It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the Air Force is Screaming to Retire the A-10 Warthog

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2023 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Awww, my childhood nostalga airplane is getting retired. Lived under Davis Monthan AFB flight path for years. Gotta wonder what the USAF has in store. Still have C-130's I'm guessing, but what will replace the A-10.

Because it be a shame to see DM decommissioned.

Oh good, I got my own answer...

www.airforcetimes.com...

edit on 27-8-2023 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2023 @ 02:49 AM
link   
After having work phase at Moody, yea retire it... or actually incentivize people to stay in so they can be maintained correctly.

I liked some of the pilots there would hate to see their picture on a wall.

posted on Aug, 27 2023 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
Brilliant......problem solved then.

posted on Aug, 27 2023 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I mean low altitude, obviously. I think with it's bag of tricks, inc maneuverability, it's survivability might be understated.

posted on Aug, 27 2023 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

An S400, using a network of radars can see, identify, and shoot at targets as low as 50 feet, at over 100 miles. That’s why IADS are so dangerous. You’re not up against one system that can only see so far at low altitude. They might have five or six radars spread out to see high, and low altitude targets, and allow them to shoot at said targets.

posted on Aug, 27 2023 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Degradation33

The airplanes that I worked on and flew in, the ships that I sailed on are all gone except for one. I know the feeling.

posted on Aug, 27 2023 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Davis-Monthan is replacing the EC-130s with the EC-37B. The first of them is at L3Harris in Texas flying over the ranges that they have there. They'll keep that mission, in addition to AMARG, and the AFSOC wing.

posted on Sep, 17 2023 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

The airplanes that I worked on and flew in, the ships that I sailed on are all gone except for one. I know the feeling.

We don't realize change is happening because we are removed from the day-to-day. I looked at a photo of nested DD's from 1969 and the only one still floating is in a museum (DD-850.) Equipment is changing even more rapidly but we expect that. KW-26 and such are long gone along with R-390 and maybe R-1051.
My old friend, KL-7, is a museum piece now, and my Morse key bug is in a box somewhere. I wonder if there is backup to sat comms and if any RM can send Morse. Maybe it won't matter because if the sats get whacked, everything else will probably get smoked, too. It will be the old nuke weps release drill: Loosen belt, drop trou, bend way over and kiss your ass goodbye."

posted on Jan, 21 2024 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

well then the question for army guys becomes....
WHAT WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE COVER YOU?
an a10, f35, f15, drone, himars?

posted on Jan, 21 2024 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: reader110

The question for Army guys is “which would you like to have survive long enough to cover you”.

posted on Feb, 2 2024 @ 05:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: reader110
a reply to: 727Sky

well then the question for army guys becomes....
WHAT WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE COVER YOU?
an a10, f35, f15, drone, himars?

Honestly? A B-1 would be my first, second, and third choice.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join