It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Federal Decriminalization of Marijuana on the Horizon

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2023 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: datguy

Democrats: Ignore the high taxes, high prices, inflation, open borders, rampant crime. . . .hey look! Legal pot!

Devil's advocate:

Please explain to me how this method within the playbook has failed?

Oh it hasn't.

They could have done it last year, the year before. . . . they really don't care about We, The People. . . .

They just know that dangling a carrot while the horse in still in the barn is a waste of a carrot.

posted on Sep, 5 2023 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

They could have done it last year, the year before. . . . they really don't care about We, The People. . . .

Indeed, and it's amazing how many political issues we could stuff under this exact umbrella.

They just know that dangling a carrot while the horse in still in the barn is a waste of a carrot.

Which is strange as I'd wager none of them could grow carrots or care for horses!

posted on Sep, 5 2023 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Of course it will be legalized. What good gang of communists wouldn't want all them taxes. Imagine if all that pot stopped at the border would be taxed.

posted on Sep, 5 2023 @ 09:51 PM
link   
We definitely need to get rid of the racist weed prohibition that's been in place for decades. We need to decriminalize all drugs. If we did that. We'd put all the drug gangs and cartels out of business. We'd have reduction in crime and violence. We'd have reduction of prison population. Reduction of court costs. Law Enforcement would be in less danger. A huge win for everyone.
edit on 5-9-2023 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2023 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
We definitely need to get rid of the racist weed prohibition that's been in place for decades. We need to decriminalize all drugs. If we did that. We'd put all the drug gangs and cartels out of business. We'd have reduction in crime and violence. We'd have reduction of prison population. Reduction of court costs. Law Enforcement would be in less danger. A huge win for everyone.

Living in Portland, I'd probably have an issue since they basically did all that.

posted on Sep, 5 2023 @ 11:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Democrats: Ignore the high taxes, high prices, inflation, open borders, rampant crime. . . .hey look! Legal pot!

Devil's advocate:

Please explain to me how this method within the playbook has failed?

30k~ a month for people prisoner.

How many for pot?

Quite the failure in tax spending when we’re not collecting taxes on the copious amounts sold under the table.

posted on Sep, 5 2023 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

As it relates to politics and messaging......

posted on Sep, 5 2023 @ 11:26 PM
link   

As it relates to politics and messaging......

Doublespeak, ask Kamala.

The dems haven’t really championed this issue past lip service. There have been a lot of red states that ‘would never’ legalize who have to great benefit.

posted on Sep, 5 2023 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Indeed.

It's going well here in MI.

posted on Sep, 5 2023 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Indeed.

It's going well here in MI.

I’ve had good experience with MI ‘caretakers’ in the early days 😎

MI had a rough go at things after the automotive fallout. They found a slight rebound with craft breweries and dispensaries.

Some don’t see those things as quality economic drivers, but if those things are being consumed anyways and always had I don’t see the harm in capitalizing on them.

The food scene in Michigan has been incredible since. I’ve been a regular visitor for about 20 years. There’s a nuance to what’s happened there, but man has that state seen some cool small businesses since the corporate fallout.

posted on Sep, 5 2023 @ 11:55 PM
link   

MI had a rough go at things after the automotive fallout. They found a slight rebound with craft breweries and dispensaries.

Which speaks to how far we've fallen ironically.

Some don’t see those things as quality economic drivers, but if those things are being consumed anyways and always had I don’t see the harm in capitalizing on them.

Well, from a liberty minded person, the gov't has zero need to involve itself especially knowing all we know now.

The food scene in Michigan has been incredible since. I’ve been a regular visitor for about 20 years. There’s a nuance to what’s happened there, but man has that state seen some cool small businesses since the corporate fallout.

As good as it is, it won't be replacing the quality of jobs lost with the exodus of manufacturing.

posted on Sep, 6 2023 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Agreed.

So what’s the next version of manufacturing? That’s what we need to explore IMO.

We can try our hardest to bring manufacturing back, but it won’t work unless we change the landscape of goods in our country… which could be done, but it would involve a separate conversation on options for consumer goods.

China has even started outsourcing manufacturing. They’ve discovered a small middle class, and are navigating the ramifications.

Maybe we just need to be ahead of the curve on what the next big blue collar industries are. We’ve written the script in the past, we could do it again.

Michigan still has access to most of the nations fresh water, tons of farmland, incredible tourist destinations, and a population primed for work.

If I didn’t hate winter I’d be investing up there.

posted on Sep, 6 2023 @ 12:14 AM
link   

So what’s the next version of manufacturing? That’s what we need to explore IMO.

We can try our hardest to bring manufacturing back, but it won’t work unless we change the landscape of goods in our country… which could be done, but it would involve a separate conversation on options for consumer goods.

I think that ship has sailed. We can't compete with Chinas low priced labor. The only way we stand a chance in that theater are to impose such high tariffs that we at cripple ourselves in the process. Even the microprocessor investments may fall way too late with quantum computing and AI already showing up.

The hard truth is that if we want to fix the problems, we have to consume and deal with less. And that requires a level of trust in elected representatives and corporations that we will never get back.

If I didn’t hate winter I’d be investing up there.

Real estate here is already pretty high. Combined with interest rates, we're set up for another big failure unfortunately.

posted on Sep, 6 2023 @ 06:29 AM
link   

In the 90's I had the pleasure of working for this organization in Massachusetts where I helped to lobby local and state legislatures as well as raise public awareness on the topic and promote local events like the "Hemp Fest" which was held annually on the Boston Commons.

I remember attending and supporting those events.

Additionally, The DEA will have to take the time to conduct its own studies on the matter. One of the issues brought up in the past, is that the rescheduling of marijuana would impact some foreign affairs and international trade laws.

They have had over 50 years to get this right.

So, given the information Do you think this could be the end of Marijuana prohibition? Do you support it?

I support it. Rescheduling is the logical thing to do. Will it happen? Who knows. Americans don't seem very logical lately. They are putting on masks again, most unaware that their government is headed towards a shut down in a matter of weeks.

Some questions:

Will the DEA reschedule before the government shuts down?

Will a rescheduling allow federal workers and contractors to use cannabis medicinally?

If rescheduled, will the federal government pursue a federal cannabis tax?

edit on 6-9-2023 by IndieA because: Added questions

posted on Sep, 6 2023 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: IndieA

They have had over 50 years to get this right.

And at every turn they offer some reason not to, previously they maintained the current stance, that is too addictive and harmful, we shall see if that changes given this new request by the HHS.

Will the DEA reschedule before the government shuts down?

Will a rescheduling allow federal workers and contractors to use cannabis medicinally?

If rescheduled, will the federal government pursue a federal cannabis tax?

I don't think so, if at all I feel it will occur during the peak of the presidential campaigns in an effort to sway voters. Unfortunately, lots of voting aged users would ignore any other issue and become single issue voters.

I doubt that certain federal agencies would then allow use, at least not in the near future.
and yes there would be major tax increases, I linked to an article earlier that showed efforts to raise the taxes up 25% over a span of several years after legalization.

There are also efforts against the push for legalization, There is a Cherokee tribe that is scheduled to vote today on legal pot measure in North Carolina, Chuck Edwards is trying to put a lid on it, no pun intended

GOP Congressman’s Bill Would Cut Federal Funding For States And Tribes That Legalize Marijuana

The so-called Stop Pot Act, sponsored by U.S. Rep. Chuck Edwards (R-NC), would withhold 10 percent of federal highway funding to jurisdictions “in which the purchase or public possession of marijuana for recreational purposes is lawful.” Introduction of the bill comes less than a week before a tribe in Edwards’s home state votes on an adult-use marijuana legalization referendum.

posted on Sep, 6 2023 @ 09:18 AM
link   

I wonder if people will be restricted to using the pharmaceutical products though....

They synthesis the stuff.

posted on Sep, 6 2023 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

yeah that could be an issue, I think and hope that once the federal prohibition is lifted, that the states will address their own laws. I know in MA. and some other states you can grow your own up to certain number of plants before you need to get a permit for cultivation

posted on Sep, 6 2023 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Its a complete travesty if they continue to criminalize a non addictive plant that treats other issues and needs way more research.

posted on Sep, 6 2023 @ 09:48 AM
link   
So far there is a huge all natural product market thriving in CA with no synthetics. I don't see that changing in the least.

a reply to: Itisnowagain

posted on Sep, 6 2023 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: billxam

Not much pot coming across the border anymore. That was 50 years ago. Now its fentanyl. There are now larg commercial corporate grows going on everywhere. California is probably the largest supplier of pot to the us, legal, medial or otherwise. there are 8 pot shops within2 miles of myhouse how much alcohol do you think comes across? See what imean?

Sorry about typos...waiting for a new keyboard from amazon.
edit on 9/6/2023 by CoyoteAngels because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join