It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lets discuss the US Energy Grid and it's Future.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2024 @ 07:39 PM
link   
The US Energy Grid and its coming disaster .

As it stands now our Grid is Functional and Fully operational save the odd problem here or there , We are in a Physical reality after all things go wrong.

Flip a switch in your home, the Light comes on , Plug in an Appliance and presto it works.

We may be taking this Luxury for granted , In fact I’m sure we are. The US Energy Grid is not built for nor capable of maintaining what is coming . What’s Coming !?!? I’m glad you asked.

1 . Electric Vehicles . EV’s alone are capable of taking the Grid down , If the Powers that be get their way Every Internal combustion engine will be done away with and replaced with a Battery. Everything from Leaf Blowers to Cars.

2. Crypto . In Particular a Digital US Dollar . Bitcoin and Etherium alone use Massive and I mean MASSIVE amounts of energy . Now Multiply that energy by an unknown sum in the form of a Digital Currency replacing the US Dollar and make no mistake it is coming .

3. AI ‘ Artificial Intelligence ‘ . I don’t think this one has occurred to many people as of yet. AI is in its infancy and it is here to stay . People everywhere are already dependent on AI from Doctors to Stock Brokers to Trucking Companies and everything in between . AI when it reaches its true form of interconnectivity on a Global scale will use Massive amounts of energy . These Quantum Processing supercomputers will constantly grow and learn therefore requiring evermore energy.

As it stands Our Grid could not provide enough power for even one of these three. Especially with Coal Power plants being shut down and Nuclear power Plants taking decades to build .

I do hope we make a huge leap forward in Energy Technology in the near Future.

edit on 22-1-2024 by asabuvsobelow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2024 @ 07:49 PM
link   
We sold our new, better non-lithium battery tech to China.

We are shutting down nuclear, our best source of abundant electricity.

Stopping our abundant oil industry.

They want you in "smart" cities where they can controll your every move, have no mobility, and own nothing.

Basically peasants and nobility again. SSDD.

posted on Jan, 22 2024 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: asabuvsobelow

You forgot all the electric appliances and heaters they want us to switch to. No gas stoves. No gas heaters. No gas hot water heaters. No wood heaters. And excetra, and so forth.

It is all going to run on unicorn farts apparently. Has anyone had any luck raising unicorns?

posted on Jan, 22 2024 @ 08:01 PM
link   

I remember laughing at AOC and her ridiculous price tag of $4 trillion for this horribly named "Green New Deal" she was trying to push...

Anyone else remember how absurd that was?

Then this next sham, "Build Back Better", an equally terribly named initiative and trillions funded that too...

WHAT DO WE HAVE TO SHOW FOR IT???

It was supposed to be used to improve the infrastructure, right? Or am I confused?

Where did it all go? I don't see a national wave of projects and improvements, so what gives??

81 million dupes that got duped.

posted on Jan, 22 2024 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: pianopraze

They want you in "smart" cities where they can controll your every move, have no mobility, and own nothing.

Exactly .

but can they provide the power for it ?

posted on Jan, 22 2024 @ 09:07 PM
link   

This will probably come as a surprise to you, but very smart people (physicists, electrical engineers, etc.) have been looking at the problems of the widespread adoption of battery electric vehicles for quite some time.

For example, here's a recent article of the Union of Concerned Scientists:

"Can the Electric Grid Handle EV Charging?"

blog.ucsusa.org...

The short answers:

"The grid is well-equipped to supply energy to EVs at current adoption levels. Over 2.7 million plug-in hybrid and full battery-electric cars and light trucks were sold in the United States by the end of 2021, with the majority of those still on the road. Sales of cars and light trucks in 2022 so far have been strong, with battery electric sales hitting a striking new record, and bus and heavy truck sales are expected to pick up as well. Even in states with higher EV adoption currently, power demand from EVs is not causing issues. For example, California has reached 16.3% light-duty EV sales (totaling 1.14 million EVs on the road), and while California has been struggling to maintain grid reliability the past few years, increased electricity demand from EV charging load is not one of the problems."

"The transition to a highly electrified future won’t happen overnight. Even if, by some magic, all new car and light truck sales were 100% electric tomorrow, it would take over a decade for all the cars on the road today to become even 90% EVs. That is because vehicles are very durable goods—the average car or light truck remains on the road for over 12 years and some of them are on the road much longer than that. In a non-magic scenario, sales will ramp up to 100% electric vehicles between now and 2035 in order to meet state and federal greenhouse gas reduction goals for 2050. And in that case, we should get close to 100% on-road electric cars by 2050.

So, we have time to make sure the grid is ready, but we can’t squander the time we have.

We can’t accept an unreliable grid—not for EV charging or anything else! We need electric utilities and regional grid operators to invest in more energy capacity and robust transmission and distribution infrastructure. Grid operators have started planning in many places for increased electricity demand from the electrification of vehicles as well as appliances and other end-uses, including the Midcontinent grid region (aka MISO), and all will need to up their game. We also need grid operators to invest in grid resilience, so power outages have less impact and electricity can be restored more quickly if it does go out."

So yes, there is a clear path to a sustainable EV future, you just aren't aware of it.

posted on Jan, 22 2024 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Boomer1947

So you missed the requests in California to not charge EVs there during high heat. They were winning short of electrical capacity because of the air conditioning load.

Also, EV sales are dropping off already in favor of hybrids. Ford dropped one shift of e150 truck production due to low sales and switched them to making hybrids.

EVs are not selling like they were a year ago.

posted on Jan, 22 2024 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Boomer , You seem to be concentrating on EV's .

This post is not political. I'm not hating on EV's they have their place in Automotives for sure no one is denying that.

This is a Combination of three things . EVs' , Crypto and AI. All of which are here and undeniable it's not like they are some theoretical outcome .

The Digital Dollar is on the horizon and AI is unstoppable mate , Our Grid is not capable of handling all of it .

posted on Jan, 22 2024 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Google the great leap forward

Technologic change bye law dose not work

Also it's rather simple math to figure out how far short we really are on powe take the energy in a gallon of gas minus 70% for efficiency and compare yearly use to how much electricity is made

The difference is staggering they would need to build 10+ powerplants every year from now to 2050 and that's just gas not diesel
edit on 22-1-2024 by Markovian2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2024 @ 11:06 PM
link   

edit on Tue Jan 23 2024 by Jbird because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2024 @ 11:23 PM
link   
You’ve hit almost every nail on the head. EVs, Cryptoo mining, AI, they are all exorbitantly draining on the energy infrastructure. With the move to “green energy”, these demands will be abundantly clear. States like CA and WA moving to push out anything other than EVs by around 2025 or so, this strain will make itself full known. Then will come the propaganda to push for more green energy production and land will taken up to produce such things. Said land will further constrain residential housing markets and drive the housing market to levels that only the ultra wealthy can afford. Mass homelessness is coming in the somewhat near future. Bt the time we bring nuclear fusion to a useable level, it will already be too late for the rest of us.

posted on Jan, 23 2024 @ 01:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: asabuvsobelow
The US Energy Grid and its coming disaster .

As it stands now our Grid is Functional and Fully operational save the odd problem here or there , We are in a Physical reality after all things go wrong.

Flip a switch in your home, the Light comes on , Plug in an Appliance and presto it works.

We may be taking this Luxury for granted , In fact I’m sure we are. The US Energy Grid is not built for nor capable of maintaining what is coming . What’s Coming !?!? I’m glad you asked.

1 . Electric Vehicles . EV’s alone are capable of taking the Grid down , If the Powers that be get their way Every Internal combustion engine will be done away with and replaced with a Battery. Everything from Leaf Blowers to Cars.

2. Crypto . In Particular a Digital US Dollar . Bitcoin and Etherium alone use Massive and I mean MASSIVE amounts of energy . Now Multiply that energy by an unknown sum in the form of a Digital Currency replacing the US Dollar and make no mistake it is coming .

3. AI ‘ Artificial Intelligence ‘ . I don’t think this one has occurred to many people as of yet. AI is in its infancy and it is here to stay . People everywhere are already dependent on AI from Doctors to Stock Brokers to Trucking Companies and everything in between . AI when it reaches its true form of interconnectivity on a Global scale will use Massive amounts of energy . These Quantum Processing supercomputers will constantly grow and learn therefore requiring evermore energy.

As it stands Our Grid could not provide enough power for even one of these three. Especially with Coal Power plants being shut down and Nuclear power Plants taking decades to build .

I do hope we make a huge leap forward in Energy Technology in the near Future.

I do hope for your sakes you find a solution. I can tell you that in SOuth Africa it sucks. We have constant load shedding. Currently on stage 2 which mean 2 hours of each day there is no power. However, we have, in recent times, been as high as stage 6 whee there are 3 different slots without power and they last up to 4 hours. So half the day there is no electricity.
This obviously kills businesses, disrupts traffic and of course costs the average citizen plenty money. Most of the middle class now have one or several back-up options ranging from solar to inverters and petrol generators

posted on Jan, 23 2024 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I feel there’s a ‘no strings attached’ solution that you’ll be able to tap into at your leisure becoming available soon.

As soon as they figure out how to meter it 😉

posted on Jan, 23 2024 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Oh the naivete of some people. You have all got to get your brains in gear. Of course EV will work, of course the electric infrastructure will be sufficient. Why (my Nostradamus moment), because in the next few years EVs will be out of the reach of 96% of people as they want 95% off the rods. So when there is only 5% of EVs in the country the grid will be more than sufficient.

Trillions in "build back better", "where did it all go", "what do we have to show for it" ?????? Please go look at your thriving, build back better and see what you've got for your bucks Weapons industry. There's where your money went.

posted on Jan, 23 2024 @ 08:02 AM
link   

smart people say everything is going to be fine. Super. well, this one is wrapped up, everyone can go back to worrying about what the women of the View think about republicans.

posted on Jan, 23 2024 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Something that is really odd that I noticed is the tariffs on importing Chinese solar. It is about a 200% anti-dumping tariff. Given all the imports permitted from China (pretty much all the products on Amazon) it is odd they would crank down on solar like this. Especially given that affordable solar is supposed to save the world from evil oil.

I got quotes from Chinese companies just to check, and it is $3,800 total for a 5kW off-grid/on-grid system with inverters and batteries. Purchase guaranteed and insured by Alibaba. 5kW is enough to sustain my whole home, and this solar system would pay for itself in two years. That's not even accounting for the fact that surplus would get sold to the grid.

edit on 23-1-2024 by cooperton because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2024 @ 08:50 AM
link   

There is no future w it. If it's a "grid", arrangement, system etc ..it can be broken.

And if the big blast shorts us back into nothing....phones, cars, news, communications all gone...we'll just go Solar. Right? Doubtful. The bad guys will just pollute the skies so sunlight can't get thru.

Some years back....I think during Kennedy and perhaps Reagans admin....it was clearly obvious the fate of man...all men...is contingent on some fruitcake demons finger on a single button somewhere.

How ...did we let it happen?

posted on Jan, 23 2024 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Elon Musk has said that you could power the whole of the US with a mass solar panel farm.

Sounds great. Until you think that it would take a few bombs to plunge the US into darkness if you went totally solar.

I think the US is pretty much covered for Electricity, unplug Las Vegas for a few hours and you've got a few days worth for everyone else right there

posted on Jan, 23 2024 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: asabuvsobelow

I agree with you completely on the EVs, but as for...

This one is simply not true/a problem.

a) Ethereum is no longer proof of work, so no longer uses much power at all.

b) As for bitcoin, this is a common myth/misconception. It only uses power that would otherwise go unused. It is actually GOOD for the grid, and stabilizes things

and

c) A CBDC wouldn't use any energy to speak of...

posted on Jan, 23 2024 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: tanstaafl

c) A CBDC wouldn't use any energy to speak of...

You see what you said about Crypto is sort of correct.

But A Digital Dollar not using energy ? Are you out of your mind ? Imagine the Safe guards and Algorithms that would surround the use of a Digital Dollar.... Look at the lengths they go to to keep Paper money from being counter-fitted.

It’s estimated that Bitcoin consumes electricity at an annualized rate of 127 terawatt-hours (TWh). That usage exceeds the entire annual electricity consumption of Norway. In fact, Bitcoin uses 707 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of electricity per transaction, which is 11 times that of Ethereum,

www.forbes.com...
edit on 23-1-2024 by asabuvsobelow because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join