It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hospitals losing money, according to them from illegal immigrants. What will be the effect of this?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2024 @ 10:19 AM
link   
www.dailymail.co.uk...

The migrant crisis in Denver has plunged the city's main public hospital deep into the red after patients received $136 million in treatment they couldn't pay for. Denver Health lost $2 million in 2022 - but that was substantially-reduced by a $20 million cash injection from the state. In 2022, the hospital system lost $35 million, with bosses warning of 'dire consequences' for the hospital if 2024 is as bad as the previous two.

Obviously they're blaming the immigrants. What happened to give us your poor....blah blah blah? I am hopeful that the acknowledgement that the illegal immigration is costing the medical industrial complex millions will help lobbyists to try and encourage congress or Biden to do something about it. Hospitals hate losing money, their entire business model is profit at any cost.

Of course the downside and effect could be the dems coming up with the solution of giving all illegal immigrants medicaid immediately. Which is probably what will end up happening.

Thoughts?

posted on Jan, 18 2024 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Shoshanna

What happened to give us your poor....blah blah blah?

that wasn't meant they weren't expected to do thing the legal way and not live off the government's or off peoples others dime.

posted on Jan, 18 2024 @ 10:26 AM
link   

They sure spent their covid windfall quickly. The new hospitals built during 2020 and 2021 and 2022 using Covid money are things of beauty... At least here in the Chicago suburbs they are.

posted on Jan, 18 2024 @ 10:30 AM
link   

The government (we tax payers) are already covering hospital care for the illegals. Hospitals are only loosing a part of their enormous profit margin with federal reembursement.

Under the law, undocumented immigrants may only access federal benefits that are deemed necessary to protect life or guarantee safety in dire situations, such as emergency Medicaid, access to treatment in hospital emergency rooms, or access to healthcare and nutrition programs under the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC). order to be eligible for these emergency services, undocumented immigrants need to meet all of Medicaid’s other nonfinancial and financial eligibility requirements.

The Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act (EMTALA) ensures that all patients regardless of citizenship or immigration status have access to emergency medical treatment. The purpose of EMTALA is to ensure all Medicare-participating hospitals do not to turn away individuals who need lifesaving care. Undocumented immigrants use of EMTALA-related services is often covered via emergency Medicaid.

[immigrationforum.org...]

posted on Jan, 18 2024 @ 10:35 AM
link   
We’ll be forced to use Amazon AI Hospital Care. Type in your symptoms, Dr. Bezos AI will diagnose you, you’ll get sent a vaccine to inject yourself. But if you subscribe to the Amazon Health Prime service, your vaccine will arrive in 1-2 days instead of 7 or longer.

posted on Jan, 18 2024 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Denver only paid 136 million?
California said hold my beer.
They are currently paying 6.5 billion a year for illegals healthcare.
Sanctuary cities and states are throwing your tax money away, and sleepy joe is aiding them.
Those are sure expensive votes.

posted on Jan, 18 2024 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shoshanna
... I am hopeful that the acknowledgement that the illegal immigration is costing the medical industrial complex millions will help lobbyists to try and encourage congress or Biden to do something about it. Hospitals hate losing money, their entire business model is profit at any cost. ... Thoughts?

OK. Here are my thoughts.

I doubt it will have any positive effect on the outcome of the current situation.

Why such a glum prognostication?

It is said that a symptom of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again, expecting different results. These people are literally and clinically insane. They will continue to do the same thing again and again and expect it to fix itself, then blame "conservatives" and "right-wing extremists" and "privileged white people" for their continued failures.

posted on Jan, 18 2024 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Hospitals losing money, according to them from illegal immigrants. What will be the effect of this?

Probably higher costs for the rest of us, especially the uninsured who pay their hospital bills out of pocket, like yours truly.

edit on 18-1-2024 by IndieA because: Reworded

posted on Jan, 18 2024 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: BernnieJGato

What happened to give us your poor....blah blah blah?

that wasn't meant they weren't expected to do thing the legal way and not live off the government's or off peoples others dime.

Exactly. But a lot of times the argument is made that it is too difficult to immigrate to the US legally, but other countries have really strict legal immigration like you can't come unless you have some kind of skill so I don't understand why America can't say "we don't want you unless you benefit our society in some way" like some other countries do.

posted on Jan, 18 2024 @ 12:19 PM
link   

This was the same story over a decade ago.
I have a family member that worked in the billing department of a hospital in fort Wayne. Millions of dollars in medical bills never to be paid. All from emergency room visits and fake names.
But don't worry...
They just raise the rates of people that do pay to cover the loss.

posted on Jan, 18 2024 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Our hospital trust is £130 million in the red , from my experience poor management is to blame.

The influx of immigrants is having an effect though.

posted on Jan, 18 2024 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Hospitals could do a class action suit against ICE.

posted on Jan, 18 2024 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1

The government (we tax payers) are already covering hospital care for the illegals. Hospitals are only loosing a part of their enormous profit margin with federal reembursement.

Under the law, undocumented immigrants may only access federal benefits that are deemed necessary to protect life or guarantee safety in dire situations, such as emergency Medicaid, access to treatment in hospital emergency rooms, or access to healthcare and nutrition programs under the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC). order to be eligible for these emergency services, undocumented immigrants need to meet all of Medicaid’s other nonfinancial and financial eligibility requirements.

The Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act (EMTALA) ensures that all patients regardless of citizenship or immigration status have access to emergency medical treatment. The purpose of EMTALA is to ensure all Medicare-participating hospitals do not to turn away individuals who need lifesaving care. Undocumented immigrants use of EMTALA-related services is often covered via emergency Medicaid.

[immigrationforum.org...]

What you said is true, but hospitals can not survive on what medicaid pays for services, so they get reimbursed by additions to what they recieve from insurances which is why the cost of health insurance has jumped up so much. Plus the deductibles for workers with insurance are raising and so are their copays. This is a real problem for the middle class and the hospitals too, because with a major increase in these uninsured or medicaid and medicare people, they have to wait for up to a year to get an increase from the insurance companies. A quick jump leaves the hospitals broke unless they sell lots of extra tests to insured people where the rate is higher. So a boost in costs to insurance companies and more money out of the pockets of people for their out of pocket maximum charges.

That took a big jump with obamacare being created.

So to sum it up, quick increases in immigrants using the services will tax the hospitals for a year till they get increased negotiated payments from insurance companies.

At least that is the way I am analyzing what I am reading and attempting to identify why medical costs are going up so much.

I may be just partially right on this, but I know I am not all wrong. I asked a few people I know who worked in billing at the hospital a few years ago and they got me started in investigating this stuff.

posted on Jan, 18 2024 @ 07:31 PM
link   

This is planned and expected.

This way, government can step in and create a National Healthcare System and control all of healthcare.

Government-run healthcare.

It's coming.

Of course they'll say it's a "bail-out" to assist with the illegal aliens.

posted on Jan, 18 2024 @ 07:40 PM
link   
If hospitals are losing money for any reason, even treating illegals, (assuming maybe they don't get paid for that), they will use it as another excuse to pass those costs on to everyone legally here. It's easy to also assume they may not always be paid by legal citizens if they can't refuse treatment for emergencies, also passing those losses on to higher costs, so they can break even on a box of bandaids and aspirin by charging $2,250.00... A little humor there.

So they will use every means available to cheat at all their costs just like now making someone bank, while saying they are hurting and cooking the books to prove it..

Like the extra $$$ they made during Covid.

edit on 18-1-2024 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: edit

posted on Jan, 18 2024 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Could overcharged patients get together and file a class action suit against the ICE?

posted on Jan, 18 2024 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Honest working legal citizens will beat the cost, as usual.

posted on Jan, 18 2024 @ 08:05 PM
link   
check texas history of this, they have had a number of hospitals close because they couldnt handle the crushing weight of expenses.

The most obvious example is the one that JFK was declared dead closed some years ago, if memory serves.

at the pace we are under currently texas will probably have many more.

to any idiot saying what about give us your poor, they had strict controls for decades on how many could come in not unregulated flood across the border.

posted on Jan, 19 2024 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex
Poor management and over bloated management are a good example. But the main reason is lack of maintenance and lack demographic upkeep. Example:- This is everywhere. Say just in you area, your hospital/doctors surgeries 20/30 years ago they probably catered for (guess a figure, say 1000 people) but since then that figure may have doubled. But, you've still got the same amount of emergency treatment capacity, the same amount of in patient wards, the same amount of doctors surgeries, etc. etc. You can't get a pint in a half pint pot.

posted on Jan, 19 2024 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Our hospital trust is £130 million in the red , from my experience poor management is to blame.

The influx of immigrants is having an effect though.

Poor hospital management is what it seems to me too, as well as poor government management of all those extra tax dollars undocumented immigrants bring to a state.

www.newamericaneconomy.org...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join