It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge ring of galaxies challenges thinking on cosmos.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2024 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Cosmology is not my subject, so therfore i am somewhat limited in how i understand this.

The discovery of this huge ring of galaxies, says that humans may have knowledge to some extent on how the universe works, but in reality we still know very little.

Here are a few snippets from the article.

Scientists at the University of Central Lancashire have discovered a gigantic, ring-shaped structure in space.
They say that it is so big it challenges our understanding of the universe.

Such large structures should not exist according to one of the guiding principles of astronomy, called the cosmological principle. This states that all matter is spread smoothly across the Universe.

Full article here.

www.bbc.com...

And here is the young lady who made the discovery.

What else is out there for us to discover ?

posted on Jan, 13 2024 @ 05:20 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Interesting thread alldaylong.

What else is out there for us to discover ?

Given the size, scope, and grand scheme of it all, i imagine the answer to that question is rather a lot.

posted on Jan, 13 2024 @ 05:38 AM
link   

It makes me wonder if it’s so big, how was it missed until now? I guess the more you think you know, the less you really know.

posted on Jan, 13 2024 @ 05:47 AM
link   
a reply to: AllisVibration

Well the structure, if indeed that's what it amounts to, is 9.2 billion light-years distant.

Hence the reason why it's only just now been observed.

www.euronews.com...#:~:text=The%20newly% 20uncovered%20%22Big%20Ring,of%201.3%20billion%20light%2Dyears.

posted on Jan, 13 2024 @ 06:07 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Don't forget it is not there anymore. It was there 9.2 billion years ago. What is being observed might no longer apply to what is happening now in the universe.

edit on 13-1-2024 by BeyondKnowledge3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2024 @ 06:13 AM
link   
a reply to: BeyondKnowledge3

True.

That's just how perspective works where distances such as those involved are concerned.

When we observe distant objects in space, we are actually observing light that has traveled across space to reach us.

posted on Jan, 13 2024 @ 06:47 AM
link   

The most distant galaxy discovered is 13.4 billion light-years.

New work from an international team of astronomers improves our understanding of the most-distant known astrophysical object— GN-z11, a galaxy 13.4 billion light-years from Earth.

Astronomers have been looking for the most distant objects for quite a long time, some of the most fascinating to me are Quasars. The distances and vastness of of space are completely mind boggling.

Which reminds me I need to go somewhere with little light pollution on the next clear night and simply look up.

posted on Jan, 13 2024 @ 06:52 AM
link   
So what if it is a projection of what we think should be out there, like a humongous backdrop like they use in movies?

posted on Jan, 13 2024 @ 06:57 AM
link   

I would love to be able to look up and see the stars without all that light pollution also.

Just one of the banes of living in a city i suppose.

posted on Jan, 13 2024 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Last time I wild camped, I had to get up and take a leak. I looked up and my mind was blown. So I removed my mat and sleeping bag from my tent and laid back looking up at the stars. It was the first time I observed the Milky Way with my own eyes, and besides shooting stars and satellites, there were other things going on such what appeared to be stars tuning on and off, or tumbling across the sky and disappearing.. thankfully it was a warm summer night, but I highly recommend to anyone to get out there with layers of warm clothing and spend an hour or so just taking it all in. You will be glad you did.

posted on Jan, 13 2024 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Don't forget it is not there anymore. It was there 9.2 billion years ago. What is being observed might no longer apply to what is happening now in the universe.

Well yes, but... it's in our 'now' and we are perfectly entitled to speak of it as presently existing.

Past, present and future are concepts that apply only to our immediate surroundings. You can't speak of things happening dozens of light-years away -- let alone billions -- as happening in the the temporal frame of reference we inhabit. The concept is meaningless. Our now will never be their now, so to speak. But it remains ours, and we are right to regard it as such.

If you want the science, google 'light cones'. Yep. Relativity. Tough stuff, I'm afraid.

posted on Jan, 13 2024 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Not been camping in quite a while but i can remember the view of the sky from the likes of Arisaig, which was not half bad if memory serves.

posted on Jan, 13 2024 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: AllisVibration

It makes me wonder if it’s so big, how was it missed until now? I guess the more you think you know, the less you really know.

Right. And how can scientists say, "This shouldn't exist", like they were privy to the blue-print for universe's design?

Maybe it makes them look bad, after writing so many papers on structure limitations, and they don't like that.

posted on Jan, 13 2024 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Thank you for this post. We know nothing about anything. This girl found the amazing circle because of measurements taken off of light.

We have kids toys out there! Our telescopes are blind compared to the size of the universe. S/F

posted on Jan, 13 2024 @ 12:12 PM
link   

It's only my guess that even though you are correct, that these structures were, as seen, there that long ago and may not represent current states, it's that they WERE like that then. By current understanding they should not have been there at that point in time. At least that is how I take it.

posted on Jan, 13 2024 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Indeed. Night fishing has been my thing. Looking up at the stars is amazing on a clear summer's night.

posted on Jan, 13 2024 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: WeMustCare

Right. And how can scientists say, "This shouldn't exist", like they were privy to the blue-print for universe's design?

Unlike religionists who DO believe that they are privy to the blue-print for the universe's design, the scientific study of the universe, our existence is based on guesses. If those guesses help to lead to other guesses that fit a developing theory they keep going and building upon previous guesses. And they keep on a trajectory of guesses until something like this comes along questioning the entire structure of guesses.

Another example where it now appears to be that previous guesses were off the mark are the huge galaxies that have been found by the Webb telescope to near the period of the Big Bang. By previous guesses they should not have existed so early in the life of this cosmos, but now it appears that they do.

Because of these new discoveries the scientific community, the physics community is faced with a need to re-evaluate much of the structure built around those earlier guesses and assumptions.

And they will. The process of discovery will move forward into vistas yet unsuspected.

Unlike those who follow and believe that all we need to know has already been discovered and put in a book thousands of years ago.

posted on Jan, 13 2024 @ 12:33 PM
link   

To answer your question, my guess of how, is new tools. There are various telescopes that have been developed recently that can see, in a variety of spectrums, farther out and farther back then earlier ones. There are also new computing tools that increase our ability to study all the information. Couple all of that with the emergence of AI and its' capacity to facilitate our studies.

Yeah, I'd say ''new tools''

posted on Jan, 13 2024 @ 03:14 PM
link   
The "science" (double slit experiment) says viewing things, in our reality, influences what we are viewing.
Implying, human's visualization is not as primitive as we are being led to believe.
If we are applying our terrestrial scientific experiences to the cosmos, (hot, cold, time, light, matter, periodic table components) then we are also applying the double slit experiment's functionality. Implying that our visuals of the cosmos is, like those on earth, not entirely THE reality but just the visualizer's reality. *It being subject to change upon visualization

It may be wise to further develop our understanding of visualization before looking into space; we have no idea what we are doing, looking at planetary bodies.

With this in mind, perhaps the flat-earther's planet-covered dome idea begins to make more sense. And could only be there to keep us from seeing actual reality??? hhhmmmm...

posted on Jan, 13 2024 @ 03:43 PM
link   

While the Big Ring appears as an almost perfect ring on the sky, analysis by Ms Lopez suggests it has more of a coil shape - like a corkscrew - with its face aligned with Earth.

There are probably a lot more of these supper structures; but they are not aligned with our view from earth so we can't notice them.
edit on 13-1-2024 by Dandandat3 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join