It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio voters overwhelmingly approve constitutional amendment to protect abortion rights

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2023 @ 09:38 AM
link   
www.theguardian.com...

Ohio voters overwhelmingly approved a constitutional amendment on 7 November, guaranteeing its citizens the right to abortion access, but a group of rightwing Republican lawmakers is already trying to reverse that result.

The referendum, which Ohioans passed by 57% of votes, established a constitutional right to an abortion, overriding laws passed by the Republican-dominated legislature to dramatically restrict access. In response, 27 GOP members of the Ohio general assembly signed a statement the next day arguing the abortion rights proposal “failed to mention a single, specific law”, and vowing to “do everything in [their] power” to prevent the restrictive abortion laws on the books in Ohio from being challenged.

Another blow against the republican-dominated legislature and the views of right wing Christians who want to completely ban abortion motivated by their medieval views and version of reality.

A huge win for common sense and basic human rights delivered by the people of Ohio.
edit on 17-12-2023 by Mengelon because: (no reason given)

MOD NOTE
This Guardian article is from mid-November, so not current.

edit on Sun Dec 17 2023 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2023 @ 09:38 AM
link   
apnews.com...

An order blocking enforcement of Ohio’s abortion ban stands after the high court dismissed an appeal

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — The Ohio Supreme Court has dismissed the state’s challenge to a judge’s order that has blocked enforcement of Ohio’s near-ban on abortions for the past 14 months.

The ruling moves action in the case back to Hamilton County Common Pleas, where abortion clinics asked Judge Christian Jenkins this week to throw out the law following voters’ decision to approve enshrining abortion rights in the state constitution.

The high court on Friday said the appeal was “ dismissed due to a change in the law.”

And another massive win against the right wing christian fundamentalists and deniers of basic human rights.
edit on 17-12-2023 by Mengelon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2023 @ 09:48 AM
link   
The people's will has been shown once again.

posted on Dec, 17 2023 @ 09:59 AM
link   
It is not a huge blow. It is being handled as it should have been in the first place. This is why SCOTUS kicked it back down to the states.

So in Ohio, the voters want their abortions. In other states they do not.

Not sure how this is a huge blow to anyone.

Also, this is 2 months old news. I know there is already an OP on this same issue.
edit on 17-12-2023 by dust2023 because: .

posted on Dec, 17 2023 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Mengelon

Why do none of these votes ever include men’s rights?
🤔

posted on Dec, 17 2023 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

🤔

I think men did also vote because men are also fathers and husbands and should have a say in how or if their family grows or not.

posted on Dec, 17 2023 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone

🤔

I think men did also vote because men are also fathers and husbands and should have a say in how or if their family grows or not.

But they don’t..
This vote only guarantees a woman has the option of termination. The man still has no choice

posted on Dec, 17 2023 @ 10:37 AM
link   

🤔

But they don’t..
This vote only guarantees a woman has the option of termination. The man still has no choice

Well nobody should have any say in a woman's choice to do what she will with her body. How would a man react if the government or his wife had final say in what he could or could not do with his body?

posted on Dec, 17 2023 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Good for Ohio, I call myself a Republican, because the policies of the democrats are destroying America, but I am pro women choices and the rights of women.

Nobody should be telling women what to do with their darn bodies.

Soo I applaud the people's vote on this matter.

posted on Dec, 17 2023 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043
Good for Ohio, I call myself a Republican, because the policies of the democrats are destroying America, but I am pro women choices and the rights of women.

Nobody should be telling women what to do with their darn bodies.

Soo I applaud the people's vote on this matter.

posted on Dec, 17 2023 @ 10:40 AM
link   

edit on 17-12-2023 by Disgusted123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2023 @ 10:41 AM
link   

🤔

But they don’t..

Well nobody should have any say in a woman's choice to do what she will with her body. How would a man react if the government or his wife had final say in what he could or could not do with his body?

I’m not saying the man should be able to force a woman to do anything. But a man shouldn’t be forced to pay for 20 years for a kid he doesn’t want. A man should be able to make a choice over his financial future and the woman can make her choice based on his decision.

posted on Dec, 17 2023 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

How would a man react if the government or his wife had final say in what he could or could not do with his body?

Do I really have to keep reminding the Leftys about the Covid vaccines ? You were all good with people being forced to take them. "My Body My Choice"....right ?

posted on Dec, 17 2023 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Disgusted123

I heard of things called condoms, maybe that would work?

People will make mistakes, especially the young and daring so here we are.

posted on Dec, 17 2023 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: dust2023
It is not a huge blow. It is being handled as it should have been in the first place. This is why SCOTUS kicked it back down to the states.

So in Ohio, the voters want their abortions. In other states they do not.

Not sure how this is a huge blow to anyone.

Also, this is 2 months old news. I know there is already an OP on this same issue.

Yeah, this.

posted on Dec, 17 2023 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
a reply to: quintessentone

How would a man react if the government or his wife had final say in what he could or could not do with his body?

Do I really have to keep reminding the Leftys about the Covid vaccines ? You were all good with people being forced to take them. "My Body My Choice"....right ?

They are too dense to understand the fake Covid vaccine was jammed down everyone’s throats but as long as they can keep killing babies, they are stupid happy.

posted on Dec, 17 2023 @ 10:51 AM
link   

YEP
ATS Thread - Ohio Abortion Constitutional Amendment

posted on Dec, 17 2023 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

YEP
ATS Thread - Ohio Abortion Constitutional Amendment

Yes, but this thread is not a right wing echo chamber like that other one is.

posted on Dec, 17 2023 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: dust2023

is not a huge blow. It is being handled as it should have been in the first place. This is why SCOTUS kicked it back down to the states.

Sure it is! LOL
I'm sure Alito, who cited a 16th century witch trial judge's opinion on women's rights as "historical precedent' for removing them, is thrilled as # over states voting to restore the rights that were solidified in Roe!

/sarc
edit on 5820232023k55America/Chicago2023-12-17T10:55:58-06:0010am2023-12-17T10:55:58-06:00 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2023 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Yes, but this thread is not a right wing echo chamber like that other one is.

Doesn't matter who is posting in the thread.
A topic is a topic ...
This is a repeat topic.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join