It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social media blows

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2023 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I realized after a conversation with a friend that I haven't posted anything on "social media" for about a year or more. I have no use for it. I find that all it does is destroy once useful and sometimes personal relationships.
When I check in on old pals on these vehicles I notice that females seem to use it vastly more than males. Usually it is innocent enough, mothers showing of their kids or recipes and so on. But man if you are politically motivated by whatever political spectrum motivates you, its just non stop alienating conversations.

Here of course is the only place I do such things - I suppose due to being anonymous. Anyway, to the point, is it just me that has grown weary of things like Facebook, or X, or whatever? I mean I can quite honestly barely stand to even look at them.

Also, I think the brevity of the things put out in the world is also leading to dire misunderstandings. TikTok is almost unbearable to me. Just so much garbage that never ends....

posted on Dec, 24 2023 @ 09:35 AM
link   
“When I became an adult I put aside childish things.”

Congratulations.

Merry Christmas

a reply to: dust2023

posted on Dec, 24 2023 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Had Fakebook for a very short time many years ago, but never any of the others. Couldn't stand it for more than about a month and got out. Most social media strikes me as very Narcissistic.

Look at me, look at my kids, look at my dog, look what I had for breakfast, look where I went on vacation, look at how wonderful my life is........
Me Me Me Me.

It's all fake.

I personally know a woman who use to post pics of her and her husband, constantly saying things "he's the light of my life, I'll treasure him forever" when everybody knew damn good and well they were THIS close to a divorce and could barely stand to be in the same room together.
edit on 24-12-2023 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2023 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dalamax
“When I became an adult I put aside childish things.”

Congratulations.

Merry Christmas

TO be honest, I never like Facebook from the very beginning. I told the pal that talked me into setting up an account after about a week that the only thing facebook would do would be to drive apart people since all friends can see what all of your other friends think and therefore will pressure people into "not liking" someone that they actually do like. And I have seen that prognosis multiples of times. Even have seen people that were buddies for decades stop being buddies based on usually obnoxious political BS. Probably part of the CIA's plan from the get go.

posted on Dec, 24 2023 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

Had Fakebook for a very short time many years ago, but never any of the others. Couldn't stand it for more than about a month and got out. Most social media strikes me as very Narcissistic.

Look at me, look at my kids, look at my dog, look what I had for breakfast, look where I went on vacation, look at how wonderful my life is........
Me Me Me Me.

It's all fake.

I personally know a woman who use to post pics of her and her husband, constantly saying things "he's the light of my life, I'll treasure him forever" when everybody knew damn good and well they were THIS close to a divorce and could barely stand to be in the same room together.

Yeah, I have a vicious and crazy female cousin that does a similar thing, but with her children. She has 4 and I know 2 of them will not speak with her based on all the heartache she has caused them, yet on her social media posts she is sane and articulate and a "caring and wonderful" mother. I am sorry, but if two of your 4 kids no longer talk to you because of all the weird things you did to them in their lives, then you are not a wonderful mom. Anyway yeah, it allows people that are FUBAR to continue their delusions.

PS. Also divorced from their father for pretty much no reason and is sleeping around as much as possible when she is almost 60 years old. Its really sad.
edit on 24-12-2023 by dust2023 because: .

posted on Dec, 24 2023 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Ummm...that's really messed up...

YouSir

posted on Dec, 24 2023 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

Ummm...that's really messed up...

YouSir

It is. Her most recent grandson will probably never meet her. Her son in this case hasn't spoke to her in I think about 5 years. She is a basket case for sure. She has accused them of unimaginable things (even to the police) and was shown to be a liar every single time. I haven't spoke to her in at least 7 or so years because last time I spoke with her, at a family function with several people standing around, she blurted out for no reason that my father (who has been deceased since 1993) molested her at some point. I know this was never true because my sister never got along with her and therefore she had never stayed at our house without her parents being there (no sleepovers in otherwords) and so on. I mean seriously, just out of the blue for no reason she just said that out loud.

She is really bizarre. I just hope eventually she gets some psych help that works.
edit on 24-12-2023 by dust2023 because: .

posted on Dec, 24 2023 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I confess I'm very active on Facebook with friends and family.

My family is very traditional so it's all positive updates and family vacations and so forth.

My friends are mostly younger generation kids with an obsession for modern activism and so forth and for the most part I just support them quietly or act as a freelance therapist for their issues when they need someone to listen and offer support but every so often they like to pretend they're Political Science majors and it irritates me to no end and I flood them with information they never respond to because theyre lazy and not really invested in the issues aside from their well intended by misguided activism.

I'm sure they're getting as tired of my bull# as I am of theirs but I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere with no car and no opportunities for advancement and my cell phone is my only lifeline to my social life and educational studies I do the best I can with what I have available to me.

I'd rather be attending classes and finalizing my degree so I can get compensated for my time and talents in a professional environment but poverty sucks and life isn't easy and so it goes.

Make the most of what ya got and try to stay positive.

I struggle with that last bit of advice myself.

Rant over.
edit on 12/24/23 by GENERAL EYES because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2023 @ 11:51 AM
link   

I know several people just like the one you described including my ex father in law.

An old lady who always complains her kids never come to see her. Wonder why?
A guy who’s daughter “is dead to him” basically she didn’t like him around her kids.
A woman whose son can’t stand being around her. She just doesn’t understand why..🤷‍♂️
And a “dead recently” ex father in law who everyone thought was such a great guy except for the wife and kids he tortured with his alcoholism for a couple decades..

And what do they all have in common?
Nothing is ever their fault and every one of them is all over social media proclaiming their innocence! all narcissist
edit on 24-12-2023 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2023 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Yep, me either. My wife does facebook and shows me pictures of other family members she likes, and stuff like that. Me though, most of it just screams ''look at me'' so loudly I have no patience for it. Likewise I never pay attention to tick tock or X. It's mostly just white noise.

posted on Dec, 25 2023 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I love social media and I've never been a participant. It allows those who are so inclined to have somewhere to do their thing while leaving me out of it. It's pretty much caused the "Christmas letter" to be eradicated. If a friend or family member wants to talk or visit, great. But the social media droppings never interested me. It's a honeypot for fans of the inane.

posted on Jan, 4 2024 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Totally get your vibe! Social media can be a real double-edged sword. I took a hiatus myself and found a ton of peace. It's like a breath of fresh air in a digital world. And yeah, the political noise can be draining. That's why I prefer TikTok - there's just more fun. However, I also buy TikTok Auto Views there to become famous. That's my biggest dream.
edit on 4-1-2024 by Kryptolo because: (no reason given)

top topics

join