It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gaze Into the Heart of the Milky Way in This Latest JWST Image

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 01:07 PM
link   
James Webb Space Telescope took a look at Sagittarius C , a Star forming region about 300 light-years from our Galaxy's supermassive black hole , the image shows about 500,000 Stars , the area of the image is about 50 light-years wide , it's a mystery how so many Stars can form and survive in the densely packed area according to astronomers.
The image was taken with JWST's Near-Infrared Camera , I find the void lower centre right interesting.

Full Image

“There’s never been any infrared data on this region with the level of resolution and sensitivity we get with Webb, so we are seeing lots of features here for the first time,” said the observation team’s principal investigator Samuel Crowe, an undergraduate student at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville. “Webb reveals an incredible amount of detail, allowing us to study star formation in this sort of environment in a way that wasn’t possible previously.”

There is one previously unknown enormous protostar, found at the heart of this young cluster. It is over 30 times the mass of our Sun. The astronomers say that the cloud the protostars are emerging from is so dense that the light from stars behind it cannot reach the telescope, making it appear less crowded when in fact it is one of the most densely packed areas of the image. Smaller infrared-dark clouds dot the image, looking like holes in the starfield. That’s where future stars are forming.
www.universetoday.com...

edit on 22-11-2023 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I've a question mate .

I know this an amateur question but when NASA releases photos from the Space Station and what not why is that everything is black ? Shouldn't the sky be filled with stars as clear as day ?

Even on earth when you go to high elevations with zero light pollution you can literally see the' Milky-way Galaxies' arms .
edit on 22-11-2023 by asabuvsobelow because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: asabuvsobelow

I guess it's the camera but we do see stars from the ISS , we can see them in this short time-lapse video.

Our place in the Universe.

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: asabuvsobelow
I've a question mate .

I know this an amateur question but when NASA releases photos from the Space Station and what not why is that everything is black ? Shouldn't the sky be filled with stars as clear as day ?

Even on earth when you go to high elevations with zero light pollution you can literally see the' Milky-way Galaxies' arms .

Exposure. How long the aperture is open on old cameras, or on digital cameras how long the sensor is accepting an input. The amount of light coming from these stars is very small, the longer the sensor is exposed to it, the brighter the object is.

If a camera on the space station is taking an image of Earth, the Earth is well lit and it may only need an exposure of 1/250s or maybe up to a 1s or so. At this short exposure you will not be taking in much light from the background stars.

And if you expose for the stars, which may mean 30-60s exposure, the Earth will just be overexposed and show up pure white.

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mahogani

I've a question mate .

Exposure. How long the aperture is open on old cameras, or on digital cameras how long the sensor is accepting an input. The amount of light coming from these stars is very small, the longer the sensor is exposed to it, the brighter the object is.

If a camera on the space station is taking an image of Earth, the Earth is well lit and it may only need an exposure of 1/250s or maybe up to a 1s or so. At this short exposure you will not be taking in much light from the background stars.

And if you expose for the stars, which may mean 30-60s exposure, the Earth will just be overexposed and show up pure white.

Ahhh okay I see so sort of like ' Night Vision devices ' on a High illumination night vs a Low Illumination night .

So just let the Earth be overexposed I wanna see some Stars !

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

That is incredible, part of the reason I stay up in the great white north is on those clear nights I can see so much more in the sky than I ever could in the lower 48.

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: asabuvsobelow

Kind of... if you're talking about good digital processing binoculars or night vision goggles, but those don't have an aperture that opens and closes, they always take in light.

So they use a digital processor to process the image before you see it. The processor can adjust how bright or dim the image is.

ETA: That processor can also up the contrast, enhance, run algorithms on thermals, change colors in the image and other cool stuff.

edit on 22-11-2023 by Mahogani because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2023 @ 04:36 AM
link   

edit on 11/23/2023 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2023 @ 09:09 AM
link   

I love it. I may just print it out as a background for my fish tank.

posted on Nov, 23 2023 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Beautiful.
James Webb Space Telescope

posted on Nov, 23 2023 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Totally stunning great find and thanks for sharing it

posted on Nov, 23 2023 @ 09:50 AM
link   

I've a question mate .

I read somewhere, there is a lot of space dust that obscures

herscheltelescope.org.uk...

Astronomers used to consider dust as a nuisance because it absorbs the visible light from objects, keeping them hidden from our optical telescopes making the Universe appear very dark and hiding a lot of interesting things from us.

edit on 10.20.23 by Coelacanth55 because: add content

top topics

join