It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There's a name for this

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2023 @ 07:27 AM
link   
It's called extortion. DoorDash has come right out and said if you don't tip, you may get your food eventually or not at all. I guess it's up to the driver to decide what's enough money to get your food to you in a reasonable time and if they think it's not enough, you go to the bottom of the list.

www.foxbusiness.com...

Customers ordering from the popular online-delivery service DoorDash may want to think twice before skipping the tip.

The food delivery app announced that it's testing out a new pop-up warning for customers, prompting them to decide whether to proceed with an order that lacks a tip.
DoorDash emphasized that its drivers have the freedom to select which orders they wish to take and that they can even view whether a tip is included before taking on an order.

The company says because of this option for the dasher, if no tip is left, it’s possible that it might take more time for a driver to pick up the order.

posted on Nov, 2 2023 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

a fantastic reason to not use this process. It was great for the frightened folk during the scamdemic, but now that people are strong enough to leave the house, they can either go out, or pick it up on your own.

posted on Nov, 2 2023 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Hopefully it leads to less people eating garbage and less fat slobs.

I doubt it, but we can hope.

posted on Nov, 2 2023 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Seen pics of stacked undelivered orders, because of too small or no tip.

Ain't it just great to be an independent contractor.

They don't always deliver your food, often don't/wont even pick it up if there too little $$ or none mentioned.

One driver delivered 70 some items one of those ways...tip was $17...and they said " Not enough. Never again."
edit on 11231230America/ChicagoThu, 02 Nov 2023 08:30:12 -050030202300000012 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2023 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Interesting enough, I Doordashed last night around 9:30pm. Doordash assigned "Marco" as my driver.. The driver never went and picked up my order. I called the restaurant and it had been made and sitting for over an hour. The restaurant is only about 10-12 blocks away (I know I should have gone to get it myself). To be clear, the meal was around $18 and the tip I gave the drive was $10...

I did get a refund processed but it was like Doordash acted like someone was picking it up for me the whole time, assigned a driver, and even showed me that someone was driving around waiting to pick it up. Just another reason to fine-tune my cooking skills. I do half-decent with a Crockpot lol.

posted on Nov, 2 2023 @ 08:49 AM
link   

No it's not extortion. They're just reminding the users that drivers are not likely to take on an order that isn't profitable e.g. no tips.

I did DD on top of my regular job for about a year and heard many other drivers that live by the mantra "No tip, no trip."

It's true. You can deliver to very rich neighborhoods all day and night and never see a tip.

Honestly the whole thing is a scam. It scams the drivers and the app users at the same time.

I even started playing DoorDash bingo towards the end.

b) Driver living out of their car

i) Driver delivering with kids in the car

n) Driver is wearing one-piece footy pajamas

g) Driver reeks of ______

o) Driver driving like a twat

Honestly I'm all for letting DD die. It worked during covid but now it's just a magnet for crackheads to earn barely enough to get their next fix. It's just another way for entitled Karens to order for convenience and never tip a dime. It's a disgusting relationship.

Let it all die!

edit on 2-11-2023 by 2Narcoleptic2Buddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2023 @ 09:12 AM
link   

As I am, for lack of a better term, semi-retired, I’ll run out and do some Door Dash deliveries occasionally.

The absolute rock bottom that I will take is $1 per mile that I have to drive and sometimes I won’t even take that.

If you are a hustler, which I really am not, you could make quite a bit of money doing DD.

I did get a $60 tip a couple weeks ago though for driving 1.5 miles.

posted on Nov, 2 2023 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66

If you are a hustler, which I really am not, you could make quite a bit of money doing DD.

The algorithm likes to "spread the wealth around," so no, nobody is getting rich off this. It will keep drivers within a certain earning range before orders mysteriously dry up.

It also favors newer drivers.

posted on Nov, 2 2023 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: 2Narcoleptic2Buddha

originally posted by: RazorV66

The algorithm likes to "spread the wealth around," so no, nobody is getting rich off this. It will keep drivers within a certain earning range before orders mysteriously dry up.

It also favors newer drivers.

Yeah nobody is going to get rich doing it for sure.

That being said, I don’t think they care how much anyone is making, as long as the orders are getting delivered.

I have hit $200 in a day quite a few times, with 4 to 5 active hours and 6 to 7 hours total in my area.

I normally don’t stay out for that long, I might only go out for a couple hours anymore.
2 to 3 hours, I can usually get $80-$120.
edit on 2-11-2023 by RazorV66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2023 @ 09:39 AM
link   

If a customer does not tip the driver only makes $2.00 base pay. Nothing more. No one would pick up an order going 10 miles for $2.00.

You have to drive back 10 miles if the delivery is away from any other place you could get another order.

The driver is spending his gas, his time and putting wear and tear on his car for no money.

I say tip or go pick up your own food like I do!

Do you tip when you go out to eat? The waitress! She is there to make money. She makes $2.85 per hour!

Doordash drivers make zero per hour unless they have a delivery.

I used to be a chef. Never ever did anyone run into the kitchen and tip me. They only tip I had was that there stake is too raw!
edit on 2-11-2023 by JJproductions because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2023 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: JJproductions

If a custom does not tip the driver only makes $2.00 base pay. Nothing more. No one would pick up an order going 10 miles for $2.00.

You have to drive back 10 miles if the delivery is away from any other place you could get another order.

The driver is spending his gas, his time and putting wear and tear on his car for no money.

I say tip or go pick up your own food like I do!

I would not take a 10 mile run that paid less than $20, which is not usually going to pay that much unless it’s a grocery order.

The zone that I deliver in very rarely has anything that goes 10 miles, which would take it to another zone for any direction.

posted on Nov, 2 2023 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: RazorV66

Every zone is different. I happen to live in a super big zone near Detroit!

You are right! No one would take a $2.00 order ten miles! So there food can rot or they can tip $20 or pick up their own food!

I Doordash after I work 10 hour days for extra money. I have catering too so it helps!
edit on 2-11-2023 by JJproductions because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2023 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Wow, just ridiculous what Doordash is doing. There doesn’t seem to be an option to tip in cash. I prefer to tip in cash, because I feel it’s more likely the person you’re tipping will get it instead of management or it being divvied up between other workers. And it isn’t taxed that way. So I guess that option will go the way of the dinosaur.

Also, it starts with “no tip”. There probably be a slippery slope to whatever I tip, it’s “not good enough”. I tend to tip pretty generously, 20-30% on delivery orders. Will it get to the point where they want a 40% + tip? Not good. As it is, I can’t afford delivery. What I can get picking up or dining in at a fast food place winds up being more than twice as much when that same meal is delivered. After the fees, tip, whatever, what may have been $8 winds up being $20+.

Screw that. I’ll go to the drive through before I do that.

posted on Nov, 2 2023 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: 2Narcoleptic2Buddha

Here is a catering from this week. 3 per evening!

posted on Nov, 2 2023 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: JJproductions

Nice
Never seen a catering order before.

posted on Nov, 2 2023 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I don't understand why OP and anyone else is getting huffy-puffy about this.

Clearly I'm no fan of using DoorDash as a subscriber or a driver.

But they have made no policy changes, nothing has changed. It's simply a notification in the app reminding you that you get what you pay for (or don't pay for.)

The thing is, too many people take advantage of the no tip option because they're cheap and don't have to deal with anyone face-to-face.

So naturally drivers who are trying to make some money don't want to waste their time on non-tippers.

(And yes I'm aware there are bad drivers out there who are never satisfied with their tips and harass customers!)

If you order something with the intention to tip zero, do you really think you should be getting fast, 5-star service? Hell no, your order is just going to get rejected and tossed back in the pool by 20 other drivers. It's always worked this way.

Too many Karens calling in to complain no one wants to complete their delivery wah wah. Gee, I wonder why that is. DoorDash is just taking the diplomatic approach to remind you of how the world works.

So if DoorDash doesn't pay their drivers, and customers don't tip their drivers, what are you expecting of the drivers?

It's not extortion. It's not unfair or unethical. It's just a terrible business model and all parties are in the wrong here.

posted on Nov, 2 2023 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: RazorV66

Base pay $8.compared to $2.00. Usually do 3 after work. I have a startup company so anything helps!

posted on Nov, 2 2023 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: JJproductions

Just curious, how long have you been delivering with DD? How many lifetime orders have you completed? These are factored into the algorithm

I sincerely hope you make some money while it lasts. Gather ye rosebuds while ye may!

posted on Nov, 2 2023 @ 12:51 PM
link   

6 years! Only at night. I got very lucky and they gave me Large Order Program within a month. Here are my stats

posted on Nov, 2 2023 @ 12:55 PM
link   

I pm you!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join