It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Peak Oil 101 – Links and References

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I didn't see a thread on resources for studying the oil situation so I thought I'd start one by sharing a couple of my favorite resources.

Simmons & Company - An independent investment bank specializing in the energy industry. The head of the company, Matthew R Simmons is one of the worlds best authorities on oil, and has advised Pres. Bush on the US energy situation. His speeches are a must read.

WTRG Economics - A good place to keep up to date on current news in the energy field.

Energy Information Administration - Official energy statistics for the US government.

International Energy Association - Harder to find good information here, but there's a bit of good stuff to be found.

IAGS or Institute for the Analysis of Global Security Not updated lots but worth a look. They can't be that bad. They did an exclusive interview for us on ATSNN. Oddly enough this article didn't generate much discussion. O well, now we have an entire forum for this. Yeah!

[edit on 13-4-2005 by dbates]

Edit: Changed title

[edit on 5/3/2005 by Gools]

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Websites Dedicated to Peak Oil:

Die off: The grand-daddy of the peak oil websites. I don’t think it has been updated in a few years but there are hundreds of articles on that site spelling out the magnitude of the problem. It’s ugly and hard to navigate (needs a serious redesign) but the information is overwhelming.

Energy Bulletin: Probably the BEST website for daily news concerning energy and peak oil issues. They collect articles from all over the net and often have full articles from sites that require registration (so you don’t have to).

Life After the Oil Crash: A very good site explaining things on a very basic level and in plain English. Also has a collection of daily news.

ASPO: The Association for the Study of Peak Oil&Gas was started a few years ago by Dr. Collin Campbell. He and Matt Simmons (see dbates’ post above) have been the two leading gurus trying to wake us up to the problem for literally years now.

Other good sites to visit:

IAGS: Institute for the Analysis of Global Security for information on the geopolitics of oil.

Oil Crash: A New Zealand website about peak oil.

Dry Dipstick: another peak oil metadirectory.

Surviving Peak Oil: A site dedicated to what you can do to prepare. Also has a library and bibliography of good reference materials.

Websites with Mixed Content and Important Peak Oil Content:

From the Wilderness: Michael Ruppert has been following the peak oil story for years and has a large collection of articles including those written by Dale Allen Pfeiffer.

Financial Sense: The energy page of this site tracks daily news and market effects of the energy crunch. They have lots of very good information on economic news, energy markets and precious metals. (Their Storm Watch page was the inspiration for my Great Depression thread.)

The Daily Kos page on the peak oil issue.

Important Articles:

Eating Fossil Fuels: Just plain scary and should put to rest any notion that biofuels will save us.
Joy Ride to Global Collapse: Written in 1996!!
The Energy Racket: more information than you can handle.

I’ll be adding to this list as I find more.

I encourage all members to do the same and keep this as the authoritative reference thread on peak oil.

I've made it a "sticky" at the top of the forum page.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   
thanks for the sites! i got LOADS of info. i didnt check every single one, but i found everything i needed

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Maybe it is not so bad that I ride my bike to work...

Great LINKS!!! If anything I am getting a better understanding...

Thanks again

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jadette
In addition, look here:

geopubs.wr.usgs.gov...

geopubs.wr.usgs.gov...

www.opec.org...

I love that USGS PDF. It's a little bit outdated ( about 5 years old) but it's important to note that it says "The price of oil is quite likely to stay above $25 per barrel"

It's almost 3 times as much right now!

Some more sites to consider

www.theoildrum.com...

www.oilcast.com...

www.peakoil.com...

www.thewatt.com...

www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I'm surprised nobody mentioned this:

How Gas Prices Work
auto.howstuffworks.com...

"Crude oil - The biggest portion of the cost of gas -- about 45 percent -- goes to the crude-oil suppliers. This is determined by the world's oil-exporting nations, particularly the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC)"

This means that wherever oil is per barrel only makes up for less than half the cost you actually pay at the pump.

If you call a broker and request a quote on the ticker: .GAS you can see where it is before the added premium.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Just saw this thread. Great Info

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I decided to put together a little list of government websites that mention peak oil.

Enjoy

Are we running out of oil ? (PDF)
geopubs.wr.usgs.gov...

Global Oil: The Terminal Decline (PDF)
www.oregon.gov...

www.bpa.gov...
This page features a bunch of oil related links, but I will post them here too

* www.cge.uevora.pt...
* www.apolloalliance.org...
* www.oilcrisis.com...
* www.peakoil.net...
* www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net...
* www.feasta.org...
* www.feasta.org...
* www.eande.tv...
* www.portlandpeakoil.org...
* www.postcarbon.org...
* www.theoildrum.com...
* www.energyindependencenow.org...
* www.newenergymovement.org...
* www.oilendgame.org...
* www.globalpublicmedia.com...
* www.feasta.org...
* www.cge.uevora.pt...
* www.energybulletin.net...
* www.energycommission.org... -
* www.odac-info.org...
* www.cge.uevora.pt...
* www.state.hi.us...
* www.geologie.tu-clausthal.de...
* www.econbrowser.com...
* www.econbrowser.com...
* www.econbrowser.com...
* www.aspo-usa.com...
* www.fromthewilderness.com...
* www.culturechange.org...

Government Links Continued:

Oil Shale Activities
www.fe.doe.gov...

Peak Oil PRP Participation (not sure what this is?)
c2d2.eml.doe.gov...

Ask the Whitehouse answer about the future of oil
www.whitehouse.gov...

The future of oil through 2050 (PDF)
www-cta.ornl.gov...

Year of Peak Oil Production (Scenarios)
HTML Format of ppt

Another collection of general links, some about peak oil, others about alternatives
www.nj.gov...

China Energy Group: Policy & Analysis
china.lbl.gov...

A brief mention of peak oil (PDF)
www.nrc.gov...

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 06:28 PM
link   
A one hour interview with Richard Heinberg, author of Powerdown & James Howard Kunstler, author of The Long Emergency:

www.financialsense.com...

A must listen for anyone just getting familiar with Peak Oil issues.

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Heinberg is great at describing the problem, but does not want to hear about solutions that do not fit into his neo-Malthusian paradigm:

www.ahealedplanet.net...

Long ago, somebody began a thread regarding my work here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

which died a few times, but my latest response is here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Maybe some life will be breathed into the discussion.

Peak Oil does not have to mean six billion people disappearing off the planet due to energy scarcity, as Heinberg encourages.

Wade Frazier

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Even tho I think Peak Oil is a scam.

Here's a video on it. Mike Ruppert - Denial Stops Here

www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 06:35 PM
link   
SPAM REMOVED

[edit on 11/14/2007 by Djarums]

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
At my own peril I've spent the last 50 years, like most Americans, ignoring the debate over oil, as we just figured that with governments and mega-corporations involved, that there was no point. That we would just accept the knowledge about oil, spoon fed to us somewhere around the 4th grade. I appreciate you posting all these links on the definition of peak oil. I had been wondering where my basic knowledge came from, and had no idea that there was such a plethora of serious oil dogma out there. Nobody would then dare speak out against this concept of "Peak-Oil" with so many people, institutions, governments and think-tanks rallying on that side of the coin.

Until recently, I did not know there was another side to the coin of what is "Oil". Since about the 4th grade when I found out those cool dinosaurs I just learned about, had turned to oil and my dad was burning them in the family car, I thought something was wrong with that theory, but being a mere 4th grader, who was I to even question it.

So I was pleasantly surprised when I finally turned the coin over and found another defintion of Oil which made much more sense of the economics, politics and theory of Oil. But breaking away from the herd and speaking out is problematic at best.

One of the fundamental truths about mankind is that he only knows and understands what he is willing learn. Hence the herd mentality. It takes time and effort to learn anything and few are willing to put out either.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
thanks, thanks, thanks.... was lookin for this kind of info last night, got me some extra goodies there

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
The whole peak oil thing is a myth, peak atmosphere is another issue; but oil, we're afloat in the stuff despite constant lies to justify wars and high prices.

They keep telling us that no super-giant fields have been discovered since 1968, well here:

Post 1968 Super Giant Oil Field Discoveries

The real central issue in that article was that air is the commodity we need to worry about running out of, but I did document eight super giant oil field discoveries between 1996 and 2008.

Also, a significant number of those were found not in sedimentary deposits where oil of biological origin is found, but by drilling through granite or basalt basement rock to get at abiotic oil coming up from the mantle beneath.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   
thnx u guys u just added an "A" to my writing grade

[edit on 22-4-2008 by chupacabraboy]

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Films about Peak Oil (viewable online)

The website also has a lot of good films on related subjects.

- Tim

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
It is frustrating to now know that we have all the oil we could ever want, but it is being kept from us in order to serve the need for some kind of global war of control. We are less than pawns in that game, and I hate being used for no good reason. (at least none that I'm privy too)

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Hello ATS

i found a movie yesterday in 60 min on youtube.com. This is Congressman Roscoe Bartlett giving a lecture in Peak Oil for the US senate a few months back!! And i must say, he doesn't leave much room for misunderstandings. This must be the best movie i have ever see on this topic and you should get every word he says.

7 parts...
www.youtube.com...

I hope you all see it. Ands a little perspective about what is happening today with russia, us, georgia and so on...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join