It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liquid body armor has been created in Russia

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2024 @ 10:21 AM
link   
A 19-year-old medical student from Volgograd invented a bulletproof vest made of non-Newtonian fluid - he led the way to his development from the 7th grade of school

Dmitry Bekker created the world's first bulletproof vest from a non-Newtonian liquid, which consists of starch and water - it hardens under strong external influence. The difficult path of invention began in a physics lesson, when the teacher first showed this unusual material. Then Dmitry realized that the interesting properties of this liquid were rarely used, and together with his teacher and other experts involved, he began developing a bulletproof vest.

The vest itself consists of a four-centimeter layer of non-Newtonian fluid and two Kevlar inserts. As Dmitry told Readovka, his invention has its advantages over its analogues. First of all, the risk of injury when a bullet hits such a vest is reduced. Thanks to the layer of liquid, which distributes energy throughout the body armor, the impact is not targeted, but diffuse.

Dmitry believes that his invention can be used to equip soldiers in the Russian army, and also states that the vest could be useful in the Northern Military District. At the moment, his team is working to reduce the cost of producing the vest and making improvements. Now the 19-year-old inventor is studying to become a dentist at Voronezh State Medical University and wants to develop in this industry, but he does not plan to stop working on the invention.

Thank you.
edit on 25-2-2024 by RussianTroll because: correct

posted on Feb, 25 2024 @ 10:33 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Feb, 25 2024 @ 10:36 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Feb, 25 2024 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: RussianTroll

Good luck getting it into production and onto the field of combat in time to make any sort of difference regarding Putin's invasion of Ukraine.

Nice to see an invention that may help save lives as opposed to taking them all the same.
edit on 25-2-2024 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2024 @ 10:50 AM
link   

In Russia there is a liquid armor jacket. You should edit your thread title to show the English translation. Cyrillic letters aren't even displayed on the new topics
edit on 25-2-2024 by MindBodySpiritComplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2024 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: MindBodySpiritComplex

Thank you, I changed it)))

posted on Feb, 25 2024 @ 11:11 AM
link   

I watched a student from OU in Oklahoma back in the Obama days demonstrate a liquid that would harden the harder the impact.
I have no idea what type of liquid it was but it was very cool, though he didn't shoot it but I would imagine it would react in a similar fashion.

posted on Feb, 25 2024 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Read all about it here:

science.howstuffworks.com...

posted on Feb, 25 2024 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundya4k

It's not really a new idea.

If they can get it to work through, it would certainly improve the likes of mobility of the soldiers, where their range of movement is concerned.

www.researchgate.net...

posted on Feb, 25 2024 @ 11:24 AM
link   

when did this Dmitry Bekker invent this vest, cuase he didn't invent sh@@.
source with dates are needed, when you are claiming something.

the the credit goes to a polish team, this from 2015.

In impact handling, liquid has a considerable number of advantages over the solid counterpart. A liquid by definition is a state of matter in which continuous shear is possible, and this makes the instantaneous pressure absorbing capacity of the liquid much more than the solid matter. So naturally, bullet proof vests containing liquid core will have better functionality than the solid ones. A Polish engineering institute Moratex Institute of Security Technology has recently unveiled such a liquid that can be used for this purpose.

A Polish engineering institute Moratex Institute of Security Technology has recently unveiled such a liquid that can be used for this purpose.
Polish Scientists Invent Bulletproof Liquid That Is Better Than Kevlar

edit on 25-2-2024 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2024 @ 11:37 AM
link   
So this cutting edge vest is based on starch (corn?)and water.

If you read the article I linked to, dated 2007, that was already old hat back then.

Things had already moved on by then.

But not in Russia, it would seem?
edit on 25-2-2024 by Oldcarpy2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2024 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

By the looks of it, the reason liquid body armor has not become a thing is down to durability and reliability problems.

There is also weight to consider, depending on the formulation of the liquid the armor may even be heavier than some alternatives already on offer.

There will also be likes testing and certification concerns where it would need to undergo rigorous testing to ensure its effectiveness and safety.

That might be different in Russia these days all the same.

posted on Feb, 25 2024 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I'm sure that some military types will know about this stuff?

Starch and water?

LOL! 🤣

posted on Feb, 25 2024 @ 11:58 AM
link   

I mean it's interesting stuff don't get me wrong.

And Non-Newtonian fluids are rather intriguing.

I remember my old physics teacher doing experiments with cornstarch and water.

posted on Feb, 25 2024 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Seems that the modern stuff involves soaking fewer layers soaked in NN stuff and dried so lighter and more mobile?

But I'm not expert.

But iz glorious new Ruzzian invention?

Would appear not.

posted on Feb, 25 2024 @ 12:14 PM
link   

One of the earliest patents regarding "Liquid body armor" is from the US.

Patent number 6,836,561, titled "Fluid Body Armor".

Which describes a "shear-thickening fluid composition that can be used as a protective material in body armor."

Filed in 2005 by Norman Wagner, Eric Wetzel, and Christopher O'Connor.

posted on Feb, 25 2024 @ 12:14 PM
link   

I mean it's interesting stuff don't get me wrong.
Interesting stuff I also remember from school, so I'm really impressed that a young, Russian, amateur inventor, has discovered 'bullet proof' properties with it, right now in history!

Smells of bull# to me that this guy has discovered anything new...but just in case, remember head shots only when it's world war Z!😱🤣

posted on Feb, 25 2024 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: AdultMaleHumanUK

I seem to recall the show "Fun House" from the late 80s and early 90s used to have contestants running in/on the stuff.

posted on Feb, 25 2024 @ 12:36 PM
link   
very cool stuff. if the cost can be low enough, this might have many other uses in the safety area. Thanks for bringing this.

posted on Feb, 25 2024 @ 02:51 PM
link   
The body armor is a good idea,but I would rather see a big swimming pool filled with it,then people play volleyball or football on the surface.
Not for slackers-if you stop running you sink,and have to exit the game.
It would have to onlly be chest deep so people dont drown.

It could go in your Future games tournament from the other thread.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join