It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millionaire Narcissists joyride to space

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2023 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Virgin Galactic sets date, announces crew for 5th commercial spaceflight

Virgin Galactic's next trip to the edge of space will include some familiar names.

The company announced on Wednesday (Oct. 18) that Galactic 06, its fifth commercial spaceflight, has a flight window that opens on Nov. 2, 2023. The flight will be Virgin Galactic's sixth spaceflight in as many months and will see its reusable space plane VSS Unity reach an altitude of about 54 miles (87 kilometers) above Earth, enough for its passengers to experience weightlessness and see the blackness of space.

Those passengers will include an unnamed private astronaut of Franco-Italian nationality; planetary scientist Alan Stern, the principal investigator of NASA's New Horizons Pluto mission, and Kellie Gerardi, a science communicator and bioastronautics researcher for the International Institute for Astronautical Sciences (IIAS). Both will be conducting research during the flight related to the effects of spaceflight on the human body, while Stern will also "conduct practice activities for an astronomical experiment" set for an upcoming NASA flight,

So we have people taking million dollar flights to nowhere while the rest of us are supposed to be in awe of Narcissists on expensive personal thrill rides. Meanwhile aren't these celebrity flights bad for the environment? Seriously, Like the Government is telling people they need to get rid of their gas ovens and petrol powered cars but this type of nonsense is okay?

On the flip-side commercial space flights and tourism will become a reality. Meanwhile the argument about spending money to do whats needed to help humanity has many fingers in the cookie jar. Corruption and money laundering galore.

For every dollar raised, a dime [ if that ] might make it to those in need. Is this that people just don't want to help out the good old Earth and her masses of people or is this just another a bait and switch on our future?

Just some thoughts

posted on Oct, 25 2023 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: MainFrameGamerz

I think that Matt Damon movie, "Elysium", is gonna end up being regarded as prophecy.

posted on Oct, 25 2023 @ 11:32 AM
link   

You do realize that this is the way things always have been. The rich had the first cars. The rich had the first production airplanes. The rich pay for things when they are very expensive. Later the price goes down as things are made cheaper and more afordable. But without the rich paying for the most expensive development, the rest never would have cars or air travel.

We are at the level of those that can afford it to use these trips as a status symbol. This is not travel. That comes later.

You do realize Columbus discovered the new world by convencing some rich people to pay the way to get them richer? Discovery, not so much.

I am curious about what experiments can be performed in this flight that have not already been done by NASA in the 60s? I mean the weightlessness only lasts minutes. Something of so little importance that they could not be bothered to ask those on the ISS to do it in their spare time? It could not be very elaborate at all.

posted on Oct, 25 2023 @ 01:34 PM
link   

To look at it another way, you are complaining about a very expensive rollercoaster. Yes, that is all it is.
It goes up, it falls down. Not able to get to orbit at all. Not even designed for that. Only a carnival ride.

You pay your money, you take your ride.

Roll up! Roll up! We can take you up past the karman line just long enough to say you did it. How much you ask? If you ask, then you can't afford it.

edit on 25-10-2023 by BeyondKnowledge3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2023 @ 01:39 PM
link   

I remember when the first millionaire space tourist went up and everyone was going ....quick everyone, dress up in ape suits when he comes back...

posted on Oct, 25 2023 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: BeyondKnowledge3

You do realize that this is the way things always have been. The rich had the first cars. The rich had the first production airplanes. The rich pay for things when they are very expensive. Later the price goes down as things are made cheaper and more afordable. But without the rich paying for the most expensive development, the rest never would have cars or air travel.

We are at the level of those that can afford it to use these trips as a status symbol. This is not travel. That comes later.

You do realize Columbus discovered the new world by convencing some rich people to pay the way to get them richer? Discovery, not so much.

I am curious about what experiments can be performed in this flight that have not already been done by NASA in the 60s? I mean the weightlessness only lasts minutes. Something of so little importance that they could not be bothered to ask those on the ISS to do it in their spare time? It could not be very elaborate at all.

Ah yes, the old "Trickle Down Economics", applied to technology.
What you fail to acknowledge is that that leaves the masses perpetually behind, while the disparity continues to grow.

posted on Oct, 25 2023 @ 01:53 PM
link   
One.

link   
Two.

link   
Five.

posted on Oct, 25 2023 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: MasseyHarris

There you go, off and running

posted on Oct, 25 2023 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: BidenOperator

originally posted by: BeyondKnowledge3

Ah yes, the old "Trickle Down Economics", applied to technology.
What you fail to acknowledge is that that leaves the masses perpetually behind, while the disparity continues to grow.

And the guy who invented fire sold knowledge of it to his neighbors that could afford it and the ones that could not have none.

There always has been a disparity. Sometimes financial, sometimes knowledge, sometimes ability. There is no way for everybody to be completely equil.

posted on Nov, 4 2023 @ 09:17 PM
link   

edit on -18000pmp1020230458 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2023 @ 05:26 AM
link   
I saw the launch of that while I was over at the VLA in NM. To me it didn’t look like it was even near the edge of space. More like 50,000 ft max.

Second, it wasn’t very long of a flight.

Third, the VLA massive dishes are all bunched up pointed straight at the sun, I’ve never seen them all together on the rails bunched up before. Like they are focusing on something. And why the sun?

posted on Nov, 5 2023 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Space and it's resources should be for all, not a wealthy few.

edit on 5112023 by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join