife likes some coke, a one point two five liter costs a buck and a half...about thirty cents a glass.

Once in a while we do go out for a fish fry or maybe a chinese buffet, and very rarely we stop at BK or Hardies to treat ourselves to a burger....we do this to remind us how much better our homemade stuff is than the crap in the restaurants these days.

It takes time to make food from scratch, but if you consider the time to travel to a restaurant, and the waiting time in the restaurant with at least a couple of people who are sick and coughing, the time is usually not much more to cook at home. Although, making homemade french onion soup or Minestrome soup does take hours to prepare the broth from bones, it is worth it, we have not found any restaurant around anymore that has great homemade soups since about twenty years ago. Seems like they all buy commercial cheap broths these days.

But for most people who work a lot, it is hard to have time to do what we do since we are both retired. I do most of the cooking now, the wife put in her time when I was working long hours in my construction business I owned. So now I prepare most meals and make bread and we go shopping and I vacuum pack supplies for freezing. It has to be done almost as soon as we get home, the quicker the freezing, the better the result after thawing.

Yes, we are spoiled, my daughters were trying to talk me into starting a restaurant a few years ago because I can cook really good foods and do not cut corners. Their motive....I would have leftovers every day that they could pick up for supper free of charge.
I wasn't born yesterday, I know when someone is praising my food because I bring them some and they do not need to cook.

posted on Feb, 27 2024 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

We stopped eating out very much about five years ago and we’ve saved a ton of cash.

Like you, I’ve come to really enjoy cooking for us.

Going out for Chinese buffet was one exception we made.

Now that my father in law is living with us we don’t even go out for that.

He was a cook in a Chinese restaurant most of his life and I’m learning a few things from him.

Since he moved in our grocery bill is even less a month, even with the additional mouth to feed.

We save the most on meat. Most of his dishes use meat but way less than would be in a wester meal.

He uses every product of the meal, like the water he boils the vegetables in. He makes a killer soup with it adding a bit of ginger, garlic, and a couple of chopped carrots or potatoes.

Not eating out is the way to go. Coming home from work to a kitchen that smells like a Chinese restaurant is an added bonus!

posted on Feb, 27 2024 @ 10:43 PM
link   
If you want really good food, you'll pay around $100 or more per meal. You get top service and ambiance at a fine dining establishment. Fancy table settings on a table with a tablecloth, real cloth napkins, with candles and floral arrangements. You can have a fine wine or craft beer, and a restaurant owner or professional chef will come to you personally and ask you how your dining experience has been.

Burgers at Wendy's are going up, boo-hoo, all that fast food sucks nowadays anyway and the regular prices are too high. For the cost of a fast food meal at places like Wendy's, you would do better at a local family restaurant or all-you-can-eat buffet (like Golden Corral ugh, I hate those unsanitary pig troughs).

posted on Feb, 27 2024 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: NorthOS

I like Chinese food, but have not mastered cooking it yet. I can make a stir fry to add to the rice and generals chicken but buy a decent generals chicken brand from one store here. Not very expensive, like seven bucks for that bag but it does serve the wife and I, grandson-in-law, and two great grandkids and the wife and I can still have lunch the next day from leftovers.

But other than the homemade stirfry, I suck at making oriental foods. The generals chicken brand we buy is decent, but I would rather go to a buffet at a chinese restaurant, with real Chinese cooking and serving things there.

I would like to try some Korean dishes, but we do not have a Korean restaurant around here.

Lucked out with the father in law there.

I learned to make a really great chicken and rice dish from my brother in law when I was around eighteen. He was from Micronesia...boy can those people cook some great tasting foods. But, I have not made that in over forty years now. I can't remember what was in it. I could probably get ahold of him or his family and get the recipe, he is still alive as of last year, but had a stroke and can't communicate that well anymore. He is over eighty now. His son, my nephew, doesn't know how to make it, but when he moved back to Yap, he got married after my sister and him got divorced, and he had another kid who is a facebook friend of mine too, plus his new wife has some kids from his deceased brother...had to marry his brothers wife after he died I guess, some sort of a tradition or something if the brother is not married. Don't know exactly how that works...they have some strange traditions. I guess his uncle was a governor of yap and his grandfather or something was king or president of Micronesia or something long ago. Almost royalty over there, and here, he was a landscape worker then foundry worker....Real nice guy though, my sister should have gone live over there with him instead of getting divorced.

posted on Feb, 27 2024 @ 11:09 PM
link   
With biometrics becoming more mainstream, it will soon be possible to identify individual customers a la "Minority Report".

Just wait until "dynamic pricing" results in Denial Pricing, as in

"You have been identified as 'invaliid', you are not eligible for service at this location".

posted on Feb, 28 2024 @ 12:31 AM
link   
UberEats

20 McNuggets
2 Medium fries
1 Soda

26.67 before Tip

Yes. You pay for convenience and right now the Gen X and Gen Z Stoners are keeping them afloat.
edit on Febam29amf0000002024-02-28T00:31:58-06:001258 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2024 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Actually it does make things easier.
Here is one less place that you have to remember when you go looking for junk food.
I can also make a better hamburger at home for 1/3 of what they charge. They just helped me to save some money.

posted on Feb, 28 2024 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Pretty easy to circumvent...if it happens.
Just buy all the food you want when the prices are lower and reheat it later. If the kids and I ate fast food it wood be great. I doubt that the menu prices will be lower than they currently are though. This seems like a cash for convenience grab to me. Surge pricing=current+20%....something like that.

posted on Feb, 28 2024 @ 05:25 AM
link   
What's happened is companies have shrunk their product to its limit. They have raised their prices to their limit. But shareholders and CEOs want even more. So they will give this a try along with probably making us stock the shelves in the markets like they do with self checkout. Ridiculous.

I will not be going anywhere where the price goes up just because it's busy.

posted on Feb, 28 2024 @ 05:32 AM
link   
This is it.... I can't believe.... nah....

The Franchise Wars.... remember who wins?

posted on Feb, 28 2024 @ 06:14 AM
link   

The way I see it is that the price will soon come down again and price stability will be a thing when nobody buys anything anymore. Especially not at peak times and prices.

People have powers too. See Bud light.
Don't mess with your customers on which you rely!
edit on 28-2-2024 by Hecate666 because: GJ df

posted on Feb, 28 2024 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Heads Up Folks...

Wendy's will not implement surge pricing as CEO comment causes online stir

Wendy's has no plans to raise prices of its menu items during peak demand, the company said on Wednesday, days after CEO Kirk Tanner said the burger chain would start testing "dynamic pricing" at its restaurants starting as early as 2025.

With increased media attention to the comment earlier this week, people took to social media platforms including Reddit and X, formerly Twitter, to criticize Wendy's plans, resulting in a growing online backlash against the restaurant

Thought so, no surprise. The people have spoken..lol

posted on Feb, 28 2024 @ 10:25 AM
link   
OK, question:

Will employees pay be dynamic and also go up when they add extra pricing during high demand hours?

Let that question rattle around in your noggin a little bit.

We already know the answer.

posted on Feb, 28 2024 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ravenwatcher

Am I forced in some way to buy the burger, let alone at the time you posted?

A $2.00 burger should be a $2.00 burger at anytime of day or night , Not just we sale more burgers at 12pm so lets jack the price up until 3pm .

Dynamic Pricing is an attempt to hide Inflation/Hyper Inflation...

i further suggest that DP will be enhanced to 'target' individuals with poor 'carbon-footprints' or/& 'social credit scores' to significant price increases All-the-time just like in 'The Scarlet Letter' story...
the unfortunate person becomes a Digital Pariah in the Social Circle

edit on 28-2-2024 by StudioNada because: digital scapegoat post re-set world

posted on Feb, 28 2024 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Depending on which state your talking about, the justification may be workers wages. For example, CA has raised minimum wage for fast food workers to $20.00 an hour, or more. It may be the case then that restaurants have to put on more workers for peak demand hours.

A cheap burger isn't a constitutional right. Stop eating out, make your own damn burger!

posted on Feb, 28 2024 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Cvastar

A cheap burger isn't a constitutional right

In the US it should be. 1.50 cheeseburgers for everyone.

posted on Feb, 28 2024 @ 11:31 AM
link   
2 thoughts.

1 - it's not price-gouging since it's not being applied to necessary goods.
2 - I think it's a great way for a business to try to boost slow periods of business.

I've seen it applied for years on toll roads. Prices drop and rise based on traffic. I don't like it but as Klassified pointed out - Capitalism

posted on Feb, 28 2024 @ 11:35 AM
link   
It's quite easy, everybody stop buying them and magically there will be a dynamic price drop.

posted on Feb, 28 2024 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Meh, it can't get bad as long as it's private and no government involved. The marketplace will be what it is.
My local bar and Sonic drive in call it Happy Hour.
It's propping up the slow time of day.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join