It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

64 ft

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Last night I went to the kitchen to make a snack. I get my sandwich, chips and drink and walk back toward the bedroom. I have my computer in the bedroom so I can watch videos or type without being disturbed and my Wife has turned one of the spare bedrooms into her sewing room.

So...she's in her sewing room and as I walk past, I hear her talking. We have dogs and cats and it's perfectly normal to hear one of us talking to them just like we would a person, so I assumed that's who she was talking to. I walk in the room and ask which dog she's talking to. She says " I was talking to YOU. Did you hear me or are you just ignoring me ? "

Me, with my brilliant reply.. "Huh ? "

Her "I swear you're hard of hearing "

Me "I was in the kitchen"

Her "You just don't listen"

Ok....At that point I was standing in the middle of the room, so I turned around and walked back to the same place I was in the kitchen and counted my steps. The average adult has a 2 - 2.5 ft stride and since I am average, I just multiplied by 2.

I was around 2 corners and 64 feet away when she was talking to me.

I swear you ladies do it on purpose.

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Surely you know by now the correct response is, "I'm sorry, dear. I must've missed it. You're right and I'll do better."

Then you go about your business having placated the missus on her insanity.

👍

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

She says " I was talking to YOU. Did you hear me or are you just ignoring me ? "

Me, with my brilliant reply.. "Huh ? "

Her "I swear you're hard of hearing "

Me "I was in the kitchen"

Me "Who are you and what are you doing in my house?"

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Women, especially mothers, have bionic hearing like Jaime Summers, lol.

"You just don't listen..."

What a show off, lol.

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 07:40 AM
link   

It reminds me of that age old philosophical question, “if a man speaks in a forest, and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?’

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: VariedcodeSole

I never understood the concept of selective hearing before I was married. I'm legit hearing impaired since a child, so I can crutch on that, lol, but yeah... I can pick out minor things and not hear loud things. I can try hearing what others can to no avail, but I can hear quiet things from other rooms.

I can still filter out the droning of my wife on accident everyday.

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Sounds like the dreaded “We talked about this” which my wife likes to say. I’m always confused as to when we had this supposed conversation. Then I remember that even though my wife knows I have hearing issues, that never stops here from carrying on a conversation two rooms away.

I’ll walk into a room and she will be mumbling something while cleaning out a cabinet.

Me: “Who are you talking to?”

Wife: “You.”

Me: “You have your head poked in a cabinet and you think you’re talking to my deaf ass?”

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 08:49 AM
link   

It's the hearing all over the house, yard, cars....Our deceased dog is here everyday. My wife sees him, I do too, walk w him thru the house..only ro get ro rhe back door...and see him ALREADY out back....

Look down....that dogs gone!

Just 20 mins ago....I said " Go out?.... Current dog sleeping next to me jerked and jingled his chain in response....I looked down and....current dog still asleep...then jerks up, chain rattles.

Our late dog was 16 yrs old...and went to A&W's for coneys the day he passed...

I'm sure our pets remain in some form. Our loved ones too...
edit on 12235931America/ChicagoWed, 27 Dec 2023 08:51:59 -060051202300000059 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Hey Dave? Too...I have a recording studio in home...phones a lot of the time in back of house....

My wife will keep talking to me from the front while I've left the room...or come in studio, see me with big old studio 'phones on and say " Did you hear me!?"

Duh...Nooooo! Also...in times of stress and duress...gotta love "selective hearing".

"Sorry honey? I had headphones on, you know?"🤣

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 09:28 AM
link   
We hear you walking, and think you are closer than you are?

Just trying to help here.

I will take a "not listening" hubby, over a sick hubby any day.

He has already called, to ask when he can take his medicine again. The medicine he took 2 minutes before calling me to ask.

I guess she should just be happy, you didn't ask her to make your sammie?

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 11:46 AM
link   

In my experience, when someone says "You just don't listen", something deeper is being said.

Food for thought.

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: loam
Seconded
Beware

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 01:44 PM
link   
A man told his family doctor friend that he was concerned his wife was going deaf and didn't want to upset by a confrontation.
The doctor told him he could confirm it himself by talking to her in a normal voice from 8" away while her back was turned. If she doesn't hear you, take a few steps closer and try again. Keep doing that until you find out how close you have to get before she can hear you.

He went home and found his wife at the kitchen sink, washing dishes. He asked her what was for dinner and got no response; got within 6' and asked again. Still no response, so he got within 3" and asked once again "What's for dinner?"

She swung around and said "I've already told you three times; chicken!!"

My hubby often draws the 'I'm a little hard of hearing' card, even when I'm a foot away. You know the clue; they say as loudly as possible 'HUH'?- like you're the one with the hearing problem!
But let me whisper something to my granddaughter in the next room and he hears every word.

Men also seem to have a genetic defect, where there is no connection to their long-term memory bank. You can ask them to get two items from the store and they will only remember one. The exception is if they're going to Home Depot-they'll remember all 3,168 items-without even writing a list.

I hope you fellas enjoyed taking a peek at the other side of the coin.

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1
Ok
Does that chicken have potatoes?

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: DingbatNYer
a reply to: nugget1
Ok
Does that chicken have potatoes?

HUNH? (Sorry; I couldn't hear you....:roll

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 05:04 PM
link   

The wife: You're not listening to me!
Me: Huh? What'd you say?

It makes her laugh.

But seriously, our bedroom is long and narrow. My recliner is at one end, the bed about in the middle. At the other end are wooden wardrobes and some clothes hanging. She'll sit on the side of the bed opposite of me, back to me and face turned into the acoustically insulated box at the other end of the room, mumble something, then tell me I need hearing aids because I can't hear what she's saying.

Driving down the road on a nice day with the truck windows open, some George Strait or Merle on the stereo, and she's looking out the window and trying to talk to me. I say, "Turn your face to me and enunciate your words, Dear. There's a lot of ambient noise and I can't hear you when you're talking to the outside."

She does it and we have a nice bit of conversation. Four minutes later, she's looking out the window and trying to talk to me.

Women; you can't live with 'em and you can't bury 'em in the back yard.

:
edit on 2023 12 27 by AwakeNotWoke because: I could.

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 05:39 PM
link   

when she speaks to you and you are right in front of her, do you ever gloss over?

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude
You have horrible taste in music.

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 08:48 PM
link   

edit on Dec 27th 2023 by Djarums because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2023 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: DingbatNYer

You dare diss John Prine?

You gon' get ganged up on.

<<   2 >>

join