It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Link Between Schizophrenia and Cat Ownership Proven

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Almost called this thread "Cat Sh*t Crazy", but this works too.

I remember saying, "Oh you're just haters, Family Guy", but they were actually right again. Kinda.

Cat owners twice as likely to go insane

T. gondii is a mostly harmless parasite that can be transmitted through undercooked meat or contaminated water.

A bite from an infected cat or the feces of an infected cat can also transmit T. gondii. It's estimated that around 40 million people in the US may be infected, usually without any symptoms. Meanwhile, researchers keep finding more strange effects that infections may have.

Once inside our bodies, T. gondii can infiltrate the central nervous system and influence neurotransmitters. The parasite has been linked to personality changes, the emergence of psychotic symptoms, and some neurological disorders, including schizophrenia.

I never wanted to think cats make you crazy. But that's a lot of people possibly infected by their feline friends.

Jeez, killjoy scientist ruining cats for everyone. And I'll have you know, my cat talks to me because I am telepathic!
edit on 9-12-2023 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 02:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Degradation33

Around 20% of coffee mugs found in office kitchens have poop on them.

That cat fact is interesting!

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Toxoplasmosis makes mice less fearful of cats - so they are easier to catch.

I've heard too many stories of people not liking cats until they are near one and then they become crazy about them.

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Better to be ruled by a cat parasite than the far left!! Lmao

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Explanation: Everyone is criminally 'insane' according to law ... here is why ...

The governments use the Diagnostics Statistics Manual for mental health to diagnose anybodies insanity!

That book doesnt have a chapter or verse on 'sanity' hence saneness doesnt exist!

Since saneness doesnt exist [and my psychiatrist and my mental health case manager agree] one can ONLY be criminally insane [default status] OR legally insane!

The governments love this and they use it to section people away [for 72hrs minimum in the mental asylum] and take their guns away!

To become legally insane one must take government approved mind bending drugs regularly and also see ones mental health team of professionals regularly [minimum 1 per every 3mnths].

Personal Disclosure: My mental health diagnosis is as follows ...

I am a violent [I BITE people]. paranoid [I dont trust, I test], schizophrenic [I hear disembodied voices and I hallucinate], with psychopathic tendencies [I like to be in charge or have a lot of power, thank you very much].

Here is an accurate simulation for what it is like to BE schizophrenic ...

I am currently medicated with Abilify Maintaina 400mg monthly medical intramuscular injection and I see my mental health team monthly and hence I AM legally insane!

I have also owned cats but I was diagnosed schizophrenic before I owned cats!

I find the article linked in the OP to be very interesting!

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 04:42 AM
link   
a reply to: OmegaLogos

Have you tryed vitamin B3 aka niacin or lithium orotate ?

Btw...i am criminally insane lol

edit on 9-12-2023 by Kenzo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Some of us have been keen to this all along.
Check my signature.
I do not like cats.
For some reason, they like me. I get up before sunrise and there are often three different cats out there on my back porch.

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 05:15 AM
link   
So, how many schizophrenics don't have cats again?

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 05:17 AM
link   
This is not new news.
This has been known for decades.
As someone infected with toxoplasmosis for decades and who lost our dear -leader- cat after 20 years and after a year of mourning (it's incredibly sad), we slowly come round to bring in a new little bundle of joy.
I tell you this well known fact about cats crops up every time someone who's never heard of it finds out about it.

Also did you know that sun screen causes drowning?
They found that almost eveyone who drowned at a beach or a pool had sunscreen on.

Science. Go sniff a cat, toxoplasmosis will sort out the rest.
Meow. 🐱

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I wonder how many people with kids have gone insane?

The statistic isn't surprising. It's also odd to add it with other stats like having cats around may increase lifespan and whatever else statistics claim.

That said, I firmly believe the Cheshire cat to have some root in (whatever) reality (you find yourself in). Medically, emotionally, physically, spiritually, you can't deny they're enigmatic creatures.

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Well, Deg, everyone knows cats rule

Cheers

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Doesn’t mention how to test for T. Gondii, how do we know if our crazy women have it?

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I'm schizophrenic and got a cat at a rescue shelter as a therapy animal for our household. She's done wonders and is the light of our life.
edit on 12/9/23 by GENERAL EYES because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 07:55 AM
link   
To be fair, it isn't cats that are bad, they are simply carriers of (from your source):

T. gondii is a mostly harmless parasite. that can be transmitted through undercooked meat or contaminated water.

Have there been any studies done on dogs, wild critters etc. also carrying the parasite? I can't imagine that dogs don't if cats do. Especially those living in more rural areas where dead animal parts and untreated waters and who knows what else are easily found.

Oh wait, a bit of research brings more facts to light:

Toxoplasmosis, caused by the protozoan Toxoplasma gondii, is an endemic parasitic zoonosis throughout the world. Subclinical and clinical infections with T. gondii including fatal cases have been described in dogs.1 These animals can be used as sentinels of environmental contamination with T. gondii and viable T. gondii has been isolated from tissues of subclinically infected dogs.2–4

Because of the preference of dogs to roll on smelly substances, like cat faeces, and of their coprophagous habits, dogs can carry or mechanically spread T. gondii oocysts

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...#:~:text=Toxoplasmosis%2C%20caused%20by%20the%20protozoan,have%20been%20described%20in%20dogs.[/e x]

So dogs can and do carry AND spread this parasite. Hmmmm, I guess the only thing to do is destroy all domesticated animals to save the human race from this horrible mental illness. It would probably be good to also avoid going outside and touching anything in order to avoid contact with this parasite.

I personally will not be giving up my cats or dogs anytime soon in order to avoid the dreaded Schizophrenia disease. I do know of a lot of women who have re-homed their cats when they discover they are pregnant.

Considering how much peace, joy and comfort these animals bring, I say keep the critters.

edit on th31202300000031bSat, 09 Dec 2023 07:56:53 -06002023000000x by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 08:22 AM
link   

I told that to a bunch of people when I found out two or three years ago.
What it tells is you is really 40 mill people don't wear gloves when handling their pet's poo.
That should be the headline so beware if shaking hands with a cat person.

On the other hand: it makes life more interesting and I wouldn't be surprised if this is actually also the reason why cats were important divine figures in many ancient cultures. Also maybe why we later in Europe associated them with the devil.
It makes you more prone to taking risks just like it does with mice.
And frankly together with the purring being just generally good for your well-being and it helps with healing if you got a broken bone...

In short we should return to make cats sacred and divine. It can only help in our world of Karen the Micromanager and Joe Helicopter to go a little crazy and accept risk as part of life... it just seems like the therapy many need.

You win some you lose some

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Some of us have been keen to this all along.
Check my signature.
I do not like cats.
For some reason, they like me. I get up before sunrise and there are often three different cats out there on my back porch.

I had a feeling you were the OP, or you'd pop in to share your 2 cents
I'm here to confirm on the record that butcherguy has been saying this as a matter of fact for like a decade+

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 09:14 AM
link   

I refuse to believe that this is legit.

And so do I.

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

split personality is a whole different kettle than schizophrenia. It might not even be real.
There are so many psychologists out there who seed stories in the people seeking help, like there are some that claim to 'investigate' the Satanic abuse meme that is big in Suisse apparently and around the world.
There is a German psychologist who 'fights' it but is really just exploiting vulnerable people to talk them up to more 'interesting' psychological issues than what the actually have, like pathological insecurity and inferiority or victim mind sets.

A lot of people when they get a diagnosis start 'acting accordingly' to the average described in whatever where they get their 'information' from.
That's funny, right?
Like psychology needs to create these boxes and labels to be taken seriously as 'science' which it just objectively is not and can't be, because even statisics fails in turning people into data.
But it creates categories and the people in need of often just encouragement or a break from every day, or whatever going through difficult times, a midlife crisis... end up terminally ill.
Great system. It's all going GREAT!!!
lol

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61

I refuse to believe that this is legit.

And so do I.

My neighbor took his cat to the vet, and was presented with a bill for $160. He gave them $80 and told them to get the remaining $80 from the other guy.

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 10:45 AM
link   
We have always had cats. Our current cat Carl is the Boss.

One of our cats, Jones, was 19 when down the end of the garden we saw a mouse literally jump into his mouth.

Paws for thought?

Three of ours just turned up as strays.

Muffitt came in and slept for three days. Must have walked miles- her paws were red raw. Bless, she lived to 20.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join