It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Security cam systems

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2024 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Not sure if its in the right place, but I thought most survivalist likely have security cam systems.
So looking for so recommendations from members here.

I'm looking for a system that requires no monthly cloud subscription but I can still remote into the system to check things while away.. outside use primarily.

Costco has some but not sure if they are anygood.

Wants:
1. harddrive to capture recordings possibly for a weeks worth.Preferably expandable.
2. POE and PVR system
3. Under water cam would be cool to put out by the dock in the water to see fish but not necessary
4. It can be hardwire longest run should be under 100'
5. easier the better to setup and manage without any monthly subscriptions.
6. motion sensors
7. expandable.
8. I need camaras to cover pretty much the whole house and dock.'
9. great night vision a must
10. 4K or greater quality
11. a couple camaras that can be controlled remotely to swing would be great
12. a couple with audio communication and or alarms

budget: prefer to keep it under 2k

I have a sams and costco accounts and it looks like they have some but not sure how good they are.

I was looking at the reolink and lorex camara systems at costco.
www.costco.com...

www.costco.com...

any advice or sites that you have used to determine how many camaras you need and best positions to place them would be great.

edit on 38131America/ChicagoThu, 25 Jan 2024 22:38:24 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2024 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I want to have security cams tiny and shaped like a spider so they can move around and nobody will be able to tell they are cameras. Or maybe it can look like a little bird sitting on a window sill or something that just turns it's head to look at people.

People are good at noticing the cameras these days, except of course people who are honest and have integrity. I just look for them if I need to pee outside. I know lots of people who have them, I am not looking for them because I don't desire to steal or wreck anything...but dishonest people and thieves, they seem to scan places well....except when they are drunk of course.

posted on Jan, 25 2024 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Good place to start:
www.cctvcameraworld.com...
mail them and ask those questions, i am sure they will be able to recommend.

posted on Jan, 25 2024 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42
I did a lot of research on this subject not long ago and finally bought this for my sister but haven't gotten it installed yet. I don't expect to be disappointed.

REOLINK 4K 12CH WiFi NVR with Wi-Fi 6 and 2.4/5 GHz Dual-Band WiFi, Built-in 2TB HDD, Support 12MP/8MP/5MP/4MP HD Reolink IP Cameras, 24/7 Recording for Home Security Camera System, RLN12W

REOLINK 4K WiFi 6 Home Security Camera, 2.4/5GHz WiFi Security Camera Outdoor, Plug in Camera, Human/Vehicle/Pet Detection, Color Night Vision,Two-Way Audio, 24/7 Recording, IP67 Waterproof, RLC-810WA

REOLINK Doorbell WiFi Camera - Wired 5MP Outdoor Video Doorbell, 5G WiFi Security Camera System, Smart Detection Local Storage No Subscription, Front Door Camera Home Security, Customized Chime Ring

Don't expect a good system to be cheap. This was around $500+.
No subscriptions with this system.
Downloadable apps for phone and PC.
Reolink has a full assortment of compatible cameras.
Amazon.com

edit on 25-1-2024 by charlest2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2024 @ 11:49 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Even a non-working camera or dummy camera is better than no camera at all. LOL

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Had cams 25 plus years.

Start small, you can always add on.

Don’t buy that big system, until you get it down.

The underwater is more about a special camera than a special system.

I use Swan they are good. I can see my cams anytime and anywhere.

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 05:24 AM
link   

I have used Hikvision systems for years. They seem to last well, and the cameras last a good long time. I keep trying other cheaper options to see if I can find one that stands out, but they come and go, while the original Hikvision cam's continue on. Depending on how many cameras you need now, and plan on in the future, determines what size system you need.

Hikvision NVR (no hard drive)

two of these

Dome camera

With just a little network knowledge, you can open a port on your firewall for the NVR to be accessible from outside, and use the app on your phone or tablet to view the cameras remote.

There may be other systems that come as a package that are decent, but my experience has proven this to be a quality system.

Good luck and if you need any help, just holler.

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I have this system I got from Amazon and I couldn't be happier.

I have it so I can pull it up on my TV and also anyhwhere on my phone app.

They are all PTZ too so you can move them around.

Damn good deal too and customer support is great,

I did not go solar this time.

www.amazon.com...=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
edit on bam26012024vAmerica/Chicago by baddmove because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Thanks everyone for the links ,suggestions, recommendations, and help.

Lots to go through.

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: charlest2

I had fake cameras in my business woodshop so that people who came in there thought they were being watched when I had my woodshop. Even my employees did not know they were fake, some of them had keys to the shop and the cameras were to keep the honest man honest.

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Timely subject for me, thanks to all who responded...

One thing I would really like though is a system with the ability to upload recordings to my own personal cloud storage, preferably in real time, but periodically would be ok too.

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 10:39 AM
link   
We have a Lorex 6 camera unit, no monthly subscription but I do believe you need the internet (my husband knows all about it, I know how to check the events on it that’s it lol)reply to: interupt42

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: tanstaafl

Timely subject for me, thanks to all who responded...

One thing I would really like though is a system with the ability to upload recordings to my own personal cloud storage, preferably in real time, but periodically would be ok too.

with hikvision, there is a program called IVMS 4500 that you can load on a PC with lots of storage, it can be remotely located or on site, and it can record all data for a redundant record, and the program is free.

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 02:22 PM
link   

While there are some systems that you can purchase and install yourself. And you'll find these in online.

I'm running into more companies that are only doing business to business models. And do most of the management in the cloud.

If you purchase on your own. Take this into consideratioin.

1. You'll have to do the setup and installation yourself.

2. You'll need a static IP. Or have to setup a dynamic dns to be able access the cameras. A static IP may need a business internet account. Ant that's more expensive.

4. Then you'll have to futz around with firewall settings to be able to access the system remotely. If you go this route. Be very wary. These camera systems have may have flaws and insecurities. Opening a port to the internet is risky. You may need to get yourself a different firewall that could allow a VPN connection. To securely access your cameras.

5. For security purposes. I recommend putting the dvr and ip cameras, if any, on a seperate network from your home network. Just in case something gets infected it won't infect your IoT devices and vice versa.

If you do business with a company, such as ADT, they will do the cloud camera system and it can be more secure. Though I would still place all that equipment on a guest network and not let it have access to your home network.
edit on 2Fri, 26 Jan 2024 14:24:20 -0600America/Chicago24580 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 03:36 PM
link   

If you can get them like over here in the UK then Ring are worth a shot. Base station about £200 with a cam and window sensor, plus motion sensor included, also key pad for entry. Thing is this system can have 100 of the above connected to it! You can have 100 cameras and they only cost £29 for the outdoor wifi cam if bought at the right place. Best bit is one can monitor this system from anywhere via your phone. No contract for the above if just used to monitor live footage and use of motion sensors etc.

One can pay Ring £80 a year and they let you watch everything your cameras record at any point in time during that period. You can check daily each evening every car, person, horse, delivery driver, lorry, dog walker, cyclist, tractor, neighbour you fancy. It's an added expense but well worth it, yet the more cameras one has the more paranoid and obsessional things get

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

originally posted by: charlest2

I had fake cameras in my business woodshop so that people who came in there thought they were being watched when I had my woodshop. Even my employees did not know they were fake, some of them had keys to the shop and the cameras were to keep the honest man honest.

About half of viewable cameras are fake.

The only circuitry was the little red light.

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Thanks again everyone. I ended up going to costco and getting the Lorex 6 cam system with 4 bullets and 2 domes POE that can support 16 cams.

I wanted something that I could install quickly today due to some circumstances that arose this week and that is what they had with the most cams in the store.

I temporarily placed them around the property without burying the cables or attaching to the house to get by for now. Once I see the best angles I will permanently mount them.

super easy from a tech point of view to be honest. Now the digging and running wires through the attic might be a different story.

So far Im impressed with them and the quality.

However, I'm definitely going to fill those 16 spots with cams.

edit on 43131America/ChicagoFri, 26 Jan 2024 21:43:55 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

I got the lorex system that can support up to 16 cams with 2 tb hardrive.

TBH it was super easy to install and really plug and play. The longest thing that it took was unwrapping the stuff and find the temporary placement for them. I got them pretty late today so It was dark by the time I got home so I just placed them in key spots for the weekend. then will run and dig the cables properly

You just connect the lorex hub via Ethernet and to your tv and basically plug the camara in and that is it. Note I got the POE system so maybe that makes a difference, but setup was super easy from a tech point of view. Now running the cables that might not be fun.

Also installing the phone app and pc application was pretty straightforward .

5. For security purposes. I recommend putting the dvr and ip cameras, if any, on a seperate network from your home network. Just in case something gets infected it won't infect your IoT devices and vice versa.

That is a great suggestion and will be doing that.

edit on 24131America/ChicagoFri, 26 Jan 2024 22:24:20 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: orbhunter

Thanks, I ended up getting the lorex 4k POE system for 16 cams, because costco had it in stock

I liked it because it stores the data locally and not in the cloud and I can still access it.

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I ended up getting the lorex because costco had it in stock and I needed to get something setup asap.

However, now that I got it running [wires still exposed though] I might look at the hikvision you suggest.

So far Im pretty happy with the lorex. Super easy to setup and allows remote access without having to be on the cloud. It came with a 2tb hd which not sure if it will be big enough or if its upgrade.

So im looking to see if I can upgrade the hd or if I can back it up or access it directly for backup purposes.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join