It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lowrider Car Show

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2023 @ 12:28 PM
link   
This is a video of the recent Sparks Lowrider/Custom car/truck show in Sevierville, TN, just outside Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. I tried to get as many cars in the video, but it was incredibly hot and there were tons of entries in the show. There were some pretty awesome rides there and some owners have been working on theirs for nearly 3 decades! I liked them all, but the custom Harleys, the 2jz Supra and the old red truck with the 2 giant turbos under the hood really stood out to me. Personally, I wouldnt build a lowrider, but you cant deny the passion these people have for their rides and how cool the things look.

posted on Aug, 19 2023 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: esteay812

Nice, going to watch later in the evening. Lowriders are something you don't see often here, not the jumpy ones, though. We can have airride suspensions, though.

One thing I want to add is that with many of these more exotic and crazy car shows, the cars often do not drive and or do not drive good. I've seen engine bays with no fuel lines or any spark lines, just so it looks clean and nice. Often it's really just for optics.

posted on Aug, 19 2023 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: TDDAgain
I never thought about that. I'd say there are a few like that. Most of them drove in, but several were on trailers. I wasn't able to record on the first day, due to being at work, lol, but I wish I had gotten more video of them driving. There was quite a variety there, Lowriders, classics, modern, jacked up trucks, motorcycle lowriders, Fast & Furious Cars, bicycles, etc.

They put on a great show, it was basically like a fair, except with cars instead of rides.

I'm still trying to get better at recording them. Hopefully I can do better for the huge car show coming up called "The Grand Rod Run", can wait to see that one. I don't know if you saw the last video I made, it was not very good, but the cars were awesome. This one is a little better, as far as editing and filming. Fingers crossed my mind can remember all the mistakes and the next one is even better, lol.

posted on Aug, 19 2023 @ 02:25 PM
link   
The car can come via trailer and drive, though. Just wanted to point out many things you see are not really possible the way you see them. I see it as art though.

What I like most about such shows and meet ups is the atmosphere. We went to quiet a few car meetups with own cars, mostly JDM (Japanese Drift Machines) but also Volkswagen. It's also nice to see interest from others in own work, not for pride but sharing passion about what one does.

I can not speak for everyone but questions are always welcomed on such shows. I miss these days.

posted on Aug, 19 2023 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Lots of nice units in the Rockies...

esteay812...I thought your editing and filming was great.

edit on 19-8-2023 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2023 @ 06:32 PM
link   

I didn't realize what JDM meant. I was talking to a guy there and he referenced his car as a JDM 2-3 times. It was a real 2jz Supra. He said more numbers, maybe wk4 2jz hks or something like that. It was a pretty awesome car. I'm sure most of them drive, I just meant there were probably a couple that don't since several were trailered in.

It's hard to express just how low these trucks are to the ground. You have to be next to one of them to realize just how low they are. One of them, I think it's the last one in the video, was insanely modified, convertible, custom everything. I'm not sure it was ever a stock vehicle, lol.

posted on Aug, 19 2023 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Thanks, I've been trying to get better and not do too much. The last video wasnt great by any means, but I was just practicing using the editor, they're a lot more complex than people realize. I'm using Vegas Pro, an NLE, so it has a learning curve for someone who hasn't done editing much at all.

It seems like this style of car is a lot more popular toward the west coast. Eazy-E and the 64 impala, lol. Honestly, I was surprised how many cars showed up to this event.

posted on Aug, 19 2023 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I own a 64 Impala Lowrider. I’ve also always been into mini trucks my whole life. I’ve always wanted to go to this show in Tennessee. Thank you for posting this. This is very close to my heart.

posted on Aug, 19 2023 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDDAgain

Nice, going to watch later in the evening. Lowriders are something you don't see often here, not the jumpy ones, though. We can have airride suspensions, though.

One thing I want to add is that with many of these more exotic and crazy car shows, the cars often do not drive and or do not drive good. I've seen engine bays with no fuel lines or any spark lines, just so it looks clean and nice. Often it's really just for optics.

That’s so true.

Big difference between a car made for go, and a car made for show.

Personally, I’ve always thought the form of top-end function is the best look.

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 02:26 AM
link   
a reply to: VulcanWerks
The first times I went to car meetups in my late teens I was not thinking good about such cars. It felt pretentious to me but after a while I learned to see these cars as art. People would never see a nice engine put into scene like that otherwise. Often, also, the project car can't even be finished before the car show or meetup. Acknowledging their work is also a form of sharing respect for me, because these cars are detailed to the maximum even though they don't drive. Lot of love, blood and sweat.

Personally I like the "serious savage" style, aka Rallye, the most. It has something down-to-earth, is affordable, raw and no electronic helpers. Lot's of more soul than let's say fine tuned race cars like McLaren720. The community is hearty and strong, no one is afraid to get dirty. Huge difference to the money people that solely buy finished cars, take them to tracks and then go complaining you "put their car in danger", "a stone hit my windshield", "your car is so loud I can not hear myself thinkin" types of people mimimimi

lol rant over

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 03:05 AM
link   
JDM = Japanese Domestic Market. But in my region here where the scene is using them mostly for drifting, it has become Japanese Drift Machines, as a second term, in jest towards the BMW guys, often. I thought I should clear that up.

Yes, 2JZ is Toyota Supra ♥

My uncle and I went to JDM meetings, drag races and hill climbs with our Skylines from 2004-2013. He had his red R34 GTR (vspec) and I had a white R33 GTR. Was also his car but I built it up with him and was allowed to personalize it for myself. After his death in 2019, I had engine damage after police pulled me from the Autobahn. Cylinder wall between 3-4 broke due to thermal stresses. I had to shut down the engine blistering hot, turbo still spinning... and then I pulled the engine all myself for the first time ever, bought a 2.6L RB26DETT and modified it to RB28DET on free programmable ECU.

Why do I tell this? Because when I went back for the first and last car meeting all alone, and he was missing, he was missed dearly and no one left me alone sitting there. I got lot's of help unloading and loading the car onto the trailer, was invited for BBQ. For people like me and in the video, these meetups are like meeting distant family you can not meet often.

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ManSizedSquirrel

I love those and the '58s. I owned a '63 4-door years ago. Wasn't a lowrider, but I loved that car. There is a Biscayne lowrider in the video. Always thought they looked a lot like the '64 Impalas.

I hope you get to make the show next year. Such a great show and a great location for the show. So much to do in the Smokies.

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 08:57 PM
link   

😂

Those supercars cost so much, I'd be scared to get a scratch on it. I'd like to have a '95 Eagle Talon TSI, but even they're starting to get rare and pricey for a good one.

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 09:00 PM
link   

That's probably why I like going to these shows. I can sense the family vibe and the love they have for their cars and the people in that society.

posted on Aug, 22 2023 @ 12:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: TDDAgain
The first times I went to car meetups in my late teens I was not thinking good about such cars. It felt pretentious to me but after a while I learned to see these cars as art. People would never see a nice engine put into scene like that otherwise. Often, also, the project car can't even be finished before the car show or meetup. Acknowledging their work is also a form of sharing respect for me, because these cars are detailed to the maximum even though they don't drive. Lot of love, blood and sweat.

Personally I like the "serious savage" style, aka Rallye, the most. It has something down-to-earth, is affordable, raw and no electronic helpers. Lot's of more soul than let's say fine tuned race cars like McLaren720. The community is hearty and strong, no one is afraid to get dirty. Huge difference to the money people that solely buy finished cars, take them to tracks and then go complaining you "put their car in danger", "a stone hit my windshield", "your car is so loud I can not hear myself thinkin" types of people mimimimi

lol rant over

You know, that’s reasonable and right, to me.

My brevity didn’t properly convey my thoughts - cars that are bagged/dropped/stanced/etc. are absolutely works of art.

There are trucks (new and old), muscle cars (older ones), British sports cars (much older ones), microcars, classic Japanese iron…. I love all of it.

It’s all automotive expression. Just because it’s not in my garage doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate it for the love, labor and soul in it - plus some pretty creative body, design, and general skills.

I’ve daily driven, since I was 16, at minimum a “driver day” car. Built for the purpose. Pushing 40, I still getting thumbs up from teenagers.

And I still find functional art the best.

🍻

posted on Aug, 26 2023 @ 04:47 AM
link   
happened with these cars too.
the r33 gtr cost 25k in around 2005. around 2011 the prices began to rise and in 2015 already tripple the price and then it went crazy. 2020 I sold it. for 127k.

But I also dumped around 30k into the engine in 2019 and worked on it for almost half my life. hundreds of hours and dumped every thing I won in drag races over the years and then some.

last year Dec I bought a beaten down stripped R32 GTR, sent it to paint job, engine, transmission, suspension and sold it.

last week picked up an S4 B5 Quattro for 3k, owner gave up on it. exterior is fine, I am going to gut it out for weight reduction, suspensions, transmission overhaul and 1300hp 2.5l engine mod plus all support mods of course. already have interested buyers wanting to put a payment on it to secure it for themselves. UAE.

But I can only work on it every second weekend when my daughter is with her dad. parts going to be an issue though.

yeah family vibes! I am already excited for next year's 24h race on Nürburgring and may have the chance to be on a team as a backup mechanic. but only engine supervising, I do not have the physical strength and stamina for the front line anymore.

posted on Aug, 26 2023 @ 08:12 AM
link   

The best is that young and old, both people and the cars, come together because they share a passion and idea. Like you wrote, no matter what it is, if it has an engine, that is what unites.

Going to such events as visitor or with my own car, a tent, two sleeping bags and folding chairs, I met so many good people. Networking! The entry gate to custom performance parts money can't buy. "I heard your fuel catch tanks are awesome and just work, I have trouble with my own design...this and that is happening" "Aren't you the one that has a 1000kW AWD dyno?" "Yes" "When do you have time? I have a car that needs mapping, you map the car and I solve your fuel system issues with the catch tank, heck I bring a new one, tell me the specs and I weld one for you".

This is what's awesome. Or when this happened two years ago:

Thursday 7pm the whatsapp group lights up. One of the dudes crashed while finalizing the tune he worked months on his own, wanted to go to a drag event and already put the 2500€ down because he had a bet. Guy crying when he asked for help in the whatsapp group.

At lunch time on Saturday, around a dozen (some came, some left, some stayed) gear heads from all over the place including myself had replaced the engine with an almost finished RB28DET block I had laying around, did all bolt ons and support mods, got a new front painted and mounted.

We then packed a pickup with 300L fuel in canisters, a van with tools, a third car that drives 1-2km in front of us with radio to tell us the upcoming traffic situation. On our way to my shop where the AWD dyno is, I already had my standard map on the engine for bedding rings. We mapped the beast until the police showed up at around 1am.

By around 3am, the drivers had enough sleep and so we drove in a convoy to the drag race, with the race car running on a temporary insurance under the excuse of "research and development". We hit the place minutes before his line up. I got out of the car with my mapping headphones and the laptop at the start line, walked to the van, dropped on a mattress next to the other guys in my dirty clothes, slept 6 hours straight.

That welded us together as people, it was an amazing feeling of accomplishment and everybody, from the girlfriends that made sure we are somewhat nutritioned and drove like ten times to the fuel station to get all the fuel in the middle of the night, part dealer employee with access to the building and the balls to pull it off, the painter, the drivers, we mechanics and the others hanging around just supporting.

We hit that place like a race team. Guy won 4 of 5 races with no technical problems and the best is, more networking. We lived from fast food, beer, energydrinks, cigarettes, dicking around and the determination to help out this guy.

With the money he won, it was enough for everyone to get new tools, parts or just do whatever we want. Nobody was in for the money, but we were not willing to have this guy loose his starting fee that was 2500€, the car and his dignity.

One of the best times I had in my life.
edit on 26.8.2023 by TDDAgain because: was two years ago, damn sooo long ago already

posted on Sep, 19 2023 @ 12:15 AM
link   

edit on Tue Sep 19 2023 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

top topics

join