It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Libya Floods - 20,000 Dead. Hidden Attack To Send A Message?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2023 @ 09:51 AM
link   
The deadly flood in Derna happened on September 11 (local time). Now the WSJ published an article with the headline:
Russia Seeks to Expand Naval Presence in the Mediterranean (paywall)

ZeroHedge in turn published an article based on the WSJ article from which I will be quoting.

Russia Eyes Expanding To 2nd Naval Port In Mediterranean

"Senior Russian officials, including Deputy Defense Minister Yunus-Bek Yevkurov, met with Libyan warlord Khalifa Haftar in recent weeks to discuss long-term docking rights in areas he controls in the war-torn country’s east, according to Libyan officials and advisers,"

"The Russians have requested access to the ports of either Benghazi or Tobruk, the Libyan officials and advisers said, both of which are located less than 400 miles from Greece and Italy."

Flood devastated Derna is located between Benghazi and Tobruk.

The sub header of the WSJ article:

U.S. officials expected to visit Libya to lobby against Russian presence

Interesting coincidence. But wait there's more:

Guidry Group of US to Design and Build $1.5B Port Project in Libya

The Susah Secure Port, conceived as a multi-use port, will be: the deepest water port in Libya

Susah is only 40 miles (72 km) away from Derna, 123 miles (233 km) from Benghazi and 130 miles (245 km) from Tobruk!

largest port infrastructure investment by a US company in Libya’s history.

commencement of  full construction of the Port by the first quarter of 2023.

So, who is this Guidry Group that is building the new port in Susah?

The Guidry Group is a global leader for kidnap and ransom resolution, security services, and crisis response/management 

our services have been trusted by commercial and government​ clients such as: Hilton, U.S. Secret Service, U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), SAIC, Gartner, BCU Risk Advisors, and ExxonMobile.
link

And if that doesn't already strike you as strange the accompanying picture for crisis/disaster response shows flooded houses in a village or town.

posted on Sep, 16 2023 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: MindBodySpiritComplex

the flood wasn't a hidden attack, if was caused by a tropicial storm Daniel and damns that had cracks in them long before this storm.

A research paper published in November 2022 by Omar al-Mukhtar University hydrologist Abdelwanees A. R Ashoor warned that the dams holding back the seasonal waterway – known as a wadi – needed urgent attention, citing a number of floods that had repeatedly struck the river basin since WWII.
Libya’s deadly dam collapse was decades in the making

from the aricle above,

But Derna Deputy Mayor Ahmed Madroud told Al Jazeera on Tuesday that the dams had not been properly cared for in more than two decades. “The dams have not been maintained since 2002, and they are not big,” he said. “When the river overflowed its banks, then it just took all the buildings with it, and the families that were in it.” Stephens, from the University of Reading, said that closer monitoring of the dams could have proved vital.

not everything is a power grab/take over. matter of fact,99.5% are just what the appeared to be.

posted on Sep, 16 2023 @ 10:15 AM
link   
This also seems to confirm a pattern already seen in the 2011 Fukushima earthquake/tsunami/nuclear power plant disaster among others.

occurred after a change in the Japanese government, and proposals from Japan to have its Emperor visit Beijing to smooth out relations with China, and after the same Japanese government stepped up pressure on the US to close its base in Okinawa. Then Secretary of Defense Robert Gates then issued what can only be termed a threat to that government that if it persisted, there would be dire consequences. Then came the Fukushima tsunami, earthquake, and reactor meltdown. After that, came a change of governments, and in came Shinzo Abe, who, let it be noted, stepped up Japan's defense spending, while reversing course on the state visit and mouthing America-friendly phrases and becoming the first Japanese Prime Minister to visit the Pearl Harbor memorial. Message received.
link

See above link for some other examples presented by Joseph P. Farell

posted on Sep, 16 2023 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: BernnieJGato

Ironically I quoted from the same article you linked. That was my post before discovering the additional "coincidences" that prompted me to make this thread:

We will never know for sure if the catastrophe in Derna, Libya could have been avoided but I have my suspicions. Lack of dam maintenance is at least one contributing factor to the enormous death toll there. Gaddafi was extremely interested in water infrastructure - see the Great Man-Made River project.

NATO bombs the Great Man-Made River

NATO’s Intervention Threatens Libya’s Unique Man-Made River

Eleven years after Qaddafi’s assassination, his main legacies, including GMMR, are suffering the many consequences of the NATO-supported rebellion that ended his rule. The entire project’s infrastructure is under threat. 

And here is the mind boggling yet unsurprising spin after the mass destruction event:

“Gaddafi was never interested in developing the country, ” she said. “In terms of infrastructure the country is weak, no matter how wealthy it is.

Libya’s deadly dam collapse was decades in the making

We came, we saw, he died (Killary) serves as the perfect illustration of what is wrong with the current ‘Rules-Based International Order’.

edit on 16-9-2023 by MindBodySpiritComplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2023 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Could someone help me and point me in the right direction on Google Earth, because I've looked and I cannot find any dams or should I say large bodies of water held back by a dam. It's supposedly up the Wadi Derna/ Wadi Darnah and I can't find any.

posted on Sep, 16 2023 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
Could someone help me and point me in the right direction on Google Earth, because I've looked and I cannot find any dams or should I say large bodies of water held back by a dam. It's supposedly up the Wadi Derna/ Wadi Darnah and I can't find any.

found this on Google maps at co ordinates

32.65919555087891, 22.577734687659873

FWIW not much water behind it though there is supposedly another behind it that collapsed too

posted on Sep, 17 2023 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6
Thanks putnam, I've also found the other dam just outside of Derna, it just looks like an earth dam. But what gets me (with my sceptic hat on ) the G earth images were took on the 19th of June 2023 the dams were breached on the 11th of September 2023. That's about just under 3 months. Now behind those dams there is hardly any water and given the country and area they hardly get any large amounts of rainfall and it is summer time. Very very strange, where did all the water come from and remember it had to be an awful lot of water.

edit on 17-9-2023 by crayzeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2023 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Don't underestimate the power of mother nature. Earthquakes and floods can happen in the blink of an eye

posted on Sep, 17 2023 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: whiteblack
Mother nature is powerful but it aint magical. Libya has an average rainfall of 16 to 27 inches a year, that's a year. If you care to look at the images the Wadi Derna in mid July is virtually empty. So to fill behind the top dam it would equate to over a 100 foot of rain in under 3 months. No way in a desert country in summer would it rain that severe.

posted on Sep, 17 2023 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: whiteblack

And it's a desert. Dried hard dirt doesn't absorb water well. Most of a large rainstorm after a dry period runs off. And it appears this Storm Daniel was at hurricane strength when it hit Libya. 20 or 30 inches of water complicated by 2 dam collapses.

Storm Daniel Link

edit on 17-9-2023 by ntech because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2023 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Thanks putnam, I've also found the other dam just outside of Derna, it just looks like an earth dam. But what gets me (with my sceptic hat on ) the G earth images were took on the 19th of June 2023 the dams were breached on the 11th of September 2023. That's about just under 3 months. Now behind those dams there is hardly any water and given the country and area they hardly get any large amounts of rainfall and it is summer time. Very very strange, where did all the water come from and remember it had to be an awful lot of water.

I could be wrong but I thought a few parts of Libya have access to the underground aquifer.

posted on Sep, 18 2023 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Yes, the dams are in what is normally a dry river bed - but (ironically) they were built for flood protection. Like many desert wadis, the river they were built in can flood very suddenly after heavy rain - however rare such rain may be. The dams were supposed to prevent a flash flood hitting the town. Sadly, the dams failed.

The rain on this occasion came from Storm Daniel, that had already caused record rainfall and flooding in Bulgaria, Greece and Turkey. Daniel was a Medicane - a rare tropical cyclone forming in the Mediterranean, aided by record high sea temperatures this summer. Very likely a sign of things to come.

edit on 18-9-2023 by AndyMayhew because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join