It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michelle Obama Earns Nearly 750K For One Hour Speech

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2023 @ 02:33 PM
link   
This turns my stomach. What does she know about 'diversity and inclusion'? Not $750,000 for one hours worth of yakking, IMHO. I don't see what the big draw for her is. Seriously. She's never accomplished great things on her own.

Michelle Obama Earns Nearly 750K For One Hour Speech

Former first lady Michelle Obama has reportedly walked away with nearly $750,000 after giving a one-hour speech on diversity and inclusion in Germany on Monday.

The 59-year-old former lawyer spoke to an estimated 5,000 attendees on how to “push past self-doubt while discussing the importance of inclusivity and diversity” at the annual Bits and Pretzels forum in Munich — a start-up event held on the sidelines of the annual Oktoberfest beer festival, according to the event website.

For her speech, Obama was paid 700,000 euros, which is roughly equivalent to $741,000, two unidentified sources close to the conference organizers told the Daily Mail.

Organizers told the outlet that the former first lady “topped the list” of people whom participants wanted to hear from “year after year.”

“They really pulled out all the stops to get her,” one person close to the team told the Daily Mail, adding: “It’s one of the highest fees that they have ever paid.”

In fact, the $741,000 figure is nearly double what her former colleague, Joe Biden, makes in one year as president — at $400,000.

posted on Sep, 26 2023 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

This turns my stomach. What does she know about 'diversity and inclusion'? Not $750,000 for one hours worth of yakking, IMHO. I don't see what the big draw for her is. Seriously. She's never accomplished great things on her own.

I never get why people get their panties in a bunch over stuff like this. Don't like her, don't book her for a talk.
Obviously somone sees value in what she is talking about. What does she know about diversity, well she was the first
black First Lady, so there's that, and i'm sure there's a lot of experiences with that not just as the presidents wife, but being a person of color.

P.S. before you go there, I personally don't like her.

edit on 26-9-2023 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2023 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Not bad for someone that hates the country...

Seriously though... I wouldn't turn down that check if it's offered... can't blame her for that.

posted on Sep, 26 2023 @ 02:43 PM
link   
This just reminds me of a bit Bill Burr had on first ladies.
It was basically, "Shut up, nobody cares! What are you famous for anyway? What are you actually good at? Banging a president? Identifying which d^cks look presidential?"

posted on Sep, 26 2023 @ 02:45 PM
link   

It’s disgusting people who were in “public service” can turn such a sum on something so trivial.

Equally as disgusting places will pay it, though I’m sure it’s more of an investment than a cost.

posted on Sep, 26 2023 @ 02:48 PM
link   
It's called payoffs, my dude
Million dollar book deals, art, speeches etc...
Influence salesman.

posted on Sep, 26 2023 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

It’s disgusting people who were in “public service” can turn such a sum on something so trivial.

Equally as disgusting places will pay it, though I’m sure it’s more of an investment than a cost.

Ever notice how presidents and first ladies go into office looking all positive and fresh faced and come out of it looking
20 years older and sad? Maybe this is their payment.

posted on Sep, 26 2023 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Ever notice how presidents and first ladies go into office looking all positive and fresh faced and come out of it looking
20 years older and sad? Maybe this is their payment.

Eh, they didn’t get drafted. They know the job. The problem with stuff like this is pay for play.

“Yea, I’ll speak at your event for 750,000 dollars, and here’s the phone number for Ted, he knows you’re going to call”

It’s supposed to be public service, not personal enrichment.

posted on Sep, 26 2023 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Who?
I'd forgotten all about her........

posted on Sep, 26 2023 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
It's called payoffs, my dude
Million dollar book deals, art, speeches etc...
Influence salesman.

This 100%
Money laundering all the way. Gotta spread those Ukrainian kickbacks around somehow.

posted on Sep, 26 2023 @ 03:38 PM
link   

They all do it..

www.wsj.com...#:~:text=Post%2Dpresidency%2C%20Trump%20earne d%20between,News%20host%20Bill%20O%27Reilly.

Post-presidency, Trump earned between $150,000 and $2.5 million apiece across 15 speaking engagements, including his American Freedom Tour in Florida and Texas, as well as events with former Fox News host Bill O'Reilly.

posted on Sep, 27 2023 @ 04:15 AM
link   

They all do it..

It makes me sick. She made all that in one hour and for what??
She has never been anyone except First Lady.
Not exactly a rip roaring accomplishment on her own.

posted on Sep, 27 2023 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I never get why people get their panties in a bunch over stuff like this.

Cause you're naive about this. This is the parade example how money laundry and pay for play works. It's not so much about how much anyone get's for speaking on such an event. The question is why so much? Why would someone pay 3/4th of a million dollar to have her show up for an hour?

Is it cultish behavior? She isn't god and didn't achieve a lot on her own. Nothing she did would have been possible if Obama wasn't President, that's where all her momentum comes from. And her being the first black First Lady should not play any role in the payment at all. So when you're trying to explain it away by her capitalizing on this, it makes it even more questionable.

But it's a free market so there is nothing to complain about legally. The optics of it all are not in favor of those people, though.

edit on 27.9.2023 by TDDAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2023 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: TDDAgain

Cause you're naive about this. This is the parade example how money laundry and pay for play works. It's not so much about how much anyone get's for speaking on such an event. The question is why so much? Why would someone pay 3/4th of a million dollar to have her show up for an hour? Is it cultish behavior? She isn't god and didn't achieve a lot on her own. Nothing she did would have been possible if Obama wasn't President, that's where all her momentum comes from. And her being the first black First Lady should not play any role in the payment at all. So when you're trying to explain it away by her capitalizing on this, it makes it even more questionable. But it's a free market so there is nothing to complain about legally. The optics of it all are not in favor of those people, though.

Almost all president, and very powerful or super wealthy mean, will give a lot of credit to their wives. Here is what Obama said about Michelle

Obviously I couldn't have done anything that I've done without Michelle. Not only has she been a great first lady, she is just my rock. I count on her in so many ways every single day."

I know what pay for play is, and if people have a problem with that, they should have a problem ALL around, not just with ONE person. AGAIN it’s not JUST Michelle. I don’t like either one of them but I’d pick a speech by Michelle over Melania if I had to.

nymag.com...

In late 2021, the former First Lady was paid $155,000 by a Trump-aligned super PAC. It’s uncommon for a spouse to be paid directly by a potential candidate’s campaign or super-PAC, and initial federal reports did not make it clear that the money went to Melania. New York Times reporters only figured this out from a filing Trump made on Thursday: The money was listed as pay for a “speaking engagement” by Ms. Trump in the new filing, a personal financial disclosure by Mr. Trump. The $155,000 payment was made in December 2021 by Make America

Notice when I mention someone else, it’s crickets?
YOU guys aren’t outraged at it. You just don’t like her and that she can make money by just who she is. Well guess what. The world isn’t fair.
Bezos made 100 MIllion a day last year. I bet he didn’t even have to open his lips. Bill gates make more a second than most American make in a week. WHERE is the outrage?????

edit on 27-9-2023 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2023 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

They all do it..

It makes me sick. She made all that in one hour and for what??
She has never been anyone except First Lady.
Not exactly a rip roaring accomplishment on her own.

I agree 100%.
If this was Jacqueline Kennedy with class and elegance, and worldwide appeal, I could understand it.
Jacqueline did her best to upgrade the White House and bring a new level of class to our country.
Which is what should be expected.

posted on Sep, 27 2023 @ 10:41 AM
link   

She's never accomplished great things on her own.

You obviously don’t know much about her.
She’s a lawyer, she was associate dean of students, Vice President of community affairs, and worked a lot of nonprofits.
Graduate of Princeton AND Harvard!!
ALLLLLLLL BEFORE becoming the First Lady.

Her speeches have won acclaim and praises and is seen as one of the most admired women in America.

I don’t know about you, but I’d say that’s A lot on her own.
It is OK not to like someone, I don’t like her myself, but I’m not going to make up things or put someone down because I don’t agree with it. She is a VERY smart well spoken woman, and to put her down only shows ones shortcoming and ignorance not hers.

posted on Sep, 27 2023 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

No I literally can not notice, because you just brought the post up in your answer. Also I am not a guy and you could not be more wrong.

I was merely stating the truth, I do not have ANY feelings good or negative towards her, I do not know her. Same as for Trump, who I think is a childish (but smart) idiot yet it is not possible to be like that, because of people like you that naively see the world only on black and white and being histrionic about trivial things. Yes histrionic.

One can not say something against someone without being declared an enemy and one can not say something positive without being declared a 100% supporter.

Bezos made 100 MIllion a day last year. I bet he didn’t even have to open his lips. Bill gates make more a second than most American make in a week. WHERE is the outrage?????

Well obviously it is you that is outraged and lost your posture, so go see a mirror or a therapist.

posted on Sep, 27 2023 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Well obviously it is you that is outraged and lost your posture, so go see a mirror or a therapist.

First off I assume you are not a native English speaker. The term “you guys” can be used for men and women interchangeably.

My outrage is that people are falling for divide and conquer so easily.
Getting mad over a politician or their wives giving a speech is fine if that is what it is, but this is just hating on Michelle under the guise of her getting paid as a former First Lady. Not a peep about Melania giving a speech, and getting paid for it.

posted on Sep, 27 2023 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Yes I suppose you know I am not native English speaker, I kind of expect it both from my way of expression and former talks as well.

My outrage is that people are falling for divide and conquer so easily.

But you just fell for it yourself, go figure. You are the one that tags people in one of the two categories you see. You just did it yourself what you complain about. By trying to throw me into a basket like you did "YOU GUYS", you not only show your immature worldview but you are also being a hypocrite.

Division is fueled by people like you that can not see beyond their displate. I was not getting mad, I was merely stating facts. There is a difference. And please do point out where I "hated" on her. I think it is you that is too much emotional connected to her, since you use her first name. Did she offer that to you or did you just use it because you feel so close?

And again, it is not about her being paid to speak, it is about WHY people would pay so much. There is no logic reason other than money laundry, secret favors or just flat out adoring and being totally sold (pun intended) to whatever character it is about. If this thread was about Melania, I would say the exact same.

You are the one outraged, not me. I stated the facts, you got triggered by it very heavy, made assumptions and proved to be a hypocrite. Go reflect a bit about it instead of talking yourself deeper into it, is my advice.

posted on Sep, 27 2023 @ 01:18 PM
link   

And again, it is not about her being paid to speak, it is about WHY people would pay so much. There is no logic reason other than money laundry, secret favors or just flat out adoring and being totally sold (pun intended) to whatever character it is about. If this thread was about Melania, I would say the exact same.

I think most people are out of touch with what things costs. I did some event planning, and it’s massive massive amount so of money. Not just political people either, celebrities, authors, doctors, etc…

leadingmotivationalspeakers.com...

$500,000-$1,000,000 – This range is reserved for the larger than life figures in business and entertainment. That includes celebrities such as:
Bill Gates
Amy Poehler
Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson
George Clooney
Jennifer Aniston
Jerry Seinfeld
Lebron James
Leonardo DiCaprio
Oprah Winfrey
Will Smith

Back to your question, WHY? Because people want to hear her speak, maybe not you or I, but enough people that she can demand that amount.
I’d be willing to bet that it would be a full house if they were selling tickets too.

edit on 27-9-2023 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join