It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Over 5,500 exoplanets have been discovered since 1992

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2023 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Zestefield

But does anyone remember the times where people had strong doubts about the existence of planets outside our solar system and even though we lived in modern times.

Maybe. I think that Mormons belief that only men get planets of their own after they die. But my Pentecostal Christian family thought that if you're a good Christian, after you die, you get your own planet, regardless of your earthy sex. So, I used to think about the planets by my ancestors were in charge of already, and how I might rule mine!

edit on 22-9-2023 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2023 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

But does anyone remember the times where people had strong doubts about the existence of planets outside our solar system and even though we lived in modern times.

Maybe. I think that Mormons belief that only men get planets of their own after they die. But my Pentecostal Christian family thought that if you're a good Christian, after you die, you get your own planet, regardless of your earthy sex. So, I used to think about the planets by my ancestors were in charge of already, and how I might rule mine!

So far there are 5,500 known exoplanets to choose from, enjoy.

posted on Sep, 22 2023 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

Well the reason for every child gets acknowledgement is seeded in child psychology whereby each child is encouraged not discouraged.

That's nice, don't see what it has to do with the fact that schools, primary schools in particular, seem to be doing away with healthy competition, and have been doing so for the past few decades by my guess.

I'm not suggesting our respective societies should not strive towards a modicum of equality for all but not at the expense of competition and sport.

As for university, the variations of student achievement awards are numerous and have to be earned.

Predominantly children don't attend university through quintessentone, that's young adults.

And if the damage has already been done, where they all think they are special, is it any wonder our respective societies find themself in this predicament?

People are not special, and thinking so breeds misplaced entitlement by my guess, especially so when you start them off with delusions of grandeur at a young age.

posted on Sep, 22 2023 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

What do you need to do to get your own pocket universe?

posted on Sep, 22 2023 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Start a new religion?

posted on Sep, 22 2023 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Encouragement philosophy has achievement rewards built into it for different reasons, and I was comparing encouragement with young children to actual achievement awards with meaning (CV highlights) for uni students, sorry I did not make that clearer, but I thought I didn't have to.

posted on Sep, 22 2023 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Philosophy aside.

There is a difference between merely encouraging children, and treating them like they are all special.

Telling them all the sun shines out their arses in a equal and even manner is simply a lie.

By my guess when achievement awards take away the likes of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.

And supplant them with congratulations certificates and medals for all.

It somewhat diminishes the winning experience, and the entire spirit of competition in the first place, which is my point, and what the likes of primary schools in our respective nations apper to be doing.

School over here equates to primary and secondary education, predominantly we don't refer to attending university as school.

Sorry i did not make that clearer.

edit on 22-9-2023 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2023 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Attending any institution for learning is being schooled .

Anyway, it's the way of the future so psychology not aside.

posted on Sep, 22 2023 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

LoL

Pfffft if its that easy.

I wonder how its working out for the likes of L. Ron Hubbard or Joseph Smith for that matter?

I suppose starting a new religion would not be the difficult part or even a novel or unprecedented notion.

The hard part would be gaining the followers i suppose.

Guess the likes of social media help with regard to the hard part in this day of age all the same.

posted on Sep, 22 2023 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Attending any institution for learning is being schooled.

Then being taught to do anything by another equates to being schooled.

That doesn't change the fact that the majority of people here in the UK don't refer to attending University as going to school.

Anyway, it's the way of the future so psychology not aside.

Buddy the way we are heading there might not even be schools for everyone in the future should we keep up our antics.

The social divide is only getting wider, and that applies to education, primary, secondary, and tertiary, as much as it does most other things in this day of age.

And take for instance the different opinions where the likes of psychology in the 50/60s are concerned compared to today.

Things change even psychology and our understanding of what constitutes such, apparently that's progress.

As to the way of the future, again things change and so do ideologies and people, its in the post you see.

None of which changes the fact that people are not special, or even equal for the most part if we are honest.

Again that doesn't mean we should not strive toward a modicum of equality for all.

Take away competition though, make everyone feel like they are special, and here comes stagnation in spades, which in the manner in which a lot of civilisations fall.
edit on 22-9-2023 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2023 @ 11:26 AM
link   

I was a kid in the 70s with an interest in space , other Solar Systems with Planets were theorised but as we hadn't discovered one we didn't know if they were actually there , I don't think many believed they didn't exist though , for those with an interest in Space back then we had a Spaceship of the Imagination piloted by Carl Sagan to show us what could be out there according to the science of the day , in this modern day we have technology that shows us what's out there in great detail with no imagination needed , how lucky we are.

We knew so little but Sagan taught us so much.

Thank you Dr Sagan.

posted on Sep, 23 2023 @ 02:43 AM
link   

So 5,502 exoplanets have been discovered since 1992 when the first exoplanets were confirmed. But does anyone remember the times where people had strong doubts about the existence of planets outside our solar system and even though we lived in modern times.

I'm old enough to remember
I've always had an interest in astronomy since I was a kid; I'd read astronomy books I signed out of the public library in elementary school, often more than once. We didn't even have any pictures of Pluto then, other than as a tiny speck of light. We didn't even know for sure how big it was until we found its biggest moon Charon. I remember going to a local science museum exhibit for the Voyager 2 Neptune flyby and seeing Neptune for the first time. People were pretty sure planets were around many/most other stars, but nobody could prove it. Oddly, I don't recall the discovery of the first exoplanet that early (but Google says 1992 is correct) as I thought I remember being in teens at the time. (Mandela effect? hehe)

posted on Sep, 23 2023 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I remember "Tomorrow's World" from the 80s.

Loved that show, and it touched on some rather interesting topics, space and the exploration of such, being just one of them.
edit on 23-9-2023 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2023 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone
Most of the other new six exoplanets are M-class: "Red dwarfs account for the bulk of the Milky Way galaxy’s stellar population, but since they are very faint, no red dwarf stars are visible without optical aid. Typically, red dwarf stars that are more massive than 0.35 solar masses are fully convective, which means that the process of converting hydrogen into helium occurs throughout the star, and not only in the core, as is the case with more massive stars.
www.astronomytrek.com...

This is actually not true, or at least, if its being quoted by someone its a misquote or a misunderstanding. maybe the author of the article isn't a physicist?

Stars that are fully convective do not fuse material throughout the star... fusion is still limited to a small region at the very core of the star. BUT material is actively refreshed by convection.

Which is why when a larger star that might have convective regions but not reaching down to the core can basically run its hydrogen dry and then undergo a partial collapse and heating... it being then hot enough can start helium burning for example.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join