It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cost to insure an electric car can be 3 times more than petrol car

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Is it really a false economy thinking you are sticking it to the man driving an electric car?

www.abc.net.au...

insurance premiums are up to 3 times more than a petroleum car.

So the savings dint really add up.

Here in Australia a large number of insurers are refusing to insure electric cars due to the substantial risk to property such as the Luton airport fire.

Granted it was not the electric cars that started the fire, it was the temperature from the batteries of over 2000 degrees Celsius that is enough to melt steel. www.bbc.com...

Issue is as there are only select insurers willing to offer you coverage they have the upper hand and will collide and control pricing.

If you do have an accident there are really long lead times for parts. Dime drivers if Tesla’s, have been waiting a year for a door handle replacement.

Insurers only allow a certain time for use of a hire car, and then you are on your own.

edit on 27-12-2023 by Cavemannick because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-12-2023 by Cavemannick because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Why anyone would takes these risks and pay these costs for this technology and its flaws baffles me to no end.

"A fool and his money are soon parted."

The more things change the more they stay the same.
edit on 12/27/23 by GENERAL EYES because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Wait till all the fire departments get together and either sue the Government or demand federal aid for the extremely expensive hazmat cleanups and road damage when these electric vehicles catch fire.
Maybe this is why the insurance is so high?
edit on 12 27 23 by CataclysmicRockets because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

Why anyone would takes these risks and pay these costs for this technology and its flaws baffles me to no end.

Californians.

Nobody said they were smart. But they sure do think they are cool…..

PM4U
edit on 27-12-2023 by KKLOCO because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 05:38 PM
link   
In the US, electrics which haven't been in that severe of collisions, have been written off as total losses. Nobody's going to own the liability for any possible damage to the batteries (and burning the owner's home down etc.), so they insist on estimating a replacement battery module which pushes the dollar amount past total loss territory.

Somebody gets to pay for that.

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cavemannick
Is it really a false economy thinking you are sticking it to the man driving an electric car?

"False economy?"

Is that what they are calling stupidity these days?

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: KKLOCO

I have an old postcard I picked up when I was traveling in the 90s...I'd scan it to share the image but the printer is still packed from a recent move.

It's a black and white photo of folks dressed in traditional 50s suits standing in a field pointing up to classic disk shaped flying saucers hovering over the landscape.

"Oh look! More Californians!"

Humor helps me cope with reality.

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Californians are blind and ignorant and oblivious to react. I know because I live here a reply to: KKLOCO

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Sylent7

What do you expect from people who view everything as a set and prop and a closed stage in order to cater to personal aesthetics and lifestyles?

It's the New Scene.

When MTV discovered our area and started a reality show to exploit polyamourous relationships they showed up at a friend's house who is in a healthy nontraditional relationship and set up for filming and immediately started coaching them and trying to start fights and drama for the viewerbase they catered to.

My friend was infuriated and kicked them out of their house.

The priducer sought to exploit the "backwards ignorant locals" for their own agendas. Elitist arrogance.

Reality shows taking advantage of naive people who can't sue for damages to their poorly redecorated and destoryed homes or inflated tax costs as a result of viable improvements that force them to sell and relocate elsewhere because of the fine print in the contracts they signed are all over the place.

Some of these industry types have no remorse for the damage they do to innocent trusting people and populations.

The public at large isn't aware of these realities because the show always ends with a happy ending.

Some viewers like to laugh at the misfortunes of others and get a kick out it. Some viewers thrive off inside looks at profoundly dysfunctional families.

It's sick.

Not all of Hollywood is like that but the exploitive and predatory ones really piss me the hell off.

I even have positive experiences with MTV so it's not a company issue as much as it is certain project managers.

We sounded the alarm word spread fast and they split town.

We may be "backwoods ignorant hillbillies" but I wouldn't advise getting on our bad side.

It's not all bad and interst in the area is yielding good fruits for locals and rourist markets alike.

I've just spent a good part of my life helping protect vulnerable people and I'm still trying to sort out a disabled friend who has no family left and nowhere to go without losing everything and trying to survive in a car with his cat outdated tags and no resources to keep his insurance current because our low income apartments we've lived in for the padt 18 years recently sold to a predatory company and rates went through the roof and he's struggling to feed himself right now.

It's complicated and the newcomers drastically changed the socioeconomic ecosystem but things will work out. It just takes time smart decisions good advice and perseverance.

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: CataclysmicRockets

Let alone the structural damage to multi-storey car parks, could be millions in damage.

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: gb540

There is a guy on YouTube Rich’s garage he revisits Tesla’s. there are reports of teslas being written off, as there is a coolant nipple that is in the lowest part of the firewall, which had been hit and fractured the nipple join.

And Tesla will not replace the nipple for the battery cooling system only an entire battery unit at 20k replacement for a ten dollar part.

This is the issue when the maker will only sell an entire unit not a component.

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: AwakeNotWoke

I was being kind..lol

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 06:45 PM
link   
You know this is slightly off topic but there are aboriginal stories of encounters with beings who offered technology to the original peoples in exchange for land rights for mining and excavation of resources.

The Wise Leaders declined because the weapons they offered to help them defeat their rivals for power and conquest would fail because there was nothing in the natural world to recharge the power cells and they had the tendancy to explode if overused much like the recent wave of inferior vape batteries blowing peoples jaws off due to overheating issues.

Even the Wise Prmitive Peoples knew a scam when they saw one.

Just something I thought I'd share about blindly accepting new and exciting technologies from snake oil salesmen.

Tale as old as time.

Cavat Empor. Buyer beware.

new topics

top topics

join