It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is work ethic?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2024 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: BernnieJGato
a reply to: Cabin

it's getting up off your ass, going to a job, doing the best you can without slacking, not ripping people off, everyday except on your days off.

it's pretty simple.

So definitely not a remote job.

posted on Feb, 23 2024 @ 02:32 PM
link   
What's interesting is that in our society, you are your job.

It's your defining characteristic.

When you meet someone new and introduce yourself, what's one of the first things asked? Its not what gives you purpose in life or what interests you, its always "What do you do for a living?"

Our society isn't really crafted to suit the personal growth of an individual as much as it is a rat race and keeping up with the Jonses.

That's where one of the biggest blows to morale lies.

posted on Feb, 23 2024 @ 04:29 PM
link   

edit on 2/24/2024 by yeahright because: Mod edit for Spam

posted on Feb, 23 2024 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Cabin

C'mon man!

Really?

Show up. Put in a full measure of effort to the task at hand. Go home.

That is all.

Don't forget to tip your waiter, etc.

posted on Feb, 23 2024 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Cracka

Thats dumb, we don't do anything for free.

posted on Feb, 24 2024 @ 03:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
a reply to: Cracka

Thats dumb, we don't do anything for free.

"No man goes before his time...unless the boss leaves early." Groucho Marx
edit on q00000039229America/Chicago4545America/Chicago2 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2024 @ 05:33 AM
link   

edit on 2/24/2024 by yeahright because: Mod edit for Spam

posted on Feb, 24 2024 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Currently:

Stay at home baby mama squeezes out a few rug rats and claims government assistance and free housing while baby daddy works but never marries the baby mama so that they can continue to live off of everyone else and still draw his full pay.

…or is that morals.

Anywhoooo

posted on Feb, 24 2024 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Three basic people 'types' relevant to work - 'Do-ers', 'Have-ers' and 'Be-ers'.

The do-ers will work because they have to have something to do. My grandmother was such a person, could not sit still, always on the go.

Largely materialistic, have-ers work to acquire and will work hard to have the things they want. They are the ones that will overextend on the mortgage, own their vehicles through the never-never and work as long and as hard as they need to service all that debt. If there is a 'system' they can exploit, that would be their first choice.

Existentialists, the be-ers will only work to survive and are not concerned with acquisition or keeping busy. These are likely to be the most challenging of worker because they will question management or company policies and decisions, not out of ambition but as an existential exercise in understanding and free thinking.

Another factor, perhaps an increase in, neuro diversity, can impact both performance and required management input. A neuro-diverse workforce means different people need managing in different ways and not many managers have capacity to do anything other than their own way.

Drucker's management theory and a focus on objectives and results

www.business.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

Early 20th century businesses were far more paternalistic than anything we see today and workers were treated as children. Not to say this type employer no longer exists but is more about being everything to all workers and workers that choose less engagement seen in less positive light, not because of performance but because they do not use the company gym or take all their worries and concerns to corporate health.

A good manager I once worked with told his team ''We are all adults, we know why we are here. I will only need to take issue with staff who don't get that''. The guy micromanaged no one and no one shirked.

posted on Feb, 24 2024 @ 10:09 AM
link   
“I wouldn’t be part of any group that would have me as a member”.
-Also Groucho

posted on Feb, 24 2024 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Get in and hired by a government agency. Start a side “consulting” business. Push the agency into a service they “need” that only your consulting company can provide.

Or just start a union, highjack a government bureaucracy that cannot be shutdown like an auto plant, go on strike and hold everyone hostage over something the government is supposed to provide when you want a raise.
edit on 24-2-2024 by Lazy88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2024 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTophat
What's interesting is that in our society, you are your job.

It's your defining characteristic.

When you meet someone new and introduce yourself, what's one of the first things asked? Its not what gives you purpose in life or what interests you, its always "What do you do for a living?"

Our society isn't really crafted to suit the personal growth of an individual as much as it is a rat race and keeping up with the Jonses.

That's where one of the biggest blows to morale lies.

This is true if you let it be true. Not true if you have the guts or motivation to make it different. And want to be more than a complainer.

In America we have equal opportunity to control our destiny.

Everybody doesn’t have the $ or contacts to go to Harvard, but you can make 150 K as a welder or 90 K as a great plumber, electrician, HVAC tech.

If you’re a fabulous artist, do something useful like these pursuits for a few years, while you get famous.

You just have to value success more than you value bitching, moaning, and finger pointing.

posted on Feb, 24 2024 @ 10:27 AM
link   
How many CEOs, tech-moguls, Executives and Chairmen....you know....the folks at the top.... are even IN a discussion regarding "work ethic"?

They're not. It's the poor schlubs that are making THEM the money that are the ones discussed in regards to "work ethic"

Show up...do an honest-day's work for an honest-day's wage...... blah blah.

that's bull#. It's not the 1920's folks. We're not building railroads across the country anymore.

"Work Ethic" is simply a moniker used to describe the pawns on the chessboard and how long they stay in the game. Nothing more.

Tell me this. How many headstones have you seen in a cemetary that say "They had a great work-ethic!"

Life isn't about work. Work isn't a measure used to gauge one's worth. Happiness is.
When someone who's NOT happy sees someone who is, they use notions like "work ethic" to judge.

If you do something you know, have learned or excel at, you don't need an invisible tapemeasure like "work ethic" to validate it.

Unfortunately in today's society (for the past 200+ years), "work ethic" has been a soft-skill attributed to folks who either DO or DO NOT contribute to another's wealth. The cookie they receive is a paycheck and is simply a means to contiue to produce for those at the top.

rant over. Have a great weekend :-)

edit on 24-2-2024 by Raptured because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2024 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: twistedpuppy

I agree to disagree. Passion, especially passion for learning and growing, has been always one of the key points for me when making hiring decisions. Passion is something that is hard to fake and generally I choose passion over skills. Our pays are great (entry level positions starting from 1.5x average wage), although I would not like somebody just working for the money. They can get their job done, often excellently, although the energy they bring to the house tends to be not the best. I do not want to generalize, but based on experience, the employee turnover among that group tends to be higher and they tend to be more individualistic, focusing on the tasks given, rather than showing initiative, helping others achieve more and mentoring juniors. Same was in university, there were ones, who just wanted to get the degree and ones who wanted to learn and understand their field.

In tech people, it is easy to see the hunger for growth. There are the ones who love playing around with new technologies, do all kinds of hobby projects, contribute to open-source, gain certifications etc. I have 50 year-olds in my company, who still do new certifications every year. In the beginning, skills might be more needed, but passion wins long-term any time.

posted on Mar, 13 2024 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Ethics are forms of conduct.

Work ethic is your form of conduct at work.

Do you conduct yourself lazily, or with a sense of determination to do your best?

I view work as something you do to better yourself. The fact you make someone else's financial life better plays second fiddle to what's important: You. I'm a diabetic, and the more active I am working or playing, the lower my A1C. That's just one example of how work is good for you. It's a matter of health.

I've always been of the mindset that work is good, so that's my work ethic.

posted on Mar, 13 2024 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Work ethic is what you had growing up in the 60's/early 70's.

I cut grass to earn money.

I worked in the tobacco fields from 12-15.

I got my first summer job at 15 working for RC Cola. Back when everything was in glass bottles.

I had two different paper routes.

I never had to ask my parents for money as I bought my own stuff from my earnings

That's whats wrong these days....there is no work ethic because people just don't want to work.
edit on R492024-03-13T17:49:57-05:00k493vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R502024-03-13T17:50:38-05:00k503vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join