It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just How Rino are the Rinos?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 09:16 PM
link   
So, what do we know.

McCarthy is out.
Some Republicans have tossed their hats in the ring to replace him.
Trump has said that he might be willing to take the seat on a short term basis.
The Republican Representatives appear to be in disarray. They took a break to let tempers simmer down.
The Democrats have nominated Hakeem Jefferies.

We also know that there are at most, 435 seats in the House.
We also know that there are 222 seats held by Republicans and 212 seats held by Democrats.
We also know that a simple majority of votes is necessary to elect a Speaker.
This would be 218

Am I right in these assumptions? Is this a sound description of where the House of Representatives stands at this point? Part of the party call the larger part of the party RINOs. Republicans in Name only. They are held in very low regard by the more dramatically conservative element of the party. Is it safe to assume that to at least some of these Rinos, the choices they have to vote for are more repugnant than what the Democrats have to offer. Is it safe to assume that the behavior of that small portion of their Republican associates in the House are more threatening to some of them then the Democrat nominee?

If the Democrats vote from every seat they have, they will have 212 votes, needing only 6, votes by the Rinos to swing control of the Speakership away from their own squabbling party.

So, will any of Republican in Names only vote for Jefferies? Will 6 vote against their own party, you know, the Republicans in name Only.
Another mathematical possibility is it would only take 11 Republicans to abstain from voting to swing the Speakership to Jefferies.

So, just how Republican in name only do we think those moderates are. Enough to do that? If so, who might they be.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

What you propose is certainly possible.

I have a question. How many would cheer should some R's vote for a D as speaker?

Then, will that cement that the RHINOS working with D's make up the uniparty?

As an aside, the pro censorship, pro war, pro government spending are being labeled as moderates...and I cannot stop smiling.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

'' How many would cheer should some R's vote for a D as speaker?

Plenty I'm sure.

''Then, will that cement that the RHINOS working with D's make up the uniparty?''

I"m not so sure. Very possibly enough have been so well indoctrinated into the two party system that should enough

Rinos manage to swing the vote, it would be seen as a grand vote of courage on their part by many liberals and likely not be seen that way by conservatives at all. To conservatives it would e traitorous.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 09:40 PM
link   

I"m not so sure. Very possibly enough have been so well indoctrinated into the two party system that should enough

Were this the position, Trump and Trump adjacent politicians wouldn't be held to the fire like they are. While running under the GOP banner, it's certainly clear that we are the closest to a 3rd party that exist in viability. As evidence by McConnells hamstringing and purseclutching during '22 and McCarthy's ousting.

Rinos manage to swing the vote, it would be seen as a grand vote of courage on their part by many liberals and likely not be seen that way by conservatives at all. To conservatives it would e traitorous.

Republicans either capitulating to or working with Democrats to give up their constituents hard fought wins would be courage?

That's strange to me...

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Yeah, that's exactly what the Democrats are hoping for. If they could use this disarray to snag just a few votes from those who are fed up with the circus, they could actually elect a speaker as a minority coalition.

I don't see it happening though, I would be very surprised, but weirder things have happened. I believe coming close to something like that would actually unite the Republicans to choose any leader, even if it's one they normally wouldn't pick, like Jim Jordan.

I like your observation that it is a minority of Republicans that are calling the majority RINOs. I always appreciate a good irony.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Not to you of course, but to others, sure. The courage to put their own political futures in jeopardy? To risk the tjeir friendships with others. Yeah, those Democrats would cheer them on for their courage.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Not all RINO's want to be commonly known as such. They like staying in the background as much as possible. Your scenario is not out of the realm of possibility, but I expect that Jordan or Scalise will likely cinch the vote this coming week.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

Not to you of course, but to others, sure. The courage to put their own political futures in jeopardy? To risk the tjeir friendships with others. Yeah, those Democrats would cheer them on for their courage.

So then it's not about constituents to the uniparty?

Is that what you are telling me?

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Mahogany

Nor do expect it, however, these are wild times, no?

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 10:26 PM
link   

See, I don't know as all those people running for office even know they are part of the doupoly, to them, they are still playing by the rules they were born into.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Perhaps.

The point I was trying to make is that the old center left and center right really want a 3rd party. Hell, I even would like to see one.

Yet with a viable 3rd party in Trump, separate from the uniparty, RHINOS, establishment, whatever one wishes to call that collective..

....it's cataclysmic division.

I just don't get it I suppose.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 10:35 PM
link   

RINO is used improperly most of the time I see it.

RINOs have a Republican label, but vote with Republicans less than 50% of the time.

There's not that many of those critters.

posted on Oct, 7 2023 @ 12:24 AM
link   

This may go against ATS rules but how about this new guy who has decided to announce as an independent. Cornell West. Now there is a leftist firebrand for ya. While we likely would disagree with his solutions, I"m sure that many of his observations on the two party corporate system would sound familiar to many here.

top topics

join