It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nature is upside down: We are in the opening scenes of a climate disaster movie...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mantiss2021
a reply to: TheSkepticGuy23

A lot of folks who pride themselves on being prepared for the "collapse of Society" because they can, and do, grow their own food and hunt their own meat, haven't taken into account how the change in climate will impact their "preparations".

When Mother Nature turns against you, you're quite possibly done.

sure we do, most of us preserve our excess via pickling and jarring. If they haven't they are not really prepping but rather larping.

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom

And lady bugs don't bite! The orange look-a-like Asian ladybug beetles do, but the red ones don't.

Safety tip of the day...

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 08:14 AM
link   

What is up SO, long time no see.

Glad you're still around, however I miss the old SO days.

Nature isn't upside down, people are, and being duped ever more by the constant cacophony of blatantly bad information and out right propagation of ignorance.

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I have never had such a bountiful garden as I had this year, everything I planted grew amazingly well. The environment and wildlife in my swamp were absolutely normal and average in almost every way. The property is probably at it's peak for plants and wildlife since we had it logged about ten years ago.

The problems we are having are invasive species, particularly the Gypsy Moth and Emerald Ash Borer beetle, along with the Zebra mussels and Goby fish in the river. With the Ash Borer Beetles and Gypsy Moths, there were a few years here that were like a Biblical plague with dead and dying trees everywhere. We now have no living ash trees, just dead stands and many trees suffered horribly with the moths, even the pines. But some animals and plants are thriving, in fact, the entire area was green beyond belief the season after the moths denuded the trees and left a layer of green poop everywhere as fertilizer.

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: malte86

If Bellamy, who said his climate change beliefs left him a pariah, regretted his comments, he did not admit it.

Belfast Telegraph announcing Bellamy's passing in December 2019
There was a member here who knew David Bellamy for decades, his parents were friends of the Bellamy's. I've had numerous chats with him about Bellamy and his views.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 09:18 AM
link   
As far as crops go, you could always move your grow inside. There are grow tent kits that are mostly geared towards cannabis propagation, but you can use them for produce just the same. Sure, you pay for the sunshine, but with LED lights, the cost is minimal as compared to the days of massive ballasts and HPS, etc.

Added advantage? You can grow year-round so if you think you can't grow as much indoors, the ability to grow all year compensates for that. You can better control your environment; heat, cold, humidity and pests.

The initial costs are moderate and your first year will more than pay for the equipment and supplies. Just an idea if it becomes too unpredictable outside.

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 09:54 AM
link   

I only have a small climate anecdote. I live on the central Oregon coast. This winter has been a warm one. We would normally see temps in the high 30s/low 40s Fahrenheit, but this year the temps have stayed in the 50s/60s. It's been raining a lot, but I consider that normal for the Oregon coast.

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Here in the mile high Rockies, mild but some good powder in the Sangre de Christos.

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 11:25 AM
link   
There are always climate changes. It's part of our planet, our galaxy and our universe. I have noticed quite a bit of excess and extreme CME's as well. I believe the sun has much more impact on our planet than people are willing to accept.

As far as more wet, yep. Which is quite weird because everyone's been crying about less rain and losing our water. If we were smart, we would be trying to harvest the moisture as our water ways and aquafers become more and more polluted.

Higher humidity brings out more mold. With all the chemicals farmers use on crops and people use in their homes, it might have an effect on mold spores in the air. Who knows?

There's an ebb and flow on our planet. It's good to notice it and try to work with it or around it as the case may be. Hopefully, people won't get too bent out of shape though and claim "we're all gonna die" because of natures current cycles.

The potato crop failure in Ireland was devastating:

Between 1845-52 Ireland suffered a period of starvation, disease and emigration that became known as the Great Famine. The potato crop, upon which a third of Ireland's population was dependent for food, was infected by a disease destroying the crop.

And interesting, moisture, temperatures and mold/blight were an issue way back then.

What caused the Irish potato crop to fail?
The crop failures were caused by late blight, a disease that destroys both the leaves and the edible roots, or tubers, of the potato plant. The causative agent of late blight is the water mold Phytophthora

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Ive lived in my current home 37 years and had vegetable gardens every year. My pepper plants have been making it through the warmer winters recently. Pimentos, Jalapeno, red bell and Habanero.

Strange thing is that the summers, while they still get hot, haven't matched the record from my youth. The highest I've seen recently was last year of 116 degrees, and some 115s. I saw a 117, and lots of 115s when I was a kid. I don't know if it is a change in my eyes, but the sun seemed to have a more yellowish tint in the 60s. It seems like it is a lot whiter and brighter than it did back then. It doesn't look at all yellow now. It sure did when I was a kid, and that's how we drew it with Crayola's in grade school. Was it an air quality change that caused this? Don't know. Does the Sun look yellow to you where you live?

Do Humans affect the environment with pollution? Damn right they do. Serious problem. That said, I think there is more going on here than the effects of the human population on Earth. If the Earth has seen severe changes over time, you damn well know that the Sun is quite capable of changes as well. I dont know who we are going to blame for that

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Nature is a multilayered onion of cycles- without the influence of mankind. Nature does that all on its own. Some of these cycles occur over the span of days, months, years, decades, centuries, millennia, etc...

From humanity's perspective some of those layers are gonna really suck.

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I use to work for my states envio statutory authority and so many enviro scientists have broken down because its too late, all we can do now is just delay our extinction.

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 11:57 AM
link   
the Hippy's Age of Aquarius is coming upon the Planet

we were encouraged to embrace this new age ---- resist change at your own risk

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Good to seeya still around SO, thanks for an interesting topic.

In Seattle I had a pretty good garden yield this year, but I paid attention and keep trying to learn from my mistakes. Summer wasn't too hot this year and barely any smoke, and plenty of bees and ladybugs, but pretty dry as normal.
Beans, cukes, peppers and tomatoes blew up after learning to fertilize correctly. Still have potatoes, carrots, parsnips, collards and broccolini almost ready and its almost Jan!

Like Crayzeed mentioned you have to adapt to your weather. I keep trying better suited strains for my cooler/wetter weather, and watch my results each year and make adjustments to my process.

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Everything Is Always Unfolding Perfectly.

Except illogical humans who think nature follows human rules.

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Unseendimension

Your chicken issue is the feed.

Not really. We get a feed mix from a local feed mill, and the chickens freely-range about 1.3 acres.

If you bought stuff from Amazon, you likely imported the stink bugs

They were here when we moved in, but now are insanely numerous. We brush them off the side of the house with a broom for the chickens to eat.

The mold thing may not be just mold or fungus. I think it is carried by the rain.

When our white water buckets collect an inch or more of rain, the rain water clearly has a green tint.

I checked our the trees that have suddenly fallen in our wooded area, all of them rotted at the base with a dense black mold/fungus. It looks like several other trees are affected. I took samples for our nearby Cooperative Extension.
edit on 29-12-2023 by TheSkepticGuy23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ADVISOR

Nature isn't upside down

My first-hand experience, and conversation with locals, will cause me to disagree.

While there is a ton of outright propaganda regarding the climate, and how EVs will save us all, sh!t is definitely sideways.

I had a chance to stop the farmer up the street as be passed while I was getting our mail, he's terrified. The fungus/mold has killed his cabbage and garlic yield. He also noticed the complete lack of woolly bears and daddy long legs.

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: VariedcodeSole

As far as crops go, you could always move your grow inside.

We have a ton of stuff pickled and preserved. So we're taking this season off from gardening while I prepare enclosed raised beds that we can better manage.
(might be looking for a buyer for a used Kubota
)

edit on 29-12-2023 by TheSkepticGuy23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 01:05 PM
link   

I was walking home on the night of the winter solstice - 7:30 PM, Colorado - over 5,000 feet high and too warm for a sweater let alone a jacket. It rained a night or two after that. Rain - in December

It's unmistakable now

posted on Dec, 29 2023 @ 01:17 PM
link   
SO, I have also noticed changes in small things. Most of them happen in cycles. We have a small pond, it's more of a catch basin, as it has no spring to feed it. I have been able to keep water in it during the dry times, but not much. We have a small well that I pump into it so my fish stay alive. The dry times usually last about 3 years, and then we have the wet times. Right now, it's wet. Pond is over full and everything is muddy. This will change, and the water level will drop some.

Have you ever noticed any of the changes you are seeing today at any point in the past? If not, do you feel like it's even remotely possible the changes just happened in a small window of a few weeks or even this one year? Or is it more believable that the cyclical patterns have made the current adjustments happen, and the changes you see today, may go back to being normal in the near future?

I don't ask that to diminish your observations, but to suggest that this isn't likely a continuing trend. If it is, then the changes are happening so fast we will all die very soon.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join