It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study Shows Children of Conservative Parents Have Best Mental Health

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 03:51 PM
link   
A study conducted by the Institute for Family Studies and Gallup came to some interesting conclusions recently...

“Conservative and very conservative parents are the most likely to adopt the parenting practices associated with adolescent mental health. They are the most likely to effectively discipline their children, while also displaying affection and responding to their needs,” Rothwell says.

By contrast, “Liberal parents score the lowest, even worse than very liberal parents, largely because they are the least likely to successfully discipline their children,” he wrote.

Conservative parents, the research shows, have “higher quality relationships with their children, characterized by fewer arguments, more warmth, and a stronger bond.”

Source article

The article goes on to say the report is a result of decades of research and reveals that "socioeconomic" standing had little to do with the results.

Having been raised in a big city and now having lived a good portion of my life in a conservative rural area, this comes as no surprise to me. The stability I have seen here among youth who have mostly conservative parents are more balanced and responsible over all than those I grew up with. I can attribute a portion of that to being a small town as opposed to a big city and its influences, but even so, it's obvious that a more conservative upbringing has definite advantages.
edit on 12/9/2023 by Klassified because: re-word

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I think the use of the plural "Parents" is the at the crux of all of this.

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

I can attest to this in my own extended family and acquaintances.

They are a mess. Anxiety, self harm, can’t hold a job.

How on earth are they expected to process anything when they’ve been bombarded with the woke logic, false victimization, and white hate by their parent / parents and the education system?

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Media bias fact check: Overall, we rate the Institute for Family Studies (IFS) right biased based on story selection that favors conservative causes and Mixed for factual reporting based on the endorsement of poor science. mediabiasfactcheck.com...

Programed parents have programmed kids.

What happens after they get away from mommy and daddy?

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Exactly.......

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Anecdotally,

My oldest son? Meh, we have issues, he was raised in public schools, has issues, trying to adult.

Our youngest?

Air Force, on his own, college degree, no student debt. He was home-schooled.

As much as parenting plays a factor, MORE parenting, instead of leaving it to the schools, is probably the better way to go.

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

They leave the nest and make their own way in the world, with values instilled in them by their parent[s] and, secondarily, other responsible parties.

It's not perfect, but the family unit is a very important part of the moral fiber of a healthy society/country.

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Media bias fact check: Overall, we rate the Institute for Family Studies (IFS) right biased based on story selection that favors conservative causes and Mixed for factual reporting based on the endorsement of poor science. mediabiasfactcheck.com...

LOL

The founder of your “fact check”

Dave Van Zandt is a center-left Academic and Blogger and Globalist who is a citizen of , and has been associated with the following entities as either a significant contributor, participant, promoter, or beneficiary, according to our OSINT research:

brands: CFR, MBFC, New School

hucksters.net...

edit on 9-12-2023 by NorthOS because: Added context to quote

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 05:53 PM
link   
When people who act like children try to raise children it never turns out well.

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

Yes, and being friends with your children is not the most important function of a parent.
A good rapport is one thing, but I don't want my mother to be my good buddy, so much as I want and need a mother to guide and nurture me.

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 05:59 PM
link   

It baffles me how anyone can be so lazy as to rely on some random organization to "fact check" for them. Can't you see that they're just another layer of propaganda? Put in a little effort and do your own fact check if you want the truth.

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Anecdotally,

My oldest son? Meh, we have issues, he was raised in public schools, has issues, trying to adult.

Our youngest?

As much as parenting plays a factor, MORE parenting, instead of leaving it to the schools, is probably the better way to go.

Depends on the kid and what you want out of the kid. Plus, genetics.

I have 2 daughters -- they are complete opposites. One was diagnosed ADHD -- the other, I think, was undiagnosed high functioning Autism.

I would have lost my mind if I'd tried to homeschool either of them.

Past relation mostly had their own businesses -- because they couldn't work for other people.

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61

It baffles me how anyone can be so lazy as to rely on some random organization to "fact check" for them. Can't you see that they're just another layer of propaganda? Put in a little effort and do your own fact check if you want the truth.

Always investigate your source.

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
a reply to: underpass61

Yes, and being friends with your children is not the most important function of a parent.

Actually, I think it's very bad. I tell mine all the time "I am not your friend".

When you get out in the world as a young adult -- you will start out having authority figures above you.

They are not your friend either. Show respect.

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 06:17 PM
link   

T'is why I stated, Anecdotally.

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 06:20 PM
link   

T'is why I stated, Anecdotally.

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Later in life may parents were more my friend but when I was a kid they were my lord and masters

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: NorthOS

Later in life may parents were more my friend but when I was a kid they were my lord and masters

Some kids need that.

I think the National Guard (other) of each city, should have a military type of school that disruptive kids are sent to. That type of discipline can be a type of security some kids have never had.

However, I don't think I could have been Lord and Master over 2 daughter's -- one ADHD the other Autistic. I did teach integrity and work ethic.

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61

Always investigate your source.

Your citing media biasfactcheck, so clearly you don't.

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Anecdotally,

Our youngest?

We are homeschooling my grandkids. They stay here half the time. Its kind of a pain in the ass, but its worth the extra work in the long run.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join