It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Portland Schools, Race and Gender Must Be Taken Into Account Before Disciplining

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2023 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

The juvenile homes/shelters can be worse than those of the adult sorts which is something to consider.

They exist for a reason through and are supposed to be of help as opposed to of hindrance.

Take away the safety nets and remove the warning labels and watch the fun really begin.
edit on 10-12-2023 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2023 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone
I've been hearing that those who choose to sleep rough is mainly due to safety issues, that being others in the shelter system are violent and abusive to others. But, of course, many factors could be in play.

I suppose it depends where you are and the systems in place. A few years back here, those with alcohol issues were refusing to go into the shelters because while they weren't allowed to take in alcohol heroin, as it always does, was getting in. If your dependent on alcohol, you are going to be more vulnerable when you don't have access to it. One guy I knew died after being involutarily injected but until the problem was resolved, a lot chose to sleep out for the winter and as a consequence there were more deaths than usual that year.

The key, as that article I posted relates, is the bed that you provide be warm and safe.

If they can't pinpoint genetic issues then discussing all immediate and pertinent involved family members' life, mental and medical issues IMO is the next best step in determining if a child may be inadvertently affected from other family members' treated or untreated mental illnesses or disorders. As you say, it may be as simple as providing a breakfast or a menstral pad or as complex as learning a bi-polar disorder runs in the family and that is something that should be monitored.

I don't know enough about bipolar to determine if it has a genetic basis or indeed if it would indicate that someone is a bad parent or if that would cause a child to under perform at school. Aren't you at risk of stigmatising children further if you start applying labels to them that they didn't ask for and removing their agency to determine their own sense of self/identity?

I don't think that the teachers should intervene unless there is reason to intervene. Training them to recognise those signs that indicate that there may be a problem should not lead to unnecessary intrusion.

It's a difficult road to travel for the school professionals and I am sure there are parents that pushback due to being into denial or lack coping skills. I don't really know if in-depth family consultations go into this territory with parents/guardians/grandparents etc. in their quest to help meet the unmet needs of a child.

I expect teachers have to deal with pushy or lax parents either way. State funding seldom allows for anything to be in-depth - 15 minutes per teacher is usually what you get if you're lucky at parent's evening.

posted on Dec, 10 2023 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: BrucellaOrchitis

Most public schools have special needs programs in place, so I would assume these children are identified early then monitored closely by the parents and school professionals for any improvements or new red alerts, not just leaving all information gathering to the two parents/teacher visits allotted.

posted on Dec, 10 2023 @ 11:16 AM
link   

My children's primary school caters to all kids.

But also has an entire department and wing dedicated to the needs of children with special needs.

And my Mrs sits on the parent-teacher council.

posted on Dec, 10 2023 @ 12:36 PM
link   

A child with identifiable special needs and accordingly registered with health services can expect schools in the UK to make any reasonable adjustments to ensure that that child has equal access to education.

That would apply to both state and privately funded school. Failure to make reasonable adjustments would be considered discriminatory under current UK legislation. If you haven't got a formal diagnosis, or a need that is outwardly identifiable or anyone to support you in gaining access to diagnostic services, then it's a little more touch and go.

posted on Dec, 10 2023 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrucellaOrchitis
a reply to: andy06shake

It was part of a negotiated pay deal.

As I understand it, it is about recognising that some children can end up being punished twice, once by teacher, then at home. This allows teachers to use their discretion where necessary. Not all pupils are equal.

Who cares about how or by who ? If you F up in school , you need appropriate punishment that is equal for all colors , genders & creeds .
It really is that simple. Im a classic liberal, but the progressive cakes have pushed too far
edit on 10-12-2023 by BehindYou because: word

posted on Dec, 11 2023 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Since when did this become about special needs etc?

I thought this thread was about punishing and disciplining children who misbehave differently in accordance to their race or gender?

posted on Dec, 11 2023 @ 04:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

I thought this thread was about punishing and disciplining children who misbehave differently in accordance to their race or gender?

EXACTLY. The thread got hijacked by a few people scratching each others backs.

If you are black, you don't have to get your homework done like the white kids do.
If you are trans, you can fail the tests and still get passed to the next grade.
That's not fair to the kids who do the work.
That's not fair to the kid who gets passing grades for not doing the work.
That's not fair to tax payers who will have to be supporting the kid when
he/she get out of high school and can't find a job because they don't know
anything about anything.

posted on Dec, 12 2023 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Another thing to consider.

Is that if teachers start treating kids differently.

Imagine what happens to the ones who they show favoritism once they are out in the playground environment.

"Lord of The Flies" material would be my bet.

edit on 12-12-2023 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2023 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

Sounds hypocritical to me.

posted on Dec, 12 2023 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Sounds hypocritical to me.

What parts sound that way?

posted on Dec, 12 2023 @ 01:22 PM
link   

So if you engage in vandalism, you won't get punished if you are black or trans, but you will be punished if you are straight and white. That's certainly what it looks like. What a woke mess Portland public schools are. I feel sorry for the people who have to go there. The folks running them have the woke mind virus and are screwing everything up.

Portland Schools, Race and Gender Must Be Taken Into Account Before Disciplining

Public schools in Portland now have to take students' gender identity and race into account before disciplining them as part of a new collective bargaining agreement that ended a month-long strike.

Portland Association of Teachers union called off industrial action after securing a 13.75 percent raise for educators over the next three years last week.

The agreement has made waves in the fine print, however, as it appears students will now have race and gender identity taken into account when it comes to punishing them.

I say let em have their rule... Then send all the straight, white boys and girls to a school for straight, white boys and girls. This way, the teachers don't have to worry about treating the white kids differently and the white kids don't have to worry about prejudiced teachers. The motto for the white school can be something along the lines of "We're here to build a better future, not repeat the past".
edit on 12-12-2023 by LSU2018 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2023 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: WingDingLuey
a reply to: Annee

In those days medical and psychological issues were attended by medical professionals (aka Doctors), not social workers or teachers. The same issues existed then as do now. Now it's just a matter of who leaks the private medical information, and who complains about it. 😀

And that has what to do with a classroom with considerations for each child?

Did you attend grade school in the 50s?

I’ve personally been through generations of school.

I’ve weighed academics against social/cultural over many years.

I support the need for social/cultural.

Sounds like you're wanting to go back to the 50's when favoritism was shown. Is that what you want or are you still all about equality?

posted on Dec, 12 2023 @ 01:40 PM
link   

If people are treated differently by society then change society by making it more equal and not more unequal.

I think that's pretty straight forward.

Please explain how you would do that then please - if it is so straight-forward?

In an unequal society, how would you level the playing field so that freedom and opportunities are accessible to all, no matter their postcode and no matter their economic status? How would that work in the cloud cuckoo land you live in?

Wall off the west coast and let everyone who shares your idea of utopia live there while the rest of America carries on with normal life.

posted on Dec, 12 2023 @ 01:45 PM
link   

a reply to: BrucellaOrchitis

Please explain how you would do that then please - if it is so straight-forward?

As for it being straight forward, I mean its obvious that giving someone preferential treatment for whatever reason only creates division and is discriminatory.
How on earth does treating someone different purely on their race, creed or gender help anyone?

The fact that you really had to explain that to someone is mind-blowing.

posted on Dec, 12 2023 @ 01:48 PM
link   

I don't know, I've never professed to have all the answers, I'm not that arrogant.

And this is why we employ professionals. These teachers are professionals, they have training and experience, hence why I defer to their judgement and understanding of what they need in order to do the job that is required of them as state education providers.

Please stop. Educators at that level are trained and experienced in teaching child level education. I would hardly call 95% of teachers these days "professional".

posted on Dec, 12 2023 @ 01:53 PM
link   

I think what is being missed by some people here is to get to that higher learning point the kids need to have their needs met all along the way for academic, emotional intelligence and mental health success. I'd sure prefer someone who has it all together to build my plane correctly with top notch education and a clear mind and sharp focus.

Exactly, children who fall through the cracks of educational systems struggle through out life and any gifts, talents or abilities they had are wasted. We all lose out.

And what a good systems engineer should know is that recognising diversity and incorporating multiple perspectives improves your capability to solve problems and innovate.

By the way you're wanting the system to work, that engineer who is building the airplane will have a weak engine that passed inspection, by an employee just there for a paycheck, on one side and a bicycle tire that identifies as a jet engine on the other side.

No thanks.

posted on Dec, 12 2023 @ 01:58 PM
link   

I think what is being missed by some people here is to get to that higher learning point the kids need to have their needs met all along the way for academic, emotional intelligence and mental health success. I'd sure prefer someone who has it all together to build my plane correctly with top notch education and a clear mind and sharp focus.

Exactly, children who fall through the cracks of educational systems struggle through out life and any gifts, talents or abilities they had are wasted. We all lose out.

And what a good systems engineer should know is that recognising diversity and incorporating multiple perspectives improves your capability to solve problems and innovate.

Exactly, it's taking the notion of 'no child left behind' and applying it to policies and procedures to ensure success of all children.

The same might apply to business success by incorporating multiple perspectives improves knowledge of demographics and targeting a wider customer base = profits.

No Child Left Behind is the reason we're in this mess to begin with. All that accomplished was dumbed down tests, kids getting passed when they shouldn't have, and kids graduating without making the grades. The result is a generation of dumbed down children. It's sad, and I can't believe you would use that as your example of what works.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join