It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Significant court case may have implications for self drive autonomous cars.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 05:00 PM
link   
A driver back in march 2022 was driving her Tesla on full autopilot mode in a residential street, where there are trans down the middle of the road. A tram stopped and opened its doors for passengers to get on and off.

A passenger was walking from the foot path to get on the tram, when Sakshi Agrawal in her Tesla failed to pay due care and attention and was clearly not in control of her car struck the pedestrian, and caused serious injuries.

She fled the accident scene, a hit and run, went home and probably sobered up, and came back to the scene several hours later, and was held in custody.

The law is that all drivers must stop and give way to passengers getting in and off trams.

Here is an article discussing the incident.

www.theage.com.au...

www.drive.com.au...

www.news.com.au... 69b826

Who in their right mind would use autopilot in a dense built up area?

I can see that there may be a precedent set that all manufacturers will need to reprogram the cars to only allow autopilot to be used where appropriate such as highways only.

Though what’s odd is the case has not been heard as yet. It’s almost 2 years.

edit on 29-12-2023 by Cavemannick because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 05:13 PM
link   
They argue that there are just too many unforseen situations that will need to be programmed one at a time as difficulties pile up. However, I say you need to find those out WITH an employee in the car logging and driving for TEN YEARS before any need to be on the road. I mean, I remember the guy last year who was on auto and in front of the car, there was a semi painted sky blue so the car took it as sky and drove right under it, decapitation the guy. I don't know how that self driving taxi service car is on like...year 4 of still trying the card out while Tesla just put the car out and it was immediately ready somehow to drive automatically without any prepping at all...

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: AlexandrosOMegas

I really wonder how much real world testing was actually done.

Though as the cars are connected to gps. You would thing that the car will lock out autopilot in dense populated streets.

And only allow it to be used on highways.

Common sense. Who uses cruise control in suburban streets?

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Cavemannick

I think as soon as autopilot makes insurance rates go up, that will end all thas silliness.

Make it fool proof and a bigger fool comes along and proves you wrong.

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Who in their right mind would use autopilot in a dense built up area?

People that buy Teslas.

There are much better assisted driving cars: Mercedes, BMW, Cadillac, Volvo, Lexus, Ford, GM and more.

The difference is they all put in many cameras that watch the driver. Tesla doesnt want to do this because it costs extra. After a long fight Tesla put in one camera for the driver and it doesnt work very well anyway.

Money, money, money.

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: BeyondKnowledge3

It won’t be too hard to identify if a driver was using autopilot, with all data logged in a black box.

Also I would imagine in you car insurance policy there would be wording about use of autonomous driving, and restrictions and when you will not be covered.

There’s many insurance companies now refusing to insure electric cars, as on my other thread on here.

I am not anti electric, it’s the cost of batttery replacements, such as the Canadian fellow whose battery died, and a replacementin his Hyundai Ioniq was over 50 thousand Canadian.

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: SharpyMoyron

Looking at those Tesla dash cam videos, the quality is terrible, looks like an old 480i low quality camera.

It’s all about money.

This is a prime example of why self driving cars should be reconsidered:

www.bbc.com...

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 05:42 PM
link   

I agree that they should only be allowed on the interstate for now. But then again, I just thought it over again and if this is one accident say...in 10,000 while human drivers would have...I dunno...11 accidents in 10,000 then we could possibly say that it ain't perfect, but it has greatly reduced the accident rate.

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: AlexandrosOMegas

It’s not perfect, though in way it’s drivers responsibility.

Although with all these safety features on cars these days, I notice that the worst drivers of European cars, the drive like joins, and run red lights safe in the knowledge that the car will save the from their own stupidity.

posted on Dec, 30 2023 @ 11:16 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 30 2023 @ 12:41 PM
link   
On the news last night an autonomous taxi ran a red light and T-boned another car.

Fender benders at less than 25 MPH have caused electric cars to erupt in flames, and on amount of water is going to put them out. They go for hours before burning themselves out. I sure hate to think what the results might be if your baby is buckled up in a var seat in back.

Even if the accident rate is slighlty reduced it seems the severity of the accidents is greatly increased.

EV tech will eventually catch up to the very premature release of these vehicles, but like mRNA technology there's going to be a ton of unnecessary suffering until it does.

new topics

top topics

join