It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Hawaiian sovereignty has undeniable context for the Maui fires-Calls for Independence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2023 @ 05:54 AM
link   
www.sfgate.com...

This is an article that dates back to the 4th of July 2023

On the day celebrating the American colonies’ separation from Great Britain, Hawaii is relatively quiet in contrast to the continental United States, where fireworks light up neighborhoods across the country.

In Hawaii, July 4 is not a joyous occasion for some residents. This is because July 4 is also the day a group of businessmen self-declared the Islands to be the Republic of Hawaii in 1894, before imprisoning Queen Liliuokalani. Later, July 4, 1960, was chosen as the day the 50th star was added to the U.S. flag.

“July 4th is a painful reminder of the aloha aina warriors who are no longer with us, and a disgrace to our ancestors and the descendants of Hawaiian nationals who fought to resist american occupation,” John Garcia, minister of foreign affairs and second vice president for the independently formed government Nation of Hawaii, told SFGATE in an email.

Since the overthrow of the Hawaiian Kingdom in 1893, Hawaiian entities, like the Nation of Hawaii, continue to fight to restore control of Hawaii. Hawaiians do not all agree on the current status of the nation, the process of how it should be restored or whether it should be at all.

"We’re not fighting for sovereignty, you know, we’re already a sovereign and independent state since the 19th century. We’re just occupied. We need to bring compliance to international law and the law of occupation in order for the occupation to come to an end,” Keanu Sai, a University of Hawaii faculty member and political scientist who specializes in Hawaiian constitutionalism and international relations, told SFGATE.

A very interesting article reflecting how a good number of Hawaiians think about being part of the United States of America. Many feel they're Island is occupied and they need to be completely independent from the US. The recent fires and the response by the Federal Government have certainly ignited the conversations for full independence.

I found the usual channel by Russel Brand that covers stories about Government Incompetence and has a unique way of delivering his views. Here is the video

youtu.be...

Here is the NBC coverage on the subject with title:

Why Hawaiian sovereignty has undeniable context for the Maui fires

Scholars and activists say Native Hawaiians have ultimately been seeking their right to self-determination — an issue they say touches on the cause of the fires and affects Hawaii's healing.

As those in Maui try to make sense of the wildfires that left behind a trail of loss, experts and activists say the devastation has highlighted the issue of Hawaiian sovereignty.

Those involved in discussions around sovereignty, or the right of a nation-state to govern itself, spoke to NBC News to underscore that the issue has undeniable context for the fires. They include advocates and scholars fighting for international acknowledgment of the Kingdom of Hawaii as an existing nation-state to others working toward complete independence from U.S. interference.

The experts also spoke about the island’s fraught place in American history, which they say allowed corporations to expand and dry out the land in Lahaina, the town most severely devastated by the wildfires in the state. The U.S. claims that a congressional resolution passed in 1898 declared that the Hawaiian islands were “officially annexed.” But some scholars argue the resolution, an internal American law, has no legal standing in the Hawaiian Kingdom and makes American presence an illegal occupation.

But scholars and activists say that Native Hawaiians have ultimately been seeking their right to self-determination, or decision-making power, on their lands — and that the lack thereof is a root cause of the wildfires. And gaining agency and decision-making power, they add, is critical to healing.

“Lahaina is not America. But that fire is American. And it was really lit as far back as 1893,” said Keala Kelly, a filmmaker and sovereignty activist, referring to when U.S. troops illegally overthrew the Hawaiian queen. “Once the system of governance in Hawaii was stolen from us, everything about land and water became … this never-ending abusive system of theft

So a good question arises from the current situation in Hawai. Do you think Hawaiians have a strong case for independence from the US? The response to the devastated island by the Biden administration during and after the fires was terrible and it seems to have ignited calls for full independence.
edit on 11-9-2023 by AlienBorg because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2023 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: AlienBorg

They can definitely criticize the federal government for its response to the Maui fire.

But they need to hold their local officials accountable first.

That was complete incompetence.

posted on Sep, 11 2023 @ 07:12 AM
link   

So a good question arises from the current situation in Hawai. Do you think Hawaiians have a strong case for independence from the US? The response to the devastated island by the Biden administration during and after the fires was terrible and it seems to have ignited calls for full independence

I think most Hawaiians know independence would be incredibly hard now that they’ve adjusted to the modern era’s lifestyle.

They don’t have a ton of resources, and maintaining solid trade and a freestanding infrastructure would be incredibly hard for a small isolated island nation.

As for the federal response, I agree it’s been disappointing. But the federal government should really be there to help, not quarterback for most disasters. Again, I don’t think mainland reached out the same hand it would have for let’s say Florida, and we need to address that. But I have a feeling many just expect the federal government to “fix” this.

They need to put more pressure on their local and state government to be front and center in the logistics on this. And I can’t help but to see the irony their main gripe is the federal government isn’t just taking charge, and they’re upset by their level of autonomy. Not a good litmus test if you ask me.

posted on Sep, 11 2023 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

They would certainly be in for a big shift in economic policies and would need to look to island economies like that seen in the carribean or the pacific Islands who rely on tourism.

But, since the islands are such an anomaly for military positioning, the US fed better step up their game, Hawaii definitely has the upper hand in negotiating a better deal for Hawaiians.

posted on Sep, 11 2023 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

My question is, has the US federal government been denying requests for personnel or resources? Or has the local and state government been slow to make requests?

I framed that as my question because I don’t know the answer. I’ve read conflicting reports.

At the end of the day, the feds are notorious for fumbling in disaster response speed. That’s why it’s important local and state are well prepared. Judging by the events that lead up to this disaster in the first place, my confidence isn’t high in their preparedness.

Again, Hawaii should get just as good of a response as any state, proximity shouldn’t be an excuse as you pointed out we have a large naval presence (which means logistical too). But I do want to stress independence should be the last things on their mind if their gripe is the federal government didn’t just swoop in and take over all the effort.

posted on Sep, 11 2023 @ 08:03 AM
link   
My step dad was full-blooded Hawaiian, born and raised there. He seldom went back for family visits because it was too heartbreaking to see what had become of his home and his people.

Before becoming a state it was a paradise just waiting to be exploited. After becoming a state native Hawaiians have had a much harder time eking out a decent life and retaining their heritage.

The response to the Lahaina fires has been abysmal and every bit as bad as the response to Hurricane Katrina, and the aftermath yet to come may make Katrina look like a minor wind storm in comparison.

edit on 100000088America/Chicago301 by nugget1 because: sp

posted on Sep, 11 2023 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

According to some quick searches, the fires began to get out of control on Aug. 8th, and the feds promised 95million in aid, on the 10th of August, a day after the fires started dying down. The state declared a state of emergency shortly after power lines started being knocked over.

I think it all unfolded so fast no one respond fast enough it happened over a period of two days pretty much.

This link I found has a good timeline of the fires:

www.hawaiinewsnow.com...

Edit:

I should add that because the fires spread so quickly and caused so much damage a response everyone is looking for had to be drafted up quickly, but I think both state and fed governments didn't actually realize just how much damage had been caused.
edit on 11-9-2023 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2023 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

They can definitely criticize the federal government for its response to the Maui fire.

But they need to hold their local officials accountable first.

That was complete incompetence.

There is no question about this. But local officials were also under instructions on how to deal with these issues.

It seems though the federal government response to have ignited the independence scenarios for once more.
edit on 11-9-2023 by AlienBorg because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2023 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Not incompetence. They did exactly what they were directed to do.

posted on Sep, 11 2023 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Hawaii isn't a state, never was.
They are a conquered Kingdom that America 'calls' a state to make themselves feel better.
Get all non native Hawaiians out and let the Hawaiian people decide who is allowed to 'visit' the island. No non Hawaiians should be able to own Hawaiian land.

Might mess up Obammy's fake birth cert that he worked so hard to forge but no one believes he was born there to his underage mother anyhow.

edit on 11-9-2023 by VforVendettea because: (no reason given)

top topics

join