It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is a good reason not to buy an electric hyundai

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2024 @ 01:46 AM
link   
A persons Hyundai Ioniq, had the battery tray impacted by something, was told it’s fine. Although now the battery wants ti be replaced at a cost of get this $60,000. More than the cost of the car.

Rightly the car has been written off as an insurance loss.

www.autoevolution.com...

If I damage my petrol v8, I could after getting it out myself get a fully rebuilt long block for under 10 thousand.

posted on Jan, 3 2024 @ 06:03 AM
link   
The cost plus the possibility of a thermal runaway when charging or driving is another reason to tell those who want to push the lithium battery powered scooters and cars to go ahead and see what happens while I wave bye bye when you are on fire or out of a charge. youtu.be...

edit on 727rdk24 by 727Sky because: (no reason given)

edit on 727rdk24 by 727Sky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2024 @ 06:11 AM
link   
When I see the local Amish riding in their horse-drawn carriages I often think of the cost of their horse, things like feed, housing, medical care, grooming, and basic attention, etc. Of course, there are other concerns when riding in a horse and buggy like time and distance, weather conditions, and the dangers of motor vehicle traffic. However, the whole promote EVs and phase out ICEs trend has me reconsidering such an alternative to personal conveyance. Plus the release of methane and road apples from the horse's posterior makes a statement all its own in regards to Climate Change and the Green Movement.

posted on Jan, 3 2024 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Keep cool! It's slowly getting out that EVs are a no go, not now or in the future. Ford has just stopped production and as I understand it, so has the BMW group.

posted on Jan, 3 2024 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

I don't know what kind of voodoo is going on with Ford, but I guess they will be my go to when I have to get a new vehicle.
Do they just have common sense, or a crystal ball.

Ever since the bailouts.....

posted on Jan, 3 2024 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cavemannick
A persons Hyundai Ioniq, had the battery tray impacted by something, was told it’s fine. Although now the battery wants ti be replaced at a cost of get this $60,000. More than the cost of the car.

www.autoevolution.com...

If I damage my petrol v8, I could after getting it out myself get a fully rebuilt long block for under 10 thousand.

Costs will come down as more are sold. I used to race electric RC cars. We used the same cells found in real cars. The RC car batteries used to run $200 when lithium batteries first came out. Now they are around $40 for much better lithium based batteries.

Early adopters always have exobidant costs.
edit on 3-1-2024 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2024 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cavemannick

www.autoevolution.com...

I am hesitant when it comes to electric cars.

posted on Jan, 3 2024 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
The cost plus the possibility of a thermal runaway when charging or driving is another reason to tell those who want to push the lithium battery powered scooters and cars to go ahead and see what happens while I wave bye bye when you are on fire or out of a charge. youtu.be...

Here's a recent article from Motor Trend magazine:

"You’re Wrong About EV Fires. Gas- and diesel-powered vehicles catch fire way more often than EVs, but you wouldn’t know that from the headlines."

"The Swedish authorities ... are keeping track [of electric vehicle fires]. The Myndigheten för Samhällsskydd och Beredskap (MSB, or Authority for Social Protection and Preparedness) recently released the first report of its kind specifically tracking EV fires in Sweden and comparing them to combustion-powered vehicle fires and the results are clear: EVs are much less likely to catch fire.
According to MSB data, there are nearly 611,000 EVs and hybrids in Sweden as of 2022. With an average of 16 EV and hybrid fires per year, there's a 1 in 38,000 chance of fire. There are a total of roughly 4.4 million gas- and diesel-powered passenger vehicles in Sweden, with an average of 3,384 fires per year, for a 1 in 1,300 chance of fire. That means gas- and diesel-powered passenger vehicles are 29 times more likely to catch fire than EVs and hybrids."

www.motortrend.com...

posted on Jan, 3 2024 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Boomer1947

Are you sure we should trust MSM reports?

andwhatabout "per capita" ? 😀

posted on Jan, 3 2024 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Unfortunately those numbers don’t tell the whole story.
For one thing the article is only Sweden.

The severity of the fires are the real issue. When one of those batteries light up it’s instantly 5000 degrees and extremely difficult to put out. There are also some nasty heavy metals in the smoke.

Hey, if people want an EV.. go for it.
But please be aware that fires in theses things are not the same as other cars.

Here’s a reference page with some good info..
www.mynrma.com.au...

edit on 3-1-2024 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2024 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
a reply to: Cavemannick
Costs will come down as more are sold.

Never mind, realized the post about the fire hazards wasn't the OP...
edit on 3-1-2024 by tanstaafl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2024 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Strange, I have seen several car fires in my life. Not a one involved the gas tank or fuel. They were all started or only involved the electrical system. I saw the two fires in the dash of the same model vehicle within days of each other.

posted on Jan, 3 2024 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Don't pet the sweaty things.

EV car manufacturers pulled back cause Toyota has a new non-lithium battery, solid state. They are also majorly on the cusp of running this new car on water. Toyota's new breakthru's are all over YT.

My only problem with this new tech is the quietness as they run.
If deer can't hear you?
It's gonna be a front seat bloodbath.

posted on Jan, 3 2024 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Run run like hell if one goes up, it’s the only safe resolution.

posted on Jan, 3 2024 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: tanstaafl

Agreed, though with these stories about the cost to replace batteries, the savage is probably been done.

It hasn’t turned me off, I am too lazy to deal with charge anxiety, range anxiety, it’s just too much to think about.

Imagine your daughter charging in a Walmart car park, at 3 in the morning charging fir a couple of hours safe!!

posted on Jan, 3 2024 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: tanstaafl

The fires are definitely an issue, I wrote another thread in here, that insurers are now starting to refuse insuring electric cars now.

And the ones that are have increased premiums.

posted on Jan, 3 2024 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: BeyondKnowledge3

Most of the car fires for petrol cars that I have seen are usually electrical, then when the fuel lines burn then it’s a fuel fire, not immediately a petrol fire.

posted on Jan, 3 2024 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

Toyota are smart in their business modelling, not pandering to all electric, still giving an option.

They are smart enough tonrealuse their market is vast from big cities to isolated communities in Australia, to Africa and beyond.

They know that people buy their cars for a purpose not solely for one basket.

posted on Jan, 3 2024 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I mentioned riding in a horse and buggy earlier if my only choice was an EV over an ICE, but I have to slap my forehead on that one.

Steam engines, in fact, I've already decided I'm going for a steam-punk look and attitude for the end of the world as we know it scenario.

Yeah . . .

"Driving that train, high on cokane, Casey Jones you better watch your speed.
Trouble ahead, trouble behind, don't you know that notion just crossed my mind."

posted on Jan, 4 2024 @ 06:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boomer1947

originally posted by: 727Sky

Here's a recent article from Motor Trend magazine:

"You’re Wrong About EV Fires. Gas- and diesel-powered vehicles catch fire way more often than EVs, but you wouldn’t know that from the headlines."

"The Swedish authorities ... are keeping track [of electric vehicle fires]. The Myndigheten för Samhällsskydd och Beredskap (MSB, or Authority for Social Protection and Preparedness) recently released the first report of its kind specifically tracking EV fires in Sweden and comparing them to combustion-powered vehicle fires and the results are clear: EVs are much less likely to catch fire.
According to MSB data, there are nearly 611,000 EVs and hybrids in Sweden as of 2022. With an average of 16 EV and hybrid fires per year, there's a 1 in 38,000 chance of fire. There are a total of roughly 4.4 million gas- and diesel-powered passenger vehicles in Sweden, with an average of 3,384 fires per year, for a 1 in 1,300 chance of fire. That means gas- and diesel-powered passenger vehicles are 29 times more likely to catch fire than EVs and hybrids."

www.motortrend.com...

That’s the big lie and coverup they’re using so they can keep pushing EV’s and demonizing ICE as bad. I’ve been hearing this lie over n over and it just isn’t true. What they’re not telling you is that the fires started on a ICE vehicle is almost always electrical and has nothing to do with the fact it’s a ICE. Such as the big Hyundai and KIA recalls not long ago in their ICE models had nothing to do with the fact that they were gas powered. The electrical issue Hyundai has with the brake fluid igniting would still create a fire on a EV because it has nothing to do with the fuel. Only difference being, good look getting that battery fire out but you’re still going to be having a fire.

Find me examples of all these ICE fires you’re talking about happening solely because they are gas fueled. I’ve never in my life heard of a vehicle spontaneously combusting because of the fuel. I’ve been working on bikes, cars and boats most of my life, started when I was about 6 or 7 because my father restored cars. I’ve heard of fuel leaks causing a fire but those are extremely rare and usually due to lack of maintenance but never fuel bursting into flames for the hell of it.

A little research on the subject goes a long way. They’re not being truthful with the public and people are to lazy to do the research on their own as to the real how and why’s of the issue.

"Fires can occur whether the vehicle is parked and turned off or while driving," the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration warned in a notice posted on Wednesday. The NHTSA said that the anti-lock brake system in 13 Hyundai models could leak fluid and cause an electrical short that may bring on a fire. For Kia owners, the fire risk is being connected to the hydraulic electronic control unit in 10 separate models.

www.npr.org...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join