It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Navy no longer needs a GED or high school diploma to accept recruits.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2024 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Youtuber Wranglestar calls a Navy recruiting station and confirms they no longer need a GED or high school diploma to accept recruits, but you will need to score a 50 or higher on the ASFAB.

Standard Scores are scores that have a meaning relative to a national sample of youth aged 18 to 23. About half the population scores at or above a Standard Score of 50 and about 16% of the population scores at or above a Standard Score of 60.

Understanding ASVAB scores

Looks like they have at least half the recruiting age population in mind.

[yvid]
[/yvid]

"Thank you for clarifying that, looks like we are going to war."

Yes, indeed it looks like they are preparing.
edit on 19-2-2024 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2024 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLieWeLive

I get that standards are standards for a reason. But graduating high school isn't any kind of accomplishment. Just look at Chicago where they brag about their graduation rate while 80+% of students can't read, write, or do math at even an 8th grade level.

I dropped out of high school and went to boot camp. I did have a high ASVAB score though. Didn't get my GED until I had been in for a year. The GED test is a joke too. At least it was in CA, where I took it.

And I ended up being trained to disarm nuclear weapons.

I think the point here is that our education system is a joke. And no one with 2 brain cells to rub together wants anything to do with the military anymore.

posted on Feb, 19 2024 @ 08:22 PM
link   
we are always at war

posted on Feb, 19 2024 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Is the test also in Spanish?

(Asking for Jose, who arrived to USA yesterday.)

posted on Feb, 19 2024 @ 08:37 PM
link   

All ASVAB scores are not the same... at least when I took mine in the early 80's.

For instance, I scored a 98% overall for the Air Force, a 99% overall for the Navy and a 117% overall for the Army.

Yes, you read that right.

Different branches "weighed" them so that you could get in to some branches easier.

Did I actually get a 62% or something but all the results were "weighed"?

I was pretty stoned when I took the test, tbh.

I shudder to think of what the numbers are skewed to now...

Just another indication of the failure of the public school systems.

On a slightly conspiracy note, the Department of Education was founded in 1974.

And it seems they got exactly what they were paid to do...

Make people smart enough to run the machines but not smart enough to question why they are chained to them.

edit on 100000002America/Chicago2pmMon, 19 Feb 2024 20:55:23 -060055 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2024 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Good point too.

I took way too much acid the night before I did the ASVAB.

My brain was mush the whole day.

posted on Feb, 19 2024 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Good point too.

Kinda sad that it has come to this though...

My tech school was a year long with a 90% washout rate.

10 come in, one leaves.

Navy students represented a greater part of the 10%

A pity that they are dropping their standards so low now.

I do agree with you that a high school diploma doesn't mean squat.

edit on 100000002America/Chicago2pmMon, 19 Feb 2024 21:30:22 -060030 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2024 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

I think the point here is that our education system is a joke. And no one with 2 brain cells to rub together wants anything to do with the military anymore.

With the influx of illegals, and a senator kicking around the idea of allowing illegals into the military to earn citizenship, I think they are also dropping requirements to suit illegals. Then the government has an army of soldiers who doesn't owe American citizens any loyalty.

posted on Feb, 20 2024 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Silly. Kids don’t go to school to learn anything except how to turn up on time in a uniform and then take work home with you after your knock-off.

posted on Feb, 20 2024 @ 12:50 AM
link   

I flunked the Navy entrance hearing test, but the tester wrote down that I passed with flying colors. Got put on a desk job after 9 months because I was botching the Morse code interpretations during our spy missions. Upon discharge 4 years later, the Navy paid for my college, and now sends me a check every month for having a "Service Connected" hearing loss.

The moral of the story? Lowering requirements is bad for the Navy, which is bad for America.

edit on 2022024 by WeMustCare because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2024 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I agree, but it's also to build a mindless group of thugs, that will be controlled by outside forces such as those pushing WOKE, under the banner of the US military with no allegiance to the country.

posted on Feb, 21 2024 @ 09:25 AM
link   

I'm cracking up over here. I took the ASVAB high as a kite as well. Got a 99.
Didn't end up enlisting, but I had recruiters up my a$$ for a long time. Had some guys from the Navy contact a veteran family friend as well.

posted on Feb, 21 2024 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Yea.. if you fail high school its because you wern't attending class or trying at all. I don't see any issue with accepting dropouts as they could just be lost kids that had a bad home life.

The military might be able to provide a start to a life for them. Instead of just going into crime or some factory job.

posted on Feb, 21 2024 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Good point too.

We took ours in high school. I wasn't joining the military under Clinton so I had no desire to try. I remember going through and marking answers randomly all the way down and they told me I scored high enough to get in. I wasn't even reading the questions. This was in 1997.

posted on Feb, 21 2024 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xerleh2
I agree, but it's also to build a mindless group of thugs, that will be controlled by outside forces such as those pushing WOKE, under the banner of the US military with no allegiance to the country.

Makes it easier to turn them against citizens when we start a revolution.

posted on Feb, 22 2024 @ 08:11 AM
link   
After I was medically retired from the Air Force I decided to go to college.

Judging by the young students I encountered, having a high school diploma doesn't mean jack # anymore. These kids graduated high school still struggling with concepts I learned in 8th grade.

The overall point that the military is struggling with recruiting is still concerning. But graduating high school anymore apparently requires simply showing up, so it's not like removing the requirement is gonna result in dumber recruits.

posted on Feb, 22 2024 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrGashler

I'm cracking up over here. I took the ASVAB high as a kite as well. Got a 99.
Didn't end up enlisting, but I had recruiters up my a$$ for a long time. Had some guys from the Navy contact a veteran family friend as well.

The Army kept calling my parents' house for several years after I went into the Air Force

posted on Feb, 23 2024 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

Good point too.

We took ours in high school. I wasn't joining the military under Clinton so I had no desire to try. I remember going through and marking answers randomly all the way down and they told me I scored high enough to get in. I wasn't even reading the questions. This was in 1997.

I went in March of 2001.

We got to throw a grenade, and they took us into a room with the .50, Mk19, and the 240 and told us to say "Ooh" because there was no money for training ammo.

Then we went into pissing money away mode a year later.

posted on Feb, 23 2024 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

Good point too.

Kinda sad that it has come to this though...

My tech school was a year long with a 90% washout rate.

10 come in, one leaves.

Navy students represented a greater part of the 10%

A pity that they are dropping their standards so low now.

I do agree with you that a high school diploma doesn't mean squat.

If it's a 90% washout rate I think you meant to say "10 come in and 9 leave, or 10 come in one stays", correct?

I enlisted in the Corps right after I graduated from college. Service in the USMC is sort of a tradition with the males in my family. And even though I entered as an officer after basic, I still had to do the same boot camp as all the other recruits in Parris Island. Boot camp sucked but when the 13 weeks were over I was a 2nd Lt and things were much easier after that. Did two tours during a time of relative peace and then came home. No regrets at all. Excellent training & experience.

But it's not for everybody.

new topics

top topics

join