It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother of Democracy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2023 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Back from Crete. Greece is my favorite Country. Been there many times. You can travel by car from Germany to Italy and take the ship to Greece (but i takes nearly two days). Or you fly 2 hours. But Greece is everywhere anyways. Nature is archaic, not yet so extremely shaped by man. The ancient world is actually approachable here. The azure sea, the white bays, the water like a swimming pool. The white houses, the taverns, the sincere people. The thousand year old olive groves. The scent of an old world. The food permeated with fresh vegetables, herbs and fish. The nature sometimes barren like on mars, then again lush and colorful, you can pick figs from the wayside. The ruins, the old cities. The fortifications at the ports. You literally walk backwards through time. The philosophers, mathematicians, the language and music, strangely familiar. Chaos and order. Greece is the cradle of our civilization. I dont like patriotic pride much, that of the Greeks i somehow accept or understand.

We visit the place where the famous closing scene from Alexis Zorbas was filmed. And did not get the famous Sirtaki from Theodorakis out of the ear any more. Mikis Theorodakis was something like the father of the country. His songs are embedded in the DNA of the country, like "Sto Perigial".

At Hidden Seashore

At the hidden (or secret) seashore and white dove
We thirst but the water is tasteless
I go to the light sand and write her name
A beautiful breeze blows away the writing
With heart, with breath, desire, and passion
We pack up our life's mistakes and change our life.

For me, Crete is certainly one of the most beautiful Greek islands. Perfect for affordable dream vacation. Culture is for free in Greece. But it's hot in from July to September. Perfect weather to lose weight. A toast to human reason and morality! That's what we need in these times.

posted on Aug, 14 2023 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: malte85

Loved the videos! What a beautiful voice Theodorakis has!

posted on Aug, 14 2023 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1

(:
thats just a singer. theodorakis passed away 2021 aged 96. en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 14 2023 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1

This is him. Oh man, such beautiful music. Didn't listened for a while.

new topics

top topics

join