It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hall & Oates singer Daryl Hall granted restraining order against bandmate John Oates

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2023 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Apparently Hall & Oates have a similar relationship to Simon & Garfunkel. I think too many egos everywhere. I saw an interview with Paul Simon where he talked about how Art wanted to do his acting career and kind of gave up on the music and that's part of where their rift came from.

www.foxnews.com...

The legal battle began on Thursday when Hall sued Oates in Nashville, Tennessee, according to the court docket. The lawsuit is sealed by court order, but is listed under the category of contract/debt. The temporary restraining order was granted Friday. 

The two men formed the pop-rock band Hall & Oates in the 1970s, and while they've never officially broken up, both Hall and Oates have carried on solo careers for years.

It's unclear what the two musicians are exactly fighting over, but Hall made the separation between him and Oates apparent in a previous interview.

"You think John Oates is my partner?… He’s my business partner," Hall said during an appearance on Bill Maher’s "Club Random" podcast in 2022. "He’s not my creative partner.

"John and I are brothers, but we are not creative brothers. We are business partners. We made records called ‘Hall & Oates’ together, but we’ve always been very separate, and that’s a really important thing for me."

Hall used the example of the band's song "Kiss on My List" to prove how separate the two were. While Oates is listed as a co-producer on the track, he is not listed as a songwriter.

"I did all those [harmonies]," Hall said. "That’s all me."

Since Daryl Hall's lawsuit has been sealed for now, I suppose we will just have to wait to find out why he's suing and why a restraining order against John is necessary.

posted on Nov, 23 2023 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Shoshanna

What a waste of legal fees.

Me- Universal, Sony Music Copyright Owner

posted on Nov, 23 2023 @ 08:26 AM
link   
By your late 70's is there really anything to spat over?
Oates comes off as defensive/strident about "I was the creative one!". Their music wasn't that good.
Tom Petty, Dylan's music was worth court fights. Hall & Oates not so much.

posted on Nov, 23 2023 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

I know! I suspect Hall is the big ego in this duo. The music is what I describe as fluffy music. Just....typical generic 70s pop sound. To me they were a good duo who made good music. Not great music.
edit on 23-11-2023 by Shoshanna because: can't spell

posted on Nov, 23 2023 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Back in the eighties it became very trendy among a certain type of popstar to indulge in what today we would call virtue signalling. The cause celebre was Apartheid South Africa. Previosly hard nosed investors suddenly developed chronic cases of altruism (not in anyway connected to the sudden catastrophic collapse of the gold price of course).

One Mr D Hall was very vocal on the musician's clarion call to the cause celebre namely boycott South Africa's Johannesburg Sun City Venue in support of the Anti Apartheid movement. This was both sad and laughable because his act was never invited to perform there as it was not considered a sufficient crowd puller.
edit on 23-11-2023 by TheWhat because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-11-2023 by TheWhat because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2023 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: TheWhat

Thats so funny. See, I love these little tidbits of semi lost history information that I as a person born in the late 80s have no idea about. I mean I knew about apartheid but that part about Daryl Hall is just too funny. Big ego indeed.

posted on Nov, 23 2023 @ 11:47 AM
link   
keep me posted

posted on Nov, 23 2023 @ 12:33 PM
link   
If memory serves Sun City at the time (the 1980's) was actually in the "independent" reserve of Bophuthatswana, which had no apartheid laws (the few that remained in SA at the time).

It wasn't recognized by Western leftist groups or states as an independent country, but things weren't quite clear to everyone at the time.

Suffice to say a lot of the "queer" pop fraternity played there (and there was also gambling and erotica) - stuff that would have been severely frowned upon in the apartheid Republic of South Africa.

Queen got heavily fined by the Music Union for playing Sun City, and it nearly destroyed their career.

posted on Nov, 23 2023 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shoshanna
a reply to: Caver78

I know! I suspect Hall is the big ego in this duo. The music is what I describe as fluffy music. Just....typical generic 70s pop sound. To me they were a good duo who made good music. Not great music.

Definitely fluffy side of pop-rock and contemporaneously not a fan, however they were successful as hell, and it's a business. Have no doubt they found their niche and milked it. Nothing wrong with that either, who knows it could have been at an agent's or manager's suggestion to begin with. Could be wrong but the true and pure rock and roll category was chock full of fantastic bands at the time. Lots of bands in the era were really good but only had modest success.
Still finding 70s bands I hardly knew anything about that had a damn good catalog of music and were extremely competent musicians.

Still, the 70s was about the singer/songwriter too, who knows perhaps Hall was more of a prolific songwriter than Oates

ontherecords.net...

Singer-Songwriters of the 70’s

Everyone knows the 1970’s were great years for singer-songwriters, but until I put together some playlists from that decade, I didn’t realize how large and impressive the group of artists actually is. The below names take us back to that golden time of singer-songwriters. For each one, there are a couple of their 70’s song titles for reference. You’ll probably remember most of these songs, and be reminded of more great songs by many of these artists. The singer-songwriters are in no particular order, with legendary ones found throughout.

James Taylor…Fire And Rain, Shower The People
Jackson Browne…Doctor My Eyes, Running On Empty
Bob Dylan…Tangled Up In Blue, If Not For You
Joni Mitchell…Big Yellow Taxi, Help Me
Billy Joel…Piano Man, Just The Way You Are
Neil Young…Heart Of Gold, Like A Hurricane
Cat Stevens…Wild World, Father And Son
Neil Diamond…I Am I Said, Song Sung Blue
John Denver…Rocky Mountain High, Take Me Home Country Roads
George Harrison…My Sweet Lord, Isn’t It A Pity
Paul Simon…Kodachrome, 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover
Elton John…Your Song, Rocket Man
Jim Croce…You Don’t Mess Around With Jim, Time In A Bottle
Kris Kristofferson…Me & Bobby McGee, Loving Her Was Easier
Carly Simon…You’re So Vain, Anticipation
Carole King…It’s Too Late, You’ve Got A Friend
John Lennon…Imagine, Instant Karma
Stephen Stills…Love The One You’re With, Change Partners
Dan Fogelberg…Longer, Leader Of The Band
Bill Withers…Lean On Me, Ain’t No Sunshine
Harry Nilsson…Coconut, I Guess The Lord Must Be In New York City
Stevie Wonder…Superstition, You Are The Sunshine Of My Life
Leon Russell…Tightrope, This Masquerade
John Sebastian…Welcome Back, Stories We Could Tell
J.D. Souther…You’re Only Lonely, Faithless Love
Harry Chapin…Taxi, Cats In The Cradle
Karla Bonoff…Someone To Lay Down Beside Me, Lose Again
Rod Stewart…Maggie May, You Wear It Well
Paul McCartney…Maybe I’m Amazed, Band On The Run
Don McLean…American Pie, Vincent
Dave Mason…We Just Disagree, Feelin’ Alright?
Gordon Lightfoot…Sundown, Wreck Of the Edmond Fitzgerald
Gerry Rafferty…Baker Street, Right Down The Line
Joan Baez…Diamonds & Rust, Winds Of The Old Days
Jimmy Buffett…Margaritaville, Come Monday
Van Morrison…Domino, Moondance
Jonathan Edwards…Sunshine (Go Away Today), It’s A Beautiful Day
J.J. Cale…Call Me The Breeze, Cocaine
Eric Clapton…Wonderful Tonight, Layla
John Fogerty…Who’ll Stop The Rain, Almost Saturday Night
Graham Nash…Chicago (We Can Change The World), Simple Man
John Prine…Angel From Montgomery, Hello In There
Randy Newman…Sail Away, Mama Told Me Not To Come

Three of the best singer-songwriters had their own backing bands.

Bob Seger…Night Moves, Turn The Page
Tom Petty…Breakdown, Refugee
Bruce Springsteen…Born To Run, Thunder Road

Besides Ceelo adds a little funk to Hall's fluff

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

are you a big Hall & Oates fan? Hehe

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

wow I had no idea he collaborated with Ceelo Green. How odd. Pretty cool though too. Not a big fan of either but neat to see artists of different genres together.

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shoshanna
a reply to: putnam6

wow I had no idea he collaborated with Ceelo Green. How odd. Pretty cool though too. Not a big fan of either but neat to see artists of different genres together.

Not really a collaboration, though. It was just a podcast

That's the thing with labels, people can get stuck behind them, especially in the entertainment field. Hell, the world in general is quick to throw labels on groups of people, races, regions LOL even websites. The world is more complex and has more nuances than that. One of the best things about ATS is I've found so much new music from different genres and influences.

Heard about the podcast before, but had always snubbed it because of fluff/pop rock but the guy has the musical chops. Ugh my teen age self would believe I'm listening to some of Hall's collaborations. Heres is another one with Tommy Shaw of Styx with Renegade which was a fairly rockish song back in the day, definitely one of my favorites

new topics

top topics

join