It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Karen... but not a KAREN

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2023 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I am white
I am a conservative
I am middle aged
I have blonde hair
I have blue eyes

I am not a racist, or a bigot.
I do not complain to management in restaurants or stores.
I have never attacked anyone, physically or verbally.
I am not a snoop or a gossip.
I do not spy on my neighbors.
I do not virtue signal.

I have been on ATS for many years, since 2004 and I like many others here lost access to my original username and password.
We are all well aware of the name Karen and how it has been degraded, maligned and used to describe a certain kind of person with a disreputable character.

I have tried to laugh over the last couple of years in regards to the unfairness of this name being used with such derogatory associations.
I mean after all whats in a name... but

I have been refused work because of my name.
I have been refused service because of my name.
I have been sneered at when I tell someone my name.

I have even heard my name being used in such a fashion in music, television movies and television shows.

In all the instances where a so called "Karen" has caused undo hardship to others, I have not come a single incident where their actual name is Karen
we have..
Amy
Lisa
Patty
Miya, and so on and so forth.

ATS has been a goto for me over the years, when things get too much and you need an outlet to take your mind off everyday life and its issues, it would be nice if we could retire the meme of karen and refer to the actual racists and bigots by their own given names and finally let the Karen's keep the honor and bestowment of our given names with pride.

From my Grandmother Karen who I am named after to my Grandaughter whos middle name is Karen,

Hold firm, stand fast, soldier on.

Thanks you always ATS, and for letting me write this rant.

posted on Nov, 6 2023 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: freshcedar

Somebody got lazy making up names.

After all, the name Wendy as a girl's first name was invented by J. M. Barrie for a story character in 1903.

People were more creative in the good old days.

posted on Nov, 6 2023 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Holy crap, you have been refused jobs and service because your name is Karen? WTF? That is beyond ridiculous! I totally agree that this whole karen meme thing has gotten out of control.

I have a dear Aunt named Karen (may she RIP). One of my best friends is named Karen. Two of the nicest people I've had the pleasure of being around. I just cringe when I see stuff on YouTube and all over social media with karen memes. You're spot on about none of those peeps actually being named Karen.

S&F

posted on Nov, 6 2023 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: ChiefD

Thanks for the kind words. I tried not let it bother me but when like you said you have family and friends named karen it hurts to have yourself villified for things you pride yourself on not being.

Yeah I had a guy hang up on me when I responded to a call for an interview, He just kept repeating "is your name really karen" and I said yes and he just hung up on me. lol.

haha, I also have a nephew named Kyle whos name was also a subject of nastyness for awhile.

sometimes when I would go out socially I started feeling uncomfortable introducing myself and always stating after that I was not a 'Karen", but then realized that I was just feeding the trolls so to speak.

Never again will I ever apologize for being Karen

posted on Nov, 6 2023 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: freshcedar

I have been refused work because of my name.
I have been refused service because of my name.
I have been sneered at when I tell someone my name.

Did you ask to speak to the manager?

sorry.

My aunt was named Karen.

Great lady.

posted on Nov, 6 2023 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Haha. Im more or less one of those if Im not happy with any service I just dont go back there, no point wasting energy arguing, hurts them more with loss of business.

Besides I tell all my friends and word of mouth still works wonders.

Thank you for saying that DB.

posted on Nov, 6 2023 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Chin up, ma'am.

posted on Nov, 6 2023 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Try not to take it personal. Just know most understand the difference between a joke, and "that person".
I suppose it's a little like racism. You are lumped with a whole group and disparaged over something you had no control over. I think that mentality is fading slowly away.

Be the best you, you can be, and everyone else can piss off.

posted on Nov, 6 2023 @ 07:08 PM
link   
When people denigrate others for things that are beyond their control it says more about them than the person they're trying to insult.

I've always been on the small side....plus I have (had) red hair.
Lots of leprechaun jokes and toothpick jokes. Lot's of 'you must have a really bad temper' jokes.
I have no problem understanding how people with weight problems feel, even if it is the reverse.

I learned to laugh along with them and top what ever they said with an even bigger self-directed insult; it takes the wind right out of their sales.

posted on Nov, 6 2023 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I do try not to take things personaly and most times just brush it off, funny I only know 2 other karens and they were really nice. It just feels better finally saying it and I thank ATS for letting me do that.

I always like watching Law and Order SVU and after they used it in an episode, that was my undoing. People on social media and on the street I can accept as just irksome noobs but when a major TV show did it, it seemed so petty and woke that I stopped watching it.

Thank you for your comments and and everyones responses have been so kind.

posted on Nov, 6 2023 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

Hi Nugget, my daughter also has red hair, well its kind of strawberry blonde, beautiful, like a sheet of copper.
Her daughter, my Grandaughter is also a coppertop with my middle name.

My daughter had some weight issues when she was a kid, had the red hair, wore glasses and was shy because she was bullied because of all three.

She is a kind, thoughtful and beautiful young women with more confidence than anyone I know now. We always rise to overcome and try not to sweat the small stuff.

Thank you for the lovely response

posted on Nov, 6 2023 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I somewhat identify with your situation. In my high school years there was a certain movie with Jimmy Stewart as the star which was about a large, human-sized white rabbit. I have the same first name as that rabbit and was fairly constantly reminded of it. Now a half of a century later, most people have no idea of the humility I felt at the time. --But I've not forgotten, and in my case, the hurtfulness was minor, and as I stated, lasting to some degree.

posted on Nov, 6 2023 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Well I know only one Karen and she is charming. She "hates people" haha and loves animals, I can understand that very well. She doesn't stick her nose into anyone's business.

The "Karen" phrase is very sexist. Most obnoxious people are not even women. It also singles out white and older women in particular. People who would say they are "against discrimination" don't seem to mind discriminating by using this term! On the plus side if it's being used in a mainstream TV show that probably means that this slang is starting to become outdated. If you remember being a hip young thing, you will recall that as soon as those old folks (adults) started using the term, it became very uncool!

posted on Nov, 6 2023 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: CosmicFocus

Hi Cosmic, I know the movie and the name. I watched it when I was a kid. Its actually a really good movie and heartwarming story.
Jimmy Stewart makes everything good!!

Sorry to hear you felt that way, I think when we are young, the sensitivity feels like tenfold and it hurts so much because our names are who we are. They represent us and what we stand for as an individual.

Nobody has the right to tarnish that.

I used to hate my middle name when I was a kid because it always sounded like an old lady name to me, but now that I am an old lady, it fits perfectly.

The irony there is my middle name is now a popular first name. go figure. lol

Thanks for sharing that

posted on Nov, 6 2023 @ 11:12 PM
link   

The stereotype associated with your name actually did you a favor when the guy hung up on you.

Saved you from a toxic work environment dominated by a petty mind.

posted on Nov, 7 2023 @ 01:05 AM
link   

It's an acronym...

K. now your rights
A. cuse everyone
R. equest a manager
E. scalate to authorities
N. eglect reason

Nice rant

posted on Nov, 7 2023 @ 02:18 AM
link   
This is the first meme I came across that started this Karen stuff. I don't mean to be offensive, just some history of where this thing started. If it has been going on longer than this, I don't know? First time I heard of it.

When looking into the names of who complains the most, David and Paul rank the highest. In terms of what the character of a Karen is, don't mess with them.
edit on 7-11-2023 by kwaka because: added last sentence.

posted on Nov, 7 2023 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Welcome. I notice everyone is being exceptionally nice to you, so I'll be the devils advocate.
A quite easy solution to your problem just change your name to Angela or better still Mary as hundreds of people worship Mary. But you wont will you, because the couple of things you missed of your list is your pride and intransigence. ie. "It's my name so why should I change it".

PS. can you make Peach Cobbler? And a Merry Christmas to you.

posted on Nov, 7 2023 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I'm sorry your going through this.
Why they just can't use the B word for ladies that act stupid.

Remember, "Sally" isn't have a great time of it either.
I'm guilty of that one, myself, and need to stop.

posted on Nov, 7 2023 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: kwaka

That actually seems plausible, time wise.

Around that time I was on hiatus from ATS. I didn't have any other means of keeping up with social media chatter.

When I came back to ATS, there was an inundation of Karen and Kevin talk. I was puzzled. Googled Karen and Kevin. Came up with a tandem figure skating team. Tried to find out if there was some scandal or other. Came up empty.

It's a name and shame thing. Only mis-named. Amounts to false witness. See and film someone do something, then claim Karen did it.

Why not say Jane Doe, or make up Jando. Or take "name and shame" concept and coin Shamey or something like that.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join