It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thought Experiment - Journey to the Center of the Earth

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2023 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Ok, I have this thought experiment that I'd like to run.
I want us to use the knowledge that we've been taught in the modern world that we live in. Basically, let's approach this experiment using the knowledge that we've all been taught to learn.

Ok first, imagine a tunnel that is built using technology to withstand the extreme heat of the earth's core. many miles thick in its casing, and designed to transmit zero heat into the tunnel. The tunnel itssef can also be many miles wide in diameter, and in short - this experiment relies on the premise that we have indeed constructed this tunnel that spans from one side of the earth to the other, land to land. Surface to surface.

To summarize, we have a tunnel that connects from one side of the earth to the other and goes directly through the center of the earth and then out the other side. And this tunnel is designed to be safe for humans - temperature and oxygen-wise, etc.

Ok?

The question is, what would happen if you jumped into the tunnel and fell towards the center of the earth? Would you keep falling and fall upwards and out into the other side of the earth? Or would you fall down and be slowed down when you reach the center, and instead of falling up and out you would be pulled back to the center, where you would be - what? Suspended in mid air at the center of the earth??

Or what?

edit on 22-10-2023 by GeorgeFawkingOrwell because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2023 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I would hope when they built the tunnel they would be advanced enough to put in place artificial gravity and a high speed transportation system. But that tunnel could easily be breached by terrorists because...ape/reptile/war brain.

posted on Oct, 22 2023 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: GeorgeFawkingOrwell

Well, you'd slow WAY down as you got close to the other side, so you'd definitely need a well designed mechanism to catch the person when they got there, otherwise they'd just fall back the other direction again.
Should I assume we're ignoring G forces and the person passing out and getting brain damage from that?
Well then another concern would be the person hitting the sides. That would need to be a very, very WIDE hole as well as deep,
because any contact with the wall is gonna be insta-death at those speeds.

edit on 22/10/2023 by BidenOperator because: clarification

posted on Oct, 22 2023 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Yeah, we could use an object instead. Doesn't need to be a living thing.

I have a hard time believing that the object would slow down and then be pulled back to the center of the earth. It just doesn't seem believable to me. I know that is what we have been taught. But, I don't know, seems unreal.

Maybe the globe model is the issue? IIDK

posted on Oct, 22 2023 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: BidenOperator

A roller coaster ride comes to mind with forces controlled just enough...enjoy the ride.

posted on Oct, 22 2023 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Good question.
We would need to know if terminal velocity speed would counter g force toward the center. Also once you get close to the center you are no longer just falling downward, but due to perspective also sideways at a certain point, so I would imagine you start sliding on the tunnel walls rather than a free fall.
edit on 22-10-2023 by TheLieWeLiveAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2023 @ 05:34 PM
link   

edit on 22-10-2023 by TheLieWeLiveAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2023 @ 05:38 PM
link   
What way does water spin down the drain at the center of the earth?

posted on Oct, 22 2023 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: kwaka
What way does water spin down the drain at the center of the earth?

Would there be a spin?

posted on Oct, 22 2023 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I'm not a scientologist, but I think you'd yo yo like a bungee jumper then settle back in the center.

posted on Oct, 22 2023 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone2

Would it not spin the same way the Earth is rotating?

posted on Oct, 22 2023 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLieWeLiveAgain

Would it not spin the same way the Earth is rotating?

I haven't a clue.

posted on Oct, 22 2023 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Would you keep falling and fall upwards and out into the other side of the earth?

No. Air resistance would prevent you from making it out.
Like a swing, put in motion, back and forth, with smaller distance each trip.

posted on Oct, 22 2023 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Also in the center every direction would be up and down simultaneously.
This is why I think we have a mini black hole at the center of the Earth and this experiment wouldn't be possible.

posted on Oct, 22 2023 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Did the site get messed up because of DB cowboy? Heard it was something to do with kids.

posted on Oct, 22 2023 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Was this that DB stuff with kids?

posted on Oct, 22 2023 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Malvo take your spamming to a troll thread.

posted on Oct, 22 2023 @ 07:28 PM
link   

I’m a hollow earth believer.

The gravity below earth, on the other side of the ground, I imagine like water inside a bucket swung really fast. If you swing the bucket of water over your head fast, the water will stick to the bottom of the bucket. It won’t fall on your head.

posted on Oct, 22 2023 @ 07:33 PM
link   

That video is totally ridiculous.

The radius of the Earth is 6378 kilometers and the atmosphere is 10,000 kilometers. That makes the pressure at the center of only the air to be 1.567 atmospheres. That is the same as 17 feet underwater. That is not a problem.

Gravity is zero at the center of a mass because all the pull of the mass is equal in all directions. The acceleration due to gravity would reduce the closer to the center making accelleration not be constant.

The air drag would limit you to less than 300 miles per hour. That is why you wait to when you are close to the ground to open your parashoot. The higher up you are, the thinner the air, so the faster you are falling.

Now knowing all this, you are not likely to get 1/4 of the distance you fell back up the other side before you fall back to the center again. You would go back and fourth a few times then just float there in zero gravity.

You would be very stuck in such a situation because there is no rope that can reach you. The weight of a rope long enough is many times higher than the breaking strength of any known material. This is even allowing for the reduced gravity as you get closer to the center. The first 1/4 distance would overload the rope. When I say rope, I mean any flexible line, steel, kevlar, dynema, tecknora, etc..

Next question, why make the hole?

edit on 22-10-2023 by BeyondKnowledge3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2023 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnMarsriver

I’m a hollow earth believer.

The gravity below earth, on the other side of the ground, I imagine like water inside a bucket swung really fast. If you swing the bucket of water over your head fast, the water will stick to the bottom of the bucket. It won’t fall on your head.

You are saying the inside of the Earth spins many times the speed of the outside? Please explain that in simple terms such as the inside of a tennis dall rotating dozens of times when outside turns once. The inside and outside being connected kind of makes that impossible.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join