It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Live worm found in Australian woman's brain in world first

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Don't know if anyone else has seen this but it sort of put the willy's up me.

I think most of us have seen videos of spiders etc being planted in humans and it literally makes my skin crawl.....but this is something else.

Scientists say the woman most likely caught the roundworm after collecting a type of native grass, Warrigal greens, beside a lake near where she lived. The area is also inhabited by carpet pythons.

For some reason the woman used the grass for cooking.
The woman then started feeling unwell.

The woman, 64, had for months suffered symptoms like stomach pain, a cough and night sweats, which evolved into forgetfulness and depression.

She was admitted to hospital in late January 2021, and a scan later revealed "an atypical lesion within the right frontal lobe of the brain".

When surgeons did a biopsy they immediately suspected something wasn't right.

The neurosurgeon who found the worm said she had only begun to touch the brain part that had shown up strangely in the scans when she felt it.

"I thought, gosh, that feels funny, you couldn't see anything more abnormal," said Dr Bandi.

"And then I was able to really feel something, and I took my tweezers and I pulled it out and I thought, 'Gosh! What is that? It's moving!"

"Everyone was shocked. And the worm that we found was happily moving, quite vigorously, outside the brain," she said.

The parasite could have been living in her brain for up to two months!

As stomach turning this is it also raises some frightening issues.
Apparently this parasite had never shown the ability to transfer from one species to another, yet here it quite clearly has.

Researchers warn the case highlights the increased danger of diseases and infections being passed from animals to people.

The ANU team reports that 30 new types of infections have appeared in the last 30 years. Three-quarters are zoonotic - infectious diseases that have jumped from animals to humans.

"It just shows as a human population burgeons, we move closer and encroach on animal habitats. This is an issue we see again and again, whether it's Nipah virus that's gone from wild bats to domestic pigs and then into people, whether it's a coronavirus like Sars or Mers that has jumped from bats into possibly a secondary animal and then into humans."

"Even though Covid is now slowly petering away, it is really important for epidemiologists… and governments to make sure they've got good infectious diseases surveillance around."

Scaremongering or genuine cause for concern?

www.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 29/8/23 by Freeborn because: grammar

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I was just about post this same.... you beat me

This kind of incidents are rare but possible. Nothing to be concerned about
Tho the idea of something flapping it´s tail in one´s brain is disgusting. I wonder if she had any halllucinations or motoric problems. i wished a bit deeper insight of her experience with the roundworm tho.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 03:18 PM
link   
mRNA (modRNA) vaccines weakening the immune system to the point where anything is possible it seems. We're going to see some crazy sh# over the next few years.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 03:18 PM
link   
The more you get out into Nature, the more Nature gets into you. It's no surprise that another parasite would evolve to feed on humans. Others do it and we are a plentiful food source.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

I was just about post this same.... you beat me

Sorry about that, I'm not one for starting threads. I genuinely thought someone would have posted this already.

The natural revulsion at the thought of having a worm crawling around in your brain is bad enough but then they start ramping up the fear factor by stressing the number of new types of infections.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Well, you can get brain worms from pork, so....

But yeah, gross.

And creepy.

link   
How did it cross the blood-brain barrier?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

link   

LOL i just got out of work an hour ago.. as a nurse i see all kind of things and deal all kind of issues.. As far as i know i have not seen roundworm in anyones´s brain and that is why i felt i need more information... who knows we all have this kind of implants

edit on 29-8-2023 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

A nibble at a time.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 03:59 PM
link   

I've been worried about Earwigs ever since this song came out in 1981

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 04:02 PM
link   
What if the reason most of the developed world has recently descended into clownery-is that these brain worms have slowly but steadily been growing in huge chunks of the population?

Loads of folks could have them-how many people have actually had a brain scan to check?

Bonus societal chaos points if the worms are actually alien parasites like the Gou'auld from Stargate.

edit on 29/8/2023 by Silcone Synapse because: sp

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Has this not happened to people who have ate slugs? Maybe the grass had slugs faecal matter on it?

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 04:42 PM
link   
With all of the problems in the world, do we really need to throw illithids in the mix?

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Aaaaahhhh ! This is great !
I clicked on it just for the gross, and it did not disappoint.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
Has this not happened to people who have ate slugs? Maybe the grass had slugs faecal matter on it?

I think when you chewem up, they’re done !

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 05:28 PM
link   

purely for data collection, but was she vaxxed I wonder?

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: stevieray

Na, some slugs have a parasite in them that kill. I believe they infect the brain. Pretty sure i read it somewhere were someone ate one for a dare. Bad move.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: stevieray

Na, some slugs have a parasite in them that kill. I believe they infect the brain. Pretty sure i read it somewhere were someone ate one for a dare. Bad move.

Lol, hey, I’ll believe you!
Lots of weird stuff out there, like what’s simply floating around in a pond.
I guess people should be happy with a pool at home or at the Y.
All the old country TV shows always have a sweet little lake or pond or river; maybe they killed as many kids or people as anything else. I don’t doubt it. Keep reading about it.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Scientists say the woman most likely caught the roundworm after collecting a type of native grass, Warrigal greens, beside a lake near where she lived. The area is also inhabited by carpet pythons.

"Gee hon, how come we haven't planned a trip down under? I keep hearing about how much better it is than the US". 🙄

Come on ATS Australia pushers, where yer at, mate? LOL...

"carpet pythons...." hahahaha.. oh man, yeah you keep the outback, I'll pass, always.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join