It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What kind of hardware would run a million plus daily unique visitors website?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2023 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I was just seeing if I could fit it all in the he title, but yeah. Let's say someone has come onto a budget and they were tasked with getting their own hardware to handle website traffic for a host of websites for emerging industries. Companies making parts for renewable energy, hydrogen technology, block chain securities, quantum computing , robotics, ai etc.. etc ...

Basically assume there would be a website where one goes to that carries news, happenings, IPO's , human trials whatever involving these industries specifically. The companies in these industries may themselves also need some web hosting for their own digital outreach. Let's say I am the guy who has what they need, hypothetically.

Cloud services aren't really in the sky. They are just in warehouses, office buildings, and even people's homes. Computers somewhere else are what servers are in the most basic understanding I believe. So my question is, what kind of hardware handles one or maybe dozens of websites that could handle up to one million unique user per day kind of volume. Insofar as to how fast a website can respond to requests (your clicks), is that more related to the telecommunications company services available in the area, or the physical hardware or both?

Maybe like a vendor snack or beverage route, there are smaller web host services selling their market share from time to time??

I notice more then a handful of ATS folks have said they work in IT and may operate on systems like these daily. I imagine a small CVS or Walgreens size building with rows of servers. What kind of hardware runs this stuff, and are they sold publicly or require special licensing?? Cooling the building I will solve separately. I'm just curious if these hardware manufacturers have websites where they sell the kind of processors, cooling, and network equipment that can handle the kind of modest volumes I mentioned.

If I forgot something let me know. I can make calls to Colorado, Texas, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan any number of states and order things like waste compacting for municipal scale operations, wire stripping machines, industrial duty shredders that can chew cars up, cranes, and basically all kind of machinery and factory equipment I can find. Where do I find stuff if I want my own computers for not just my own website but to host any number of other websites.

Carnival folk make money from their rides. Maybe I want to host websites and make money like that. So just wondering what kind of hardware as digital stuff tends to upgrade very fast.

posted on Nov, 25 2023 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Crowd funding using idea's, love it!

posted on Nov, 25 2023 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

These guys could probably help you.

Link to older 2017 article

My guess, probably like a 10 rack server, plus wiring, cooling, data storage... maybe quarter million. Just a guess. Good luck!

posted on Nov, 25 2023 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I wouldn't know. But I do know many companies use Amazon Web Services (AWS). From what I understand they make much more money off of hosting websites and giving companies storage than from any other form of business they have.

posted on Nov, 26 2023 @ 12:08 AM
link   

What kind of hardware would run a million plus daily unique visitors website?

Certainly not as much as the former owners said it would cost, in case the question is related to ATS.

I had a company make me an offer... 12k for the software and also the costs for hardware and traffic would have been multiple times lower than the numbers that were posted by the owners or floating around here...
edit on 26.11.2023 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2023 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mahogani

These guys could probably help you.

Link to older 2017 article

My guess, probably like a 10 rack server, plus wiring, cooling, data storage... maybe quarter million. Just a guess. Good luck!

Next month I'm scrapping out three racks

A site like that, you could run it in two servers, maybe 50 grand. But that doesn't cover redundancy, backups, etc...
To build it to standard spec, I'd figure 150k.

But you'd need a place to host them, with cooling and redundant power, a proper connection... about a grand a month for a half rack

The problem is that to make it reliable the cost goes up very quickly, but to make more of it, the cost doesn't. This is why everyone is going to the cloud.
That same 150k setup could host ten more sites like that for only twice the price of hardware, offering the same reliability.

posted on Nov, 26 2023 @ 05:16 PM
link   
"Maybe I want to host websites and make money like that"

Its not hardware thats the issue. Google is already full of people wanting to make money hosting topics. Unless you pay for advertising, you end up lost in google pages, resulting in little if any traffic at all. So suggest you start of very small (one computer) to get a taste of what you trying to achieve.

posted on Jan, 12 2024 @ 11:59 AM
link   

It depends. A static site, you could get by with three small linux servers running apache. A simple load balancer/reverse proxy, and a primary and redundant apache box. You'd probably want as much RAM as you can realistically afford.

You start adding backend services and whatnot (database, application services), you need more servers and resources.

SQL wants RAM. And you've got to duplicate the server for redundancy... and you're going to want to add larger servers for your application services. Those small linux boxes ain't gonna cut it at this point.

That doesn't include all the network hardware you'd need. Routers, firewalls, switches... TONS of cable... Air conditioning...

The best way to do it is as follows.

Microsoft Azure offers the best free tier of all the cloud services. AWS and Google Cloud are pretty much equivalent with each other.

Sign up for Azure, get your application running on the free tier, setup autoscaling, then start looking into migrating to larger virtual instances.

When you start getting real big, THEN look at buying your own hardware.
edit on 12-1-2024 by ashisnotanidiot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2024 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ashisnotanidiot

Maybe they got something planned that will make that obsolete?

twitter.com...

m.youtube.com...

Makes you wonder why some companies took out certain insurance ,yet laid of 27.000 staff in the last year

new topics

top topics

join